muay thai or jeet kune do?

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which of these arts would be best for street fights, one on one and multiple opponents? The arts are muay thai and jeet kune do. Please give reasons for your opinion and how one will dominate the other in the cases I stated. Thankyou :D

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Which is best?" threads usually go nowhere and garner a lot of trolling. But I will offer this: Although practiced as a sport, Muay Thai is a very tough art and could certainly be applied for street self defense. JKD is intended for self defense and includes a lot of Muay Thai. So there really isn't any "either/or" here. Just find the best school around and start training! Then get back to us and tell us how it's going.

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which of these arts would be best for street fights, one on one and multiple opponents? The arts are muay thai and jeet kune do. Please give reasons for your opinion and how one will dominate the other in the cases I stated. Thankyou :D

The answer is yes. The reason? Because. You're welcome. :D

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any art you train in, if your one on one opponent is not a trained fighter, should allow you to defend yourself until you can leave unharmed. If your opponent is trained, then the outcome will be determined by a lot of factors; experience, level of training of each combatant, who throws the first punch, determination of each opponent to win, etc.

In a confrontation with more than one opponent, the dynamics are varied and normally stacked against the single person. You must learn how to isolate your opponents, using them as blockers against each other, and ensure each punch, kick, or grapple is sufficiently blocking/redirecting, or damaging to the point of incapacitating the one you engage. You must ensure you aren't taken to the ground or that you can recover before you are injured or incapacitated. You must keep that up until you have defeated all opponents, either physically or mentally.

I don't know that much about either Muay Thai or JKD, so I don't know how much they teach multiple attacker defense. Even some arts that have it, such as in some forms, don't always teach the forms as multiple attacker defense. And just for my curiosity, why only Muay Thai or JKD?

If that sounds like I am not encouraging you to expect to take three months of any martial art and become the terror of the neighborhood, you are understanding correctly.

With multiple attackers, you are at a great disadvantage, and no matter how good you are, you may well lose and be badly injured. Even against a single attacker, if you don't know your attacker, you don't know his skills. No matter how good you are, you may always run across someone with more training and experience, or who is faster, or just luckier that day.

A properly learned martial art will help you very much. But proper learning can take over a year, and often several years.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Muay Thai is a very tough art and could certainly be applied for street self defense. JKD is intended for self defense and includes a lot of Muay Thai.

Also, Muay Thai may toughen you up better for 1-on-1 but JKD would likely include more options against weapons and grappling.

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Any art you train in, if your one on one opponent is not a trained fighter, should allow you to defend yourself until you can leave unharmed. If your opponent is trained, then the outcome will be determined by a lot of factors; experience, level of training of each combatant, who throws the first punch, determination of each opponent to win, etc.

In a confrontation with more than one opponent, the dynamics are varied and normally stacked against the single person. You must learn how to isolate your opponents, using them as blockers against each other, and ensure each punch, kick, or grapple is sufficiently blocking/redirecting, or damaging to the point of incapacitating the one you engage. You must ensure you aren't taken to the ground or that you can recover before you are injured or incapacitated. You must keep that up until you have defeated all opponents, either physically or mentally.

I don't know that much about either Muay Thai or JKD, so I don't know how much they teach multiple attacker defense. Even some arts that have it, such as in some forms, don't always teach the forms as multiple attacker defense. And just for my curiosity, why only Muay Thai or JKD?

If that sounds like I am not encouraging you to expect to take three months of any martial art and become the terror of the neighborhood, you are understanding correctly.

With multiple attackers, you are at a great disadvantage, and no matter how good you are, you may well lose and be badly injured. Even against a single attacker, if you don't know your attacker, you don't know his skills. No matter how good you are, you may always run across someone with more training and experience, or who is faster, or just luckier that day.

A properly learned martial art will help you very much. But proper learning can take over a year, and often several years.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

That may be nice, but unless you have unlimited free time, you will increase the time it takes to be really proficient in one of those arts. Whether you study one or both at the same time, your goal is to be really proficient. That takes time in any one art, never mind studying two together. If you choose to do it that way, you may find their methods of defense are so different they confuse the student of both. But as I said, I don't know enough about either one to say that would be so.

If you haven't yet, I would try to find schools that teach each of them, and watch a class or two. You might decide that one fits you much more than the other, or that neither looks like what you want.

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That may be nice, but unless you have unlimited free time, you will increase the time it takes to be really proficient in one of those arts. Whether you study one or both at the same time, your goal is to be really proficient. That takes time in any one art, never mind studying two together. If you choose to do it that way, you may find their methods of defense are so different they confuse the student of both. But as I said, I don't know enough about either one to say that would be so.

If you haven't yet, I would try to find schools that teach each of them, and watch a class or two. You might decide that one fits you much more than the other, or that neither looks like what you want.

I guess time is the problem but muay thai makes you tough and jeet kune do teaches against knifes and weopons

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That may be nice, but unless you have unlimited free time, you will increase the time it takes to be really proficient in one of those arts. Whether you study one or both at the same time, your goal is to be really proficient. That takes time in any one art, never mind studying two together. If you choose to do it that way, you may find their methods of defense are so different they confuse the student of both. But as I said, I don't know enough about either one to say that would be so.If you haven't yet, I would try to find schools that teach each of them, and watch a class or two. You might decide that one fits you much more than the other, or that neither looks like what you want.
Yeah it would be really nice if you find me a place

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah it would be really nice if you find me a place

I don't know where you live so I couldn't even search through Google. I am curious what difference it makes about the differences or similarities of the two MA you have asked about, if you don't even know where there are schools that teach them?

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know where you live so I couldn't even search through Google. I am curious what difference it makes about the differences or similarities of the two MA you have asked about, if you don't even know where there are schools that teach them?

I found 2 muaythai and one JKD but both muay thai and jkd are 2 days a week which is less. I live in Pakistan :)