help me choose which style

Bob Gnuheart

White Belt
Reaction score
Am looking to enroll family in martial arts. My wife has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, but I would like something a little more complete. 6 year old kid would do it also.

Several options locally, but have narrowd it down to two.

Jeet Kune do school. This place also does thai boxing classes (on a side note- what the heck is the difference between Thai boxing and Muay Thai?)

Another dojo here does Kenpo and Jujitsu (Japanese).

A black belt is one of the things on my life list (though I don't think Jeet Kune Do does belts) and I want the kids to learn to defend themselves.
Think it would be a fun family thing as well.

Help me make a decision.

thanks so much.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off: Welcome.

As to picking an art, I guess it's all it what pleases you. Take a look at the other offerings, as well. See if you can get the freebie class to help you select the one best for you.

Frankly, belts mean little to me, as it stands. I would trade all my belts (and suspenders) if I could be as great an artist as Bruce Lee.

Thai boxing = Muay Thai
Most devestating.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, welcome to MT :)

Most dojos will let you take a class or two to see how you feel about the art, I would suggest you do that and see which one better suits you. Each art has something to offer, it's a matter of which one works best for you. Good look in your search.

You should take the opportunity to stop into Meet & Greet and introduce yourself

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bob,

How fit are you? How tall? Do you have long legs or are you stocky? Are you pretty good as for co-ordination?

You need to see which way you kind of lean as for abilities.

If you have long legs and can become flexiable without to much trouble, then really TKD is a good bet.

Bit stocky or short legs? Kenpo and Jujitsu might be a very interesting way to go.

I don't know the diffrences between Thai boxing and Muay Thai, but I'd say keep your child out of that.

JKD? Man would I love to bump into some of that myself. But I think it's a bit far over your childs needs.

Ok, if you can find a Hapkido or JuJitsu, I'd be tempted since your wife is already has a dan at TKD.

Whatever you pick, stick with it! And as I was told as a newbe whitebelt... you will get your lumps!

Deaf

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is ultimately up to you but you really need to talk to the teachers of any school you are considering, not all will teach childern. There is a very good Wing Chun school near me and a JKD school and neither will teach childern.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeet Kune do school. This place also does thai boxing classes (on a side note- what the heck is the difference between Thai boxing and Muay Thai?)

Thai (kick)boxing is Muay Thai. It's fantastic one-on-one, unarmed self-defense. It's also very physical and tiring. It'd be premiere self-defense for your school-age child--all techniques are usable against bullies and the confidence to use it is assured since, well, you spar with it (eventually). Jeet Kune Do is also excellent self-defense and includes some weapon and multiple-attacker material. Gaining a literal black belt in either art is unusual (though I myself do have a black belt in JKD--local to my instructor's school only) but if you broaden your perspective to allow for instructorship status as a goal you're in business.

Another dojo here does Kenpo and Jujitsu (Japanese).

Both of these terms cover a broad variety of arts, but will generally be applicable to self-defense and will grant black belts. Is it American Kenpo, or a different variety?

Visit both schools as the instructor makes more difference than the style. All things being equal--and they never are!--and assuming six year olds are welcome, I feel that Muay Thai and JKD is a hard-to-beat combination for self-defense; add some grappling and you're fully set. But which school is fun enough to keep you all going? That matters too.

You must visit both!

Mr G

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Welcome Bob,
My son actually got me into Martial Arts. He was 7 at the time and has progressed nicely. Not all schools and/or instructors are adept at teaching children. If this is his goal, as much as yours, he should help you decide. Ask questions and see who connects with him. That might help you make your decisions...

Hope this can help,

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me it depends on your goals. If you are just interested in a "family hobby" it doesn't really matter which style you choose.

If you are interested in serious self-defense as well as a fun passtime, I think the JKD/Muay Thai school sounds like the way to go. With that mix (assuming the instructor is competent) you will get a good blend of effective SD material and a great workout.