What would be the best secondary martial art ?

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How beneficial would Hapkido be for me when I am already proficient in the striking aspect of a martial art ? I've been thinking of going with Hapkido for quite a while now, but my knowledge of this art is very limited. I've already checked out most of the Hapkido schools in my area and what I found to be very interesting is that some throwing and grappling is taught.

If you find a good Hapkido school, striking is not going to be it's prime focus - rather there will be lots of joint locks, throws, while still utilizing the kicks and striking you already know.

I have to agree with what seems to be the consensus - Hapkido will be the easiest transition.

OP
TKDJUDO

TKDJUDO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thans guys you've really helped me out a lot in making a good decision :wavey:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
icon10.gif

The best secondary art????

LOL! I'd ask what the best primary art is first. If that eternally argued question gets answered, then we can get to a secondary one. Good luck!

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have meet practitioners from all the above listed martial arts that were very effective and skilled martial artists; I have also met martial artists from all the above martial arts that trained at very good schools that were truly dangerous LOL mostly to themselves. It is not the art has been the subject of many threads.

When people get the urge to train in an additional martial art they should analyze carefully the reason(s) for the urge. There are many legitimate reasons, they could be bored or burnt out with their previous art, they may be finding a weakness in their skill set that they wish to further develop; they may not be feeling the continued challenges that they previously felt, it might simply be time for a change for examples. The way I see it you often have two choices, go with a second art that is from the same family and familiar to you or go with an art that is completely different. Both paths offer unique challenges and opportunities that should be weighed. Both paths will allow you to see and experience your previous art through different eyes and allow you to grow as you explore the second art. The choice really depends on the individual making it. Are they looking for ease in transition, something just a little different, views from a slightly different perspective yet still different? Or, are they looking for a different challenge, something that perhaps looks at situations from a completely different perspective than they are used to seeing? Would they enjoy learning the culture, perhaps the language and traditions of a completely foreign society or would they prefer to remain in the same traditions that they already are studying?

Once you know what level of challenges you are willing and eager to face, then all you have to do is find the right instructor for you.

Mrhnau wrote:
“Also have heard of a very good Systema school there, but can't find the URL. will look longer if you are interested enough.
found it. close to Char. http://www.palmettosystema.com/ “

+1 Mark is a great guy and very experienced talented martial artist. He is also a member of this forum FWIW.

Good luck in your search TKDJUDO

Regards
Brian King

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would recomend an art that is more suited for actual street self defense. Tae Kwon Do is good but it is more sport oriented IMO. I would suggest either BJJ or an art that has a little bit of stand up fighting as well as a little bit of grappling. Maybe Jeet Kune Do or some type of kung fu. I train in Sil Lum Kung Fu and like it.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well guys, I've been training in taekwondo for more than 7 years and the thought of learning a secondary martial art has been coming up lately and I don't really know which art to choose. I'm looking for an art that gives me a taste of Grappling, throwing, striking (hand), and self-defense but not too sure which one would be benificial for me. My conditioning is up to par given the fact that i've been training in taekwondo for a while but not too sure if my body would adapt to the throwing aspect of an art. Here's some arts i've been looking into, hope someone can give me a quick description of each art, and which one would benefit me

Hwa Rang Do
Hap Ki Do
Judo
Kuk Sool Won
Muay Thai
Jeet Kune Do
Krav Maga
Systema
Wing Chun

Actually if you're looking for grappling, I'd go for Aikido or jujitsu.

Latest Discussions