Most popular Martial Arts ??

German Coach

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dear Martial Artist,

just a quick question:

Which is the most popular and fastest spreading Martial Arts in the USA today ?

MMA / Free Fight Kick-Boxing Capoeira Brazilian Jiu Jitu Vale Tudo Systema Krav Maga

Other styles ?

Thank you for the answers !

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The most popular Martial Art is the one you train, plain and simple.

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
It's a fact that TKD is the most popular MA, in a large part due to its popularity with parents. Very profitable and very structured--good for kids.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here in the US, Taekwondo is the most popular in terms of sheer numbers.
MMA is on its way up though. Time will tell if it catches up though.

AoG

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
MMA for sure. It used to be that there was a TKD school on every corner, but now there MMA training schools in every alley now.

OP
German Coach

German Coach

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. The reason why I am asking is that everthing from the US will come over to Germany some years later. I visitid the US about 10 times in the nineties. From Inline skating to Tae Bo - some years later we had in Germany. Perhaps I should teach Taekwondo again (I am a 2nd Dan) or open up a MMA school. The problem is I have no idea about grappling wrestling ;-)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Come on, Terry. That's a platitude, not an answer to his question.

In terms of number of people practicing it's got to be TKD. A few decades ago I would have said Judo, but it seems to be on the wane. Nothing else even close except generic Karate.

For popularity as a spectator sport and if you look at recent growth it would be MMA. Boxing is withering. You could stretch a point and say that hockey and American football are combat sports, but most people wouldn't count them.

Saying "TKD because it's an Olympic sport" doesn't make sense. Fencing and Pentathlon are martial sports that have been in the Olympics forever. They are not terribly popular. Same with Judo, boxing, Greco-Roman wrestling and archery.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most numerous? I'd have to say that Shotokan Karate and Tae Kwon Do (of the various flavors) have the most people training in their systems. There are already quite a few strong organizations dedicated to the above systems, especially with groups such as the ATA, etc.

Fastest spreading? For a while, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu seemed to take quite a leap, ever since the MMA events were broadcast. If anything, the mixed martial arts competitions have bloomed quite

Krav Maga seems to have grown a good bit amongst the "no frills" crowd.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Vale Tudo?" I thought that "Vale Tudo" was just the name of a no-holds-barred competition, and not a style?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well in the cities I patrol is TKD..There seems to be one or 2 in almost city..

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over all of the usa maybe TKD. In any given area it may be different. when I was in southern calif., many years ago, kenpo was the most seen.
If there are areas where the martial arts has few schools and an instructor promotes his students to the level of teachers and then has them go down the road a ways and open a new school that instructor and his style will soon be the most popular in that area
I agree the MMA is popping up everywhere. I wonder what the next fad in the martial arts will be. (this was said to dish MMA but it has been a trend in the USA that one martial arts takes the eye of the country for a few years then another)

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I started it was Judo, lots of Karate (although many were flying a Karate banner but teaching other arts as the name was better known, some still do), Kung-Fu and a few Taekwondo.

Today, I'd say hands down Taekwondo for the most prolific. But, I've seen quite a bit of the upsurgence of BJJ and other arts, largely due to the popularity of UFC/Pride etc.

Latest Discussions