TKD vs Muay Thai fight

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No punching to the face, and by the looks of things no knees. Kind of a merging of rules I guess. Interesting fight to watch, the TKD guy was faster in his kicks, but they didn't seem to do anything and got caught fairly often.

[gv]-5585460401345378983[/gv]

*Disclaimer: Educational use only, no fighting over which style is better ;)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
No punching to the face, and by the looks of things no knees. Kind of a merging of rules I guess. Interesting fight to watch, the TKD guy was faster in his kicks, but they didn't seem to do anything and got caught fairly often.

*Disclaimer: Educational use only, no fighting over which style is better ;)

Looked like the MT guy was definately the better fighter in this matchup.

I wonder if the TKD was a point stylist: he didn't really look like he was prepared for contact – either giving or receiving (no penetration on his kicks). For example, he caught the guy with a sidekick early on, but didn't fully extended it.

The TKD guy's timing was also poor. If he would have connected with one of those jump back kicks, I'm sure it would have had some nice effect, but he kept throwing them at the wrong time (and missing horribly! :))

Nice clip; thanks for sharing!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a good thing they didn't allow elbows, knees, the clinch or punches to the head. As it was, the guy in the gi was hitting the floor too frequently for it to be safe. If the big guns had been allowed someone could have gotten seriously hurt.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like an Olympic fighter he never used all the power behind his kick as soon as they touched he pulled them back. To me this was a bad example of TKD but as is it was a nice clip Thanks as always

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
My TKD pals have answered for me already......Bad example of TKD. I agree with Terry, the fella was probably a great Olympic TKD guy and not much more.

Very very nice clip all the same. Hey don't you guys love all of us arm chair QB's? Hehehehehe.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dunno. I've seen a fair number of Muay Thai vs. Olympic TKD and Muay Thai vs. 'Traditional' TKD which is to say Muay Thai vs. Karate. The results are usually pretty much the same.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew in Olympic TKD they are tought to pull the kick once it hits the person and in Old school TKD they are tought to kick though there opponet which add alot more power behind the kick one is for a game of tag the other can hurt like hell.

I'm not trying to say MT fighters are bad but I believe it is more the fighter than the style just my added .02 cents.

By the way why was ther no punches landed just a obsevation

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like an Olympic fighter he never used all the power behind his kick as soon as they touched he pulled them back. To me this was a bad example of TKD but as is it was a nice clip Thanks as always

Unless the ITF's (he's wearing an ITF uniform at least) allowed into the Olympics now, I doubt he was an Olympic fighter.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless the ITF's (he's wearing an ITF uniform at least) allowed into the Olympics now, I doubt he was an Olympic fighter.

I look again and did not see ITF only Tae Kwon Do on the back of his uniform the black stripe are mainly used for Master but almost any BB can wear them now. If I miss the ITF spot sorry and then the guy was just a bad fighter and the MT fighter was overwhelming. Thanks

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont get these things, people (my friends) say this proves that muay thai is a better art than tae kwon do but how is one fight going to prove this?

Has anybody seen the one were its a shaolin monk against a so called TKD expert?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I look again and did not see ITF only Tae Kwon Do on the back of his uniform the black stripe are mainly used for Master but almost any BB can wear them now. If I miss the ITF spot sorry and then the guy was just a bad fighter and the MT fighter was overwhelming. Thanks

The ITF text on the back's not easy to see given the video's resolution since it's fairly small relative to the TKD tree etc. The patch on the front, and the velcro front closure on the top are other telltales tho.

All the same, he looked like he was using standard ITF continous point sparring rules (nothing below the waist, no grabbing etc) and the kickboxer was taking a completely different approach to the fight. He pretty much did nothing but trip the TKD guy the entire fight. Looked embarassing, but didn't look like either was delivering any real damage to the other.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ITF text on the back's not easy to see given the video's resolution since it's fairly small relative to the TKD tree etc. The patch on the front, and the velcro front closure on the top are other telltales tho.

All the same, he looked like he was using standard ITF continous point sparring rules (nothing below the waist, no grabbing etc) and the kickboxer was taking a completely different approach to the fight. He pretty much did nothing but trip the TKD guy the entire fight. Looked embarassing, but didn't look like either was delivering any real damage to the other.

Thanks Marginal know that I slowed it down I see it, Standard point sparring rules will not work, he the TKD guy should have use leg strikes back it is tought in the ITF.

meta_aesthete

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
BJJ 4TW!!!!!!11

. . . whoops, wrong forum.

I think the TKD guy certainly didn't do his homework about MT before this match. In my n00b opinion, the MT guy just closed inside TKD dude's "sweet spot" range, and TKD dude couldn't adapt.

He also didn't commit to his attacks, and once he got knocked off his feet a few times, he just sorta bounced around, wasting energy and letting MT dude control the fight.

TKD dude is pretty skilled -- I bet if he trained on committing power to his kicks and worked on some shorter-range kicking he could've put up a decent enough show.

But I don't study either of these arts, so I'm essentially an overweight WWE fan screaming at the TV in this case.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not trying to say MT fighters are bad but I believe it is more the fighter than the style just my added .02 cents.

It's always the fighter, but part of what makes the fighter is the techniques he chooses and the tactics he uses.

That is what I find interesting about these sort of clips, not the one style vs the other, but how different strategies and techniques work when put against each other.

In this case the Muay Thai fighter used his techniques with a superior strrategy, the TKD guy didn't come in with the best game plan.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's always the fighter, but part of what makes the fighter is the techniques he chooses and the tactics he uses.

That is what I find interesting about these sort of clips, not the one style vs the other, but how different strategies and techniques work when put against each other.

In this case the Muay Thai fighter used his techniques with a superior strrategy, the TKD guy didn't come in with the best game plan.

Yes agreed. I didn't see a twist kick, stomp kick or front leg wheel kick. Hey has anyone seen a judo match that didn't involve power throws? Same kind of thing.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love you man, but it almost sounds like you are building a style vs. style case. Thank you Terry for coming in with sound reason.

Not at all, just find it odd that you consider him a good TKD fighter, but a bad example of TKD.

Is it that you would consider him a good example of TKD, but a bad example of how to implement it in a non-TKD situation? Just wondering what your reasoning there is, thats all.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not at all, just find it odd that you consider him a good TKD fighter, but a bad example of TKD.

Is it that you would consider him a good example of TKD, but a bad example of how to implement it in a non-TKD situation? Just wondering what your reasoning there is, thats all.

He's good in general, but bad- given the fact that it wasn't strictly a TKD sparring competition. Nothing with hands, there could've and should've been better kicks, etc.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
This

plus this

seem to contradict each other ;)

Actually, they make perfect sense. My instructor and I were talking about something similar to this just tonight. A lot of sport Taekwondo has narrowed down to just a handful of techniques because of the way the sport competition works. So somebody who excels at sport Taekwondo is going to be very good at a small set of techniques and a small set of counter techniques.... probably to the point of not being too good at, or against, much else. So ironically, a good sport Taekwondo practitioner does not represent the art as a whole well when put up against anything other than another another Taekwondo opponent.

There's a lot more to Taekwondo then one usually sees in these things and I'd really like to see what would happen if a Taekwondo fighter trained more specifically for the purpose of sport-fighting agains other arts like this. Not that I think they would rulez or anything like that, but probably get a better showing than a lot of these "Taekwondo vs... " videos I see

Latest Discussions