Why train

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This come from a previous thread about training so my question is simple.

If you train and you are not completely satisfy and tired of all the BS in Martial Art thenwhy do you train.

If you do not train because of the water down system out there why have you not been able to find a place to train?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, politics are one of the biggest problems in the Martial Arts. People argue about how many stripes someone has on their belt, how quick someone advances, differences in the way material is performed. The list and go on and on and on.

For me, its really simple. I am not interested in politics. I attend the school I do to train, plain and simple. I dont feel that my art is watered down. I'm sure some variations to the techniques have took place, as things were passed from one person to the next, but the effectiveness is still there. We train hard. We have contact. We have aliveness and realism. We're open to other arts, as many of the Black Belts there cross train.

The problem is, is that many times, people look at an art and use that as a base for other schools that teach the same art. How can someone get an accurate picture of an art by looking at one place?

People need to research what they want before they join a school. Having a list of goals or what they want to get from the art is very important. If the school does not meet the needs, its simple...dont join. Keep searching until you find what you're looking for.

Mike

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
This come from a previous thread about training so my question is simple.

If you train and you are not completely satisfy and tired of all the BS in Martial Art thenwhy do you train.

If you do not train because of the water down system out there why have you not been able to find a place to train?

This is an interesting question, terryl. And I like the positive spin you've given it. :ultracool

I was in a position five or six or seven years ago when I became disillusioned with a studio because I felt it was teaching stuff that wouldn't work in the real world. In contrast to most of their students, I have had a lttle real world stuff happen over the years. :uhyeah: So I started crosstraining in an art that was the polar opposite: street effectiveness, but not much safety practiced in the studio. So, after several years of this, and me being over...well, over 50, OK? (it happens), I got hurt in the second studio--fairly seriously (neck). Really, it was just the final breakdown of old street and sports injuries taken to a new level. Continuing to practice full out with the 20- and 30-somethings became way too big a risk, and anything less than full out was unacceptable to the instructor.

I was really torn up, didn't know what to do. First studio was expensive and going nowhere. Second studio taught awesome stuff, but not much use from a wheelchair. So, was I done? MA--whether western, Asian, or scrapping on the street as a kid, have always been important to me, pretty integral in fact. How could that be over? What to do? The only thing possible. Pull way back on going to classes, and start teaching as I'd always planned anyway.

Now, I get the work, stay in touch with base arts/masters, and get to help others. And I can pick and choose the intensity and timing of my personal interaction (mat time) instead of having too much or too little. Perfect? No. But it works for me. Giving up the arts as long as I can still walk and move, is not an option. Love it too much, even if I'm an old geezer (but in the real deal, for that 5-15 seconds, I can still show up :)).

Good question, terryl. As you can see from the length of this post, really got me going. Thanks.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simply put, I train because it is part of me now. I tried several different schools and styles until I stumbled into the art I am in now. Most of the others arts I tried and didn't fit were because of either my own preconcived ideas and they didn't match up (not wrong on their part, but mine really), or because of just p-poor instructors. After I found this art I knew why I had continued the search throughout many, many years. I do not feel it is watered down at all, shoot if it is, I wasn't tough enough to do it when it was "real" :) I had perpetual bruises all over for the first 2 or 3 years. I train because I would be a wreck mentally, and physically without it. It is part of who I am.

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train because my gun is not suitable for all occasions, nor do I go about my day with it attached to my wrists or ankles. I train because I value my life, my peace, and the peace and lives of those in my circle of life. The mission statement is simple - promote peace, protect peace.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the love of the arts andthe hope of passing it on to my children. And the fact that I met My Wife in class, so it has a special place in our hearts.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simply put, I train because it is part of me now. I tried several different schools and styles until I stumbled into the art I am in now. Most of the others arts I tried and didn't fit were because of either my own preconcived ideas and they didn't match up (not wrong on their part, but mine really), or because of just p-poor instructors. After I found this art I knew why I had continued the search throughout many, many years. I do not feel it is watered down at all, shoot if it is, I wasn't tough enough to do it when it was "real" :) I had perpetual bruises all over for the first 2 or 3 years. I train because I would be a wreck mentally, and physically without it. It is part of who I am.

Oh sure, take my answer! :)

I started TKD kicking and screaming, protesting for all I was worth, and only went to shut my then-boyfriend up... and by the 3rd class, I was hooked. Something - to this day I'm not sure how much was the art, the instructor, the other students in the class, any of a long list of potential factors - just "clicked" - and that was it, I was hooked, and I've never looked back. When I can't go, I get antsy and uncomfortable - it is too big a part of who I am.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why train?

Well, there's always a power outlet for my laptop, no oxygen deprivation because you stay on the ground, it goes straight in to Manhattan, you can move about the compartment easier than you can on a plane....oh....sorry....wrong "train". :lol:

Eh...there is a lot going on in Martial Arts that I don't like. So I avoid what I don't like and stick with what I do like. Am I completely satisfied? Not yet, but what I'm the least satisfied with is the person in the mirror. I'd like to be able to fix that. ;)

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why train?

I started off in the martial arts because I wanted to learn as much as I could about them...they fascinated me.

They still do. I'm still learning, too...fifty years later.

I can't NOT train....

Latest Discussions