hesitation will cause
the worst fears to
come true.
:eek:

The 14th Style

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by sammy3170

I say who gives a fat rats clacker. If you enjoy what you do, good, keep doing it. This really is BS.

Cheers
Sammy

I really agree with you.Take the TLC list for what it was. Just a list. Nobody really takes those sort of lists seriously, do they?
I love Eskrima and wouldn't want to do anything else, but that's just me. Do I think my art is better than anybody else's? No, and I love to hear about, and watch other people practice what they do. Study the art you like. learn and grow.
The 14th style

OP
B

bob919

if bruce was alive today he would get his *** kicked by todays UFC fighters cause he would be like 62

OP
M

Master of Blades

I never thought of that...its so true.....

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by ace

Guns cause fear
fear causes hesitation
hesitation will cause
the worst fears to
come true.
:eek:

I think this is the only thing you ever said here that I agree with and no spelling mistakes. Congradulations:)

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Wolf

I think this is the only thing you ever said here that I agree with and no spelling mistakes. Congradulations:)

C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S

Cthulhu

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace

No More Mr. Nice Guy!! :bomb: :EG: :bomb:

Oh for crying out loud, why don't you do what you said and go away.

Remember, bye bye?

--Dave

:mad:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by ace

There was alot of Gung Fu & Karate
But that went away Quick.

My progress has gone fine

I live in BUFFALO, N.Y.
Yeah i guess being 27 is young.

UFC Made it's poiont i don't need to defend it
If U don't like don't Watch.

If U live in a cloud or under a rock
It's ok with Me.:wavey:
Ill bow out of this war for Now:D

Take Care Bye Bye:D
Uhhhh...

How about the UFC fighters who don't fight in other sets of rules? Such as Royce not accepting fights unless the rules of his liking are there. It's the same with almost every MMA match-up. You can't have a battle of styles. Some people try it by letting boxers only punch and can't do anything else, or wrestlers just grappling. Doesn't work. Others make it free-for-all with rules that do go against one or more strategies.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by RyuShiKan

I don't mind.

To me it reminds me of those religious nuts that have to tell everyone how "great" & "better' their religion is compared to everyone else's............
by repeating the same old rhetoric all the time I can't help but wonder if they I trying to convince me or themselves.
It's easy to tell who they are.

They say, "Just watch the UFC" and go on and on about how great someone like the Gracies are. Yeah, they are great. But the greatest Gracie IMO in wisdom AND in fighting skills is Rickson. And he's one of the few who respect all other arts equally.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by ace

I also have studied Arnis, Jkd/ Mauy Thai

I've done Ju Jitsu,Wrestling, Boxing
I've been to Bondo Seminars many of them
I've been to NinJitsu seminars

I've trained Wit Judoka's & Somboist.

So yes i can & will talk in the other forums
Since im familar with the subject.

Kirk Are U that same Guy they said
Needed a Hug??????????????????

:wah: :wah: :wah:
I guess U have not goton it yet.
><><><
The notion is that you are still inexperienced. You must have mastered every art above, right?

It takes a lifetime to master one art. And guessing you never took boxing or wrestling or anything like that other than a couple of years, you aren't knowledgeable enough to make conclusions. You been to a seminar. Great. You never trained in it? So what, that proves nothing.

All you proved was how you like MMA

You've done those arts. Have you studied them long enough to be good at it is another question.

That reminds me of the hundreds of boxers, wrestlers, and MMA people who come to the club. A few beginner boxers have trouble skipping rope. They say, "boxing sucks." Of those who stay, 30-70% quit on the first week of hitting. They get hit and don't like it.

Same with wrestling, they lose their first few matches and want to quit. Or the training is too hard.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by JDenz

First of all any surface that slows down a striker ie: mats is going to slow down a a grappler as well. What is the most dangerous time for a grappler? Closing to the clinch, If you think slow footing helps a grappler it doesn't, it actually makes it harder to take a good striker down. The only arguement that works about UFC being weighted towards grapplers is the cage. But so what fight in a ring then. I don't hear boxers or kickboxers or MT guys say fighting in a ring takes away there striking.
No offense to anyone but you are the guys that are resorting to personal attacks, I havent attacked anyone and Primo was commenting on a diffrent thread wth regards to kirk.
What is wrong with Buffalo. We are in a great spot we are less then a 2 hour drive from good instruction in any art. Toronto is practicly around the cornor, we have Hartmen here, We have great seminor, Esfhia is right down the road in Rocester.
Comparing fighting to religion is kind of accurate. I mean Most of the eastern arts have a whole religion base in them pretty much. For your guys information I have been to a Zen Buddist Temple, I have done Zen services with Sholin monks when they were in town. (Canada) They were pretty cool, but that doesn't mean I think they could really fight.
To the guy that said he has fought alot of grapplers and never lost, I have fought alot of strikers and never lost does that mean striking sucks? No it means I havent fought the a guy that could strike good and hard enough to finish me. I guarentie if you walked into a BJJ school and challenged everyone someone would probley beat you just like if I walked into a Karate school and challenged them. I started in Karate for three years saw how weak it was in alot of areas and augmented my training with submission fighting and boxing.
Difference is that the mat can even sometimes determine the winner. I will bring up a thing I saw. Royce Gracie was picked up by a guy high in the air. Gracie does a spin move with his momentum, lands on his head and neck. Gets in position to lock him up.

On the street, what will happen if he used the same move?

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by KennethKu

Are you saying that the Mantis system has no weakness?
Each system in its entireity really has weaknesses. It may be missing an aspect but the trade-off is that you focus more on the things that are there. Although you need a base knowledge in ALL aspects, it is not asked of you to be a master in every aspect because that is impossible. Rather, focus on your strengths and weaknesses.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by bob919

actually every art has a weakness i am not gonna bore you by listing them

you say that people don't stick with a single art long enough that my be true but moving to a differnt art after a couple of years is advantageous because it can help fill the holes in your training
How would you know the holes really?

Extensive grappling may not be taught until 10 years.

The problem is that you don't know the art. A bigger problem is that McDojos leave more holes so people have a conception that the art has holes which in fact, it's the school.

A couple of years isn't nearly enough. A couple years may be enough to go from newbie to beginner or beginner to intermediate.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by 7starmantis

Basically yes, what I'm saying is the weakness in training that so many people feel the need to fill by "crosstraining" is a weakness in the individual, not the system they are training in. Don't get me wrong, there are people who cross train for very specific reasons, but the people who say they are cross training to get well rounded, and learn striking from this art and kicks from this art, they are only feeding their weakness I believe. If you stick to one or a few systems that are very closely related, you will see your own inherant weaknesses and you can pinpoint them and train out those weaknesses. Its just my opinion but what I ask people most when they say a system didn't work for them is, " It didn't work for you, or you didn't work for it"?.

7sm
Couldn't have said it better myself.

OP
M

MartialArtist

I think that people are underestimating the MMa fighters. I don't think any MMA stylests say traditional arts are crap. I think that is a great thing about MMA. They have to take things from every art to be succesful it is JKD really. It is slanted a little towards grappling, but I think the slant is going back to the stand up arts right now. Everything has weaknesses. If it didn't Bruce Lee would not have been cool, Everyone would still be doing Judo and Kung Fu would never have become the flavor of the decade late 60's- mid seventies.
Yeah, most professional level people don't say traditional MA's are crap. But many novices do. And some people like Royce.

I disagree for slanted toward grappling. In the UFC, yes, because strikers are greatly limited. Of the hundreds of fights I've witnessed hundreds of fights while I stayed out of most of them. And yes, in the military in the 60's-today, they still do fight. Most of the time with both trained and untrained is that you hit until they go to the ground and you hit them on the ground. Unless there was a huge opening, they wouldn't bring them down.

But I would also witness changes in patterns. On wet grass, the people would wrestle. On hard ground, they would strike.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Lol only matters when the facts help you lol. I am saying that MMA's are underestimited most come from strong backgrounds in TKD, Karate, and a few Kung Fu guys.
Bruce was into everything. If you think he only used KF you are mistaken. He trained with every, boxers, judo jean, Chuck Norris. Read his books sometime if you are seriously interested, read Linda's writtings about Bruce. He took what worked from everything and made it fit him. Tradition is good but things are alot diffrent then they were back in the day. Styles developed because of the conditions around them and that is what I think MMA comes from. I mean at no other time in the world's history could you find video lessons on everyone's art? Found out information on a style, patterns kata's in less then a 5 mintues with a good conection.
Bruce said...

The art is as good as the person. He also said that if you are excellent in one area and weak in another area, you are still a perfect fighter. May not be the most rounded, but perfect. If you are the greatest striker in the world, you would rarely grapple and at most, would only need to know the basics.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Kirk

Bruce didn't even bother to wait till he mastered his wing chun
training. He put himself in top physical condition, that was a
huge goal of his, so again, he trained hard, which could be
the reason for his win/loss record.
Exactly.

Bruce didn't even even master wing chun. He was very good at it, but missed out on a lot of techniques such as the real one-inch punch. Yeah, he had it, but it was different from the way it was done in Hong Kong. For me, the one Bruce developed was a bit weaker but chances using the one-inch punch = 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by LeeKrol

My personal opinion is that Bruce went to Brazil back in his day and threw down with the best guys over there he would have had some trouble.

As for today, I believe that is a somewhat impossible question to answer. Bruce would have learned all he could have about the ground, all he could have about Muay Thai, and wrestling. The competitors nowadays train in everything. The amount of information that can be acquired in today's world is far greater than the amount back in Bruce's heyday. You didn't see nearly the full cross-training of styles that we see today, you didn't have nearly the knowledge of human physiology and dietary supplements that we have today. I'm not saying that every competitor is scientifically engineered by Muscle-Tech but their training regimes are far more advanced. If Bruce had the all of these tools available to him, I can bet he would have been training with the Brazilian Top Team, or Chute Boxe, or Hammer House. To just pull him out of his time and throw him into the ring with today's best would result in a slaughter in my humble opinion.

But honestly, if he was in his prime with the tools that today's athletes have, I bet he would be effective. Just my opinion.
That is just as effective as learning one part extensively and using the others for supplements.

If you use a number system of 1-10, a UFC fighter would be...

Grappling 4
Wrestling 3
Striking 2

which is just as effective in self-defense situations as

Grappling 2
Wrestling 2
Striking 6

or

grappling 5
wrrestling 3
striking 2

As you know the basic principles of every aspect, youc an be great. If you know the aspects of how to get out of a wrestling lock such as control the hips, control the hands, control distance... Then the most will come naturally and will be like instinct. You need to practice it, but you don't need a set of a hundred techniques. It's great to have a few that you feel comfortable with, but if you know the concepts, then you practically have hundreds of moves you can use without knowing it. You won't need to learn the back-to-front, the back-up-kneel move, and the hundreds of other variations.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Bruce Lee would be an old man and wouldn't have the ability to take on younger fighters. Although there were many old men, over 70 who were undefeated and people in their 20's and 30's couldn't even touch them.