Modern Self Defence Training

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
HOW DOES TRADITIONAL (ASIAN) MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING STAND UP AGAINST MODERN SELF DEFENCE TRAINING SUCH AS KRAV MAGA, SHOOT FIGHTING, HAND TO HAND COMBAT(MILITARY), GRAPPLING, GROUND FIGHTING AND CLOSE QUARTERS TRAINING.

SPECIFIC QUESTION: TRADITIONAL KARATE IS BASED ON HAVING SOME DISTANCE BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR ATTACKER...................

WHAT IF YOU ARE IN A SCITUATION THAT YOU DONT HAVE THE CONVINIENCE OF THAT SPACE........................................................

I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR OPINIONS.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to stick my foot in my mouth just yet, so why don't you give us your opinion first!

S

sweeper

well I'll be the pain in the butt that asks how JuiJutsu isn't a traditional art relative to karate, why can't traditional arts grapple and aren't alot of those arts sports rather than SD MA ?

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As requested heres my opinion, I feel that traditional martial arts have evolved over time as they needed to. EX. where no longer fighting on horseback with swords. Todays martial artist should have a variety of styles to prepare themselves for any scituation such as traditional, ground fighting, self defence, take downs escapes and also be prepared for any modern weapons that may become a factor such as guns or knives.

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Im not trying to imply that all traditional martial arts have no self defence or ground fighting. nor that Ju-Jitsu or any other form mentioned is not considered traditional, almost all martial arts form have been started years ago and are from the east but most dojo's do not teach any realistic self defence for the modern world.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
That depends on what you consider to be "realistic self defense." It's true that most "traditional" striking arts tend to start by teaching you to fight at a certain distance, but wouldn't you rather take out an attacker before they get close to you?

The human body hasn't changed it's shape all that much in 2,000 years. Every art can teach you techniques that have their time and place. Even arts like krav maga or shootfighting make assumptions that may not hold true in certain self-defense situations.

I do completely agree with you though that the best preparation for self-defense is to have learned several styles. No one art covers everything. (Well, theoretically Jeet Kune Do does, but not even Bruce Lee could have taught a person everything.)

How realistic do you consider Filipino MA? Aren't escrima, kali, and arnis "traditional" styles? They're probably the best systems for dealing with an attack by weapons.

No, most dojo's probably do not cover realistic self-defense in great depth. But that doesn't mean that the technuqies you learn there can't be applied to a life-or-death situation.

These are just my (very opinionated) answers to the questions you have raised DAC. Good questions though. We should probably ask ourselves this about our respective arts more often.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends also on where you are in your training as how much they will actually expose you to.

Its good to hold the old but I think that every instructor owes it to their students to open minded about the new!

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
It all depends on,

1. Are you learning the real stuff or are you learning from a fake instructor? It is no secret that some instructors cannot fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

2. How hard do you train?

M

MartialArtist

TMA or MMA, it doesn't matter.

Pain is pain, fighting is fighting, the body is the body, the mind is the mind.

You really shouldn't be worried about TMA or MMA... They are both equally practical although MMA is your best bet if you're looking for a crash course in fighting and you are time limited, but TMA really shows through after hard work and once you've developed, WOW! TMA is for the long-run, MMA is for the short run. Most professional MMA fighters have a root in a TMA like hwarang do, jujitsu/judo, kyokushin, boxing, freestyle wrestling, etc.

Of course, the long-run versus short-run is VERY GENERIC, and it doesn't apply to everyone.

What you should really be worried about is the teacher, not the art. The teacher is the 2nd most important thing on your development. The 1st and foremost important thing BY FAR is YOU. How much effort and training are you going to put in? 3 times a week for an hour isn't going to cut it. What are you going to do? How will you develop your mind? Do you have the heart? The burning flame? The determination?

M

MartialArtist

And you have misconceptions on things...

TMA includes grappling, look at jujitsu, judo, shuai chiao, Mongolian wrestling, hwarang do, hapkido, and the hundreds of other arts out there.

Hand-to-hand is almost all the arts excluding weapons arts, and military programs are based on TMA and MMA.

Shootfighting comes from TMA.

And TMA isn't just Asian.

Close-quarters training? There are hundreds of arts out there that stress in-fighting and in-fighting in very tight spaces.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by DAC..florida

SPECIFIC QUESTION: TRADITIONAL KARATE IS BASED ON HAVING SOME DISTANCE BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR ATTACKER...................

Is it?

I do Karate and have never heard that.

R

RyuShiKan

As requested heres my opinion, I feel that traditional martial arts have evolved over time as they needed to. EX. where no longer fighting on horseback with swords.

As far as I know there was only one art in Japan that fought under those conditions. (not including China and Korea, Monglia etc.)
The rest were based with feet on the ground and many used no weapon at all.

Todays martial artist should have a variety of styles to prepare themselves for any scituation such as traditional, ground fighting, self defence, take downs escapes

Oddly enough the more “traditional” styles of Karate have that……

………..and also be prepared for any modern weapons that may become a factor such as guns or knives.

The only modern weapon I can think of is the gun.
Tell ya what…………….you study whatever you want and I'll get my AK47 and we’ll see what happens. ;)

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by RyuShiKan
As far as I know there was only one art in Japan that fought under those conditions. (not including China and Korea, Monglia etc.)
The rest were based with feet on the ground and many used no weapon at all.

Oddly enough the more “traditional” styles of Karate have that……

The only modern weapon I can think of is the gun.
Tell ya what…………….you study whatever you want and I'll get my AK47 and we’ll see what happens. ;)
AK47? Too heavy for normal use. How about a M4?

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by MartialArtist
AK47? Too heavy for normal use. How about a M4?

Your right. What was I thinking.....

Maybe I should think of something along the lines of this little .50 cal hand gun.
(recoil is described as 'manageable')

Attachments

• $50cal.gif
    $50cal.gif
    46.5 KB · Views: 157
J

J-kid

I dont think you guys understand how hard it is to stop people with hits when they have a aderilein rush and they are charging at you.

To become a true fighter you have to know how to do it all, Strike Grapple, everything.

A

Antares33

JK... sometimes I wonder if you even bother to read the posts in a thread before you reply with drivel like that.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Judo-kid
I dont think you guys understand how hard it is to stop people with hits when they have a aderilein rush and they are charging at you.

And that would be based on you own true life experiences I am sure.

S

sammy3170

HOW DOES TRADITIONAL (ASIAN) MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING STAND UP AGAINST MODERN SELF DEFENCE TRAINING SUCH AS KRAV MAGA, SHOOT FIGHTING, HAND TO HAND COMBAT(MILITARY), GRAPPLING, GROUND FIGHTING AND CLOSE QUARTERS TRAINING.

WHAT IF YOU ARE IN A SCITUATION THAT YOU DONT HAVE THE CONVINIENCE OF THAT SPACE........................................................

I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR OPINIONS.

The group of martial arts you mentioned above are what could be described as the fad arts of the new millenium. I'm not saying they don't work, just that they are what more people are talking about and what are getting more press.

As for the comment about Traditional Karate requiring you to have space, where the hell did you get that from? Try a bit of research before you say dumb s$%t like that.

Cheers
Sammy