Having your hands up. Self defence.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How did I miss the point when I'm asking someone to explain something I don't use? Not everyone on here asks questions to be a butt. I'm asking because I don't know and I'm curious with how the stance works against a takedown.

Hey, sorry about that. I jumped the gun unfairly.

This Philly Shell stance can work well against take-downs.....say a Wrestler type, single or double leg, you can sprawl. While Judo throw attempts, your hands in this PS is still very mobile, especially the jab that comes up from a strange angle, that's much harder to see....to prevent the clinch, into take-down attempt.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course if blows are being exchanged, yes you would put your hands up to protect yourself from begin hit But I think when people suggest you don't put them up (in a fighting stance) for SD, they are referring to what takes place before blows you start striking. (as opposed to two poepel fighting where they will have their hands up in guard and be circling/bobbing/weaving prior to the exchange of blows).

Ideally, once you attack, you want a one way stream of attacks in his direction until the threat is neutralised, but things don't always go according to plan, so you need to some default position to protect yourself.

OK. Here is what I do. Someone wants to be Mr threat. I create space and get my hands up, I circle (actually I mostly don't Because it is silly) I bob and weave. I do this for two reasons.

My hands up are better able to defend than hands down.

Nobody can effectively stop punches from inside the pocket.

So I manage the situation to look just like a sparring match. If eyes closed wild arm swinging worked better. I would do that in sparring.(there is nothing stopping me sparring however I want)

So we are back to idiots have their hands down.

Get your hands up. Get yourself mobile.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Here is what I do. Someone wants to be Mr threat. I create space and get my hands up, I circle (actually I mostly don't Because it is silly) I bob and weave. I do this for two reasons.

My hands up are better able to defend than hands down.

Nobody can effectively stop punches from inside the pocket.

So I manage the situation to look just like a sparring match. If eyes closed wild arm swinging worked better. I would do that in sparring.(there is nothing stopping me sparring however I want)

So we are back to idiots have their hands down.

Get your hands up. Get yourself mobile.

Well your already mobile. Bob and weave is cool, but a move based on quick judgement IMHO of course. Yeah bob and weave descalates, but also accelerates tention. Could go either way then.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well your already mobile. Bob and weave is cool, but a move based on quick judgement IMHO of course. Yeah bob and weave descalates, but also accelerates tention. Could go either way then.

Life has risks. If there was a sure fire way of deescalation I would tell people to do that.

But sure fire deescalating is only for fiction and combat scenarios.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Life has risks. If there was a sure fire way of deescalation I would tell people to do that.

But sure fire deescalating is only for fiction and combat scenarios.

Well yeah. A fight is organic and pretty much obvious to the initiated. There is a sure fire way though. It is presence in all.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Every time someone tried to look for trouble, one of my friends would always hold a deputy sheriff patch in one hand, hold hand gun in another, and ask his opponent, "Which one do you want?" That was so cool.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well yeah. A fight is organic and pretty much obvious to the initiated. There is a sure fire way though. It is presence in all.

You would think it was pretty obvious. Still people train to identify threats based on a guy has his fists clenched has veins popping out his neck and giving you the stink eye. He might want to initiate combat with you.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing for sure is, before you train how to hit other's head, you have to train how to take a hit on your own head first.

For those who prefers to by pass that "being hit on the head" training, the "rhino guard" can be a short cut. If you can extend your arms, seal off your front door (between your arms), and only allow your opponent's punches to come through your side doors (on the right side of your right arm, or on the left side of your left arm), also since your extended arms will not give your opponent's arm to have the proper distance for his hook or uppercut (bending arm is shorter than straight arm, if your opponent tries to hook or uppercut your head, your "rhino horn" will hit on his face first), the chance that your head will get punched can be reduced.

The moment that your opponent tries to hit on your body, since your "rhino horn" is right in front of his face, his face will be exposed to your "rhino horn" attack.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would think it was pretty obvious. Still people train to identify threats based on a guy has his fists clenched has veins popping out his neck and giving you the stink eye. He might want to initiate combat with you.

Oh yeah for sure. That is I applied a little psychology game to it. I must stress that I am no expert on that, but you turn the obvious to your own advantage. At the end of day, they put their hands up, you do likewise, but convey the fact you own the ground, combat usually ends before it started. Training to be combative in SD is down to personal interpretation to me. Too many scenarios, so I guess training to go into a hands up is a bit of a escalator, rather than the opposite.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh yeah for sure. That is I applied a little psychology game to it. I must stress that I am no expert on that, but you turn the obvious to your own advantage. At the end of day, they put their hands up, you do likewise, but convey the fact you own the ground, combat usually ends before it started. Training to be combative in SD is down to personal interpretation to me. Too many scenarios, so I guess training to go into a hands up is a bit of a escalator, rather than the opposite.

You do have to escalate a bit. Or they are going to smell blood and go for you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Training cues is necessary for those who haven't been in situations that turned violent, because they don't have the experience to recognize them. In management training, I train managers in cues for dealing with angry employees (and know when "angry" is an understatement), so they don't get sucker-punched. If it helps there, it's also useful for my self-defense students.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do have to escalate a bit. Or they are going to smell blood and go for you.
Not always. I've backed down folks who were intent on a fight, simply by not being scared and not being willing to step into combat with them. I didn't escalate, I just controlled.

Maybe that's the same thing as you're saying. I've been known to misunderstand you before.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My street-fighting stance is a Boxer's Philly Shell/Mayweather's Crab Defense (but a little less aggressive and more relaxed, with a shorter leg stance) while maintaining distance that's a little out of striking range.

Most street altercations, starts out with posturing, choice of words, etc. Raising a high guard with hands up, indicates to bystanders and surveillance cameras that I may be the Aggressor and out looking for a fight. Say it's an argument over a parking space and he's yelling about it.....and so are you, but with your hands up in front of face? That may be conceived as escalation.
If your hands are closed into fists, yes. If they are open, fingers spread, palms facing your opponent, that body language is very pacifistic and non-threatening.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your hands are closed into fists, yes. If they are open, fingers spread, palms facing your opponent, that body language is very pacifistic and non-threatening.
Yes, assuming the rest of your body is also saying "non-aggressive".

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, assuming the rest of your body is also saying "non-aggressive".
The best self defense posture is to:

- Look down on the ground and avoid eyes contact.
- Drop down your arms next to your legs.
- Shake your body and pretend you are scare.
- Pee in your pants if you can.

You then suddenly jump in and eat your opponent alive. This is called "pretend you are a pig and eat a tiger".

pig_eat_tiger.jpg

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

But it still looks way more aggressive and combative than the Philly Shell stance. And many altercations starts out with talking and cussing... that can be non-threatening so who's going to just raise their hands up like this? If you were the Bouncer, would you raise both hands up, "open, fingers spread, palms facing your opponent"...? And how long would you keep them up because this video is over 5 minutes and that doesn't include what was missing before the camera-guy started rolling.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You then suddenly jump in and eat your opponent alive. This is called "pretend you are a pig and eat a tiger".

pig_eat_tiger.jpg

If I have peed my pants. I would then absolutely have to triangle choke them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

pig_eat_tiger.jpg
The sudden change can work well in most situations. I teach women not to look away, as some sexual predators report that turns them on.

Of course, any time you look away (down), you also run the risk that they take advantage of that moment to attack - a calculated risk.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

pig_eat_tiger.jpg

So good.

Latest Discussions