Modern Self Defence Training

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ninjitsu,fad yes, but the grappling arts are hear to stay. They’ve shown the world that arts have holes in them, including the grappling arts themselves.

But they have proven to us that the strikes are not enough to stop a good grappler. A comprehensive blend of close quarter combat and ground grappling is a good well rounded mix if trained in an effective way.

But in general, “my opinion” is that no one art is totally complete, nor will they ever be. The only differences are the modern martial arts are becoming more well balanced. By this I mean people are recognizing their weaknesses and instead of ignoring them, they are fixing them. It is easier to ignore. Show me an instructor who is not open minded and I will show you an instructor who has stopped learning!

A

A.R.K.

sammy3170

Krav Maga a 'fad'???

With respect, you may want to think that through again my friend.

Might want to work on those IPC skills a bit as well. The man has an opinion and is entitled to share it. Your welcome to disagree but flaming is not needed [or permitted I thought].

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When i said Traditional martial arts require you to have space from my experience most do but there are always exceptions to every rule, sorry to get you all fired up but i think you still got my point? In my OPINION your comment was not necessary but i do apreciate your other input.

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Judo-kid
I dont think you guys understand how hard it is to stop people with hits when they have a aderilein rush and they are charging at you.

To become a true fighter you have to know how to do it all, Strike Grapple, everything.
Although this has nothing to do with the thread, I agree.

But remember, it's all preparation. Most fights I've seen end with a punch. Not some submission. Because after the submission, and you let him go because he taps out, he'll come after you again. However, a submission as in not letting go until you seriously injure him is a different story.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it depends on the school and the teacher. Some styles are designed for close-range combat by nature (wing chun, grappling styles), but others can be modified. I remember meeting a tae kwon do instructor who still favored kicking attacks (which is of course what TKD does), but he modified the way he taught blocks. Instead of teaching the traditional wide, swinging motions that most schools do, he taught his students to use minimal movement; his TKD blocks looked almost like wing chun blocks! Personally I thought that was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen.

Latest Discussions