What do you want out of your training?

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was responding to another thread and it sparked me to start this one. I feel most people start in the martial arts for one of three reasons, or a little all of them.
1.Self Defence
2.Sport
3.Fitness
TKD for example is very big on the sport aspect. Most TKD schools train to win TKD matches. The training isnt geared 100% on self defence, so people tend to dogg it or drop out because TKD isnt good in a real fight. Some TKD schools are very hardcore on the self defence aspect and not so much the sport, that dont make them any better of a school than the others, it just means the want self defence to be the main priority in there training.
I dont think its fair to badmouth this style, or this school because they dont focus on self defence. If people are training for fitness or sport that is what they want out of martial arts, and that is there buisness.
Just because some people train in schools that are big on what works in a REAL fight, does not give them the right to insult other schools for training for sport, fitness, or just to better your attitute.
People need to sit back and say, what do I want out of my martial arts training, and what ever that happens to be, is the right thing for you. Dont let other people dicourage you from training in your school because they happen to want only self defence out of there training, that does not mean that you have to train for the same reason.

Any comments on this?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Yes! many of us want to learn self-defense and enjoy the excerise.

One of my reasons is to built self-esteem, confidence and most of all promote goodness in one self. Learning how to be a better person. In our school this is taught alot about building good character.

As one gets more involved and start teaching the younger students, this becomes more important to one self to be able to help others achieved their goals in life. Teaching others helps getting more out of your training.

Learning other arts also creates more knowledge, having started in Shotokan Karate then moving to kempo has taught me more on inside/close-in/take-downs, ways of fighting.

Mostly learning how to avoid conflict..................this needs to be taught more ( Judo-fu,Tongue-Fu, The Gift of Fear, etc.)............Aloha

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I filled out the application form, I put "life skills" beside the question that asked me why I was joining. It sounds kind of silly now, but I couldn't think of anything else at the time.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's a good question, I don't do it for fitness, that's covered by other activities, I definitely do not consider what I do a sport so that's out as well. I suppose the self defense aspect was an influence in starting, as well as a way to build self confidence. Mainly it was something that I wanted to do as long as I can remember and I really can't describe the reasoning. Maybe someone will post something that'll help me explain...If my only choices are the ones in the original post I'd have to go with self defense.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i guess i'm a little different than the status quo. i don't study the arts for fitness, confidence, self-esteem, sports, etc. i'm simply not looking for that style of gratification.

i study for the sole purpose of perfection in the art of personal protection combat. :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started for self-defense and exercise. Now I just enjoy it. It's a hobby and an art for me at this stage.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started out for self-defense and exercise as well. I had always had a fascination for the MA's. Then came this desire to be the best, at what I still don't know. Now I train for the love of the arts and the challenge of learning new systems and techniques. Even at 5th Dan in Chito-ryu there are still so many things I am still learning about this wonderfull system and now that I am training in TKD it gives me a whole new world of things to learn.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well when I started it was because my father said so, over the next twenty years it was for myself, not caring about anything in general except trying to pound people in tournaments and the PKA, then in my early twenty's I meet a man that change my life in California his name is Master Jin Kim some of you know him with his understanding of the Art of TKD he took me to a whole different enlightment, now I try to bring this to those I teach. My spiritual journey will never end and the perfection that ones seek in himself is only lacking if the effort is not there inside the heart.

Terry Lee Stoker :asian:

OP
DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My dad also was a big influence for me to join the arts, one of the biggest was Van Damme, I thought he was sooo cool when I was little. Then all of the other things that come out of being in the arts was like icing on the cake.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hehe yeah my dad is a big fan of Van Damme as well, so was I, I mean I loved Kickboxer with Dennis Alexio.

What I am looking for is self defense, and fitness.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know what it is but I don't know if I can describe it.

does anyone know what that word is when the actuality of something is more than the sum of its parts?

of course fitness and self defense are important, but its something more than that...

ack! someone help me out here...

studying martial arts is just satisfying and it helps you become a better person... but I dont think thats what I'm trying to say either...

*goes to sit in the corner and think*

G

goshawk

::laugh:: Like Samantha said, hard to put into words. Self-defence is important, practically speaking, and the exercise is great too. But those aren't the primary motivations, not for me. I practice martial arts for the art itself, for the joy and peace of mind that comes from finally getting that technique, perfecting that kata, figuring out why it's an extended outward and not a rising block. Nothing makes me feel more alive than that.

::ponders:: I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really "want something" in specific from my training. I just want to keep doing it. I'll keep on with the martial arts until my body gives out and shuts down and crumbles to dust, and then I'll invite St Peter to spar, just for the hell of it.

Yeah, I know. Addicted. =P

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I was responding to another thread and it sparked me to start this one. I feel most people start in the martial arts for one of three reasons, or a little all of them.
1.Self Defence
2.Sport
3.Fitness
TKD for example is very big on the sport aspect. Most TKD schools train to win TKD matches. The training isnt geared 100% on self defence, so people tend to dogg it or drop out because TKD isnt good in a real fight. Some TKD schools are very hardcore on the self defence aspect and not so much the sport, that dont make them any better of a school than the others, it just means the want self defence to be the main priority in there training.
I dont think its fair to badmouth this style, or this school because they dont focus on self defence. If people are training for fitness or sport that is what they want out of martial arts, and that is there buisness.
Just because some people train in schools that are big on what works in a REAL fight, does not give them the right to insult other schools for training for sport, fitness, or just to better your attitute.
People need to sit back and say, what do I want out of my martial arts training, and what ever that happens to be, is the right thing for you. Dont let other people dicourage you from training in your school because they happen to want only self defence out of there training, that does not mean that you have to train for the same reason.

Any comments on this?

You're correct! It all comes down to what the individual person wants to get out of his/her art. Some people are looking for SD, while some are looking for something to do after work, for some exercise, meet some different people, get a change from the gym scene.

When I first started, my goals were SD, fitness and confidence. Some of my goals have changed since then, and some have remained the same.

Mike

B

BaiKaiGuy

I would have to say hobby and art. Fitness I can get anywhere, and I'm not really concerned about sports as I have no real desire to become a competitive fighter, and self defense isn't a big concern for me as I haven't been in a fight in almost 25 years.

There's just something about MA, it's hard to put my finger on it. It builds something inside of you that I personally haven't found anywhere else.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Defensive purposes, while maintaining a traditional study of the martial arts, are my primary reasons, but I'm gladly enjoying the benefits that come with it, such as a better physical condition and health, better mental focus, etc. I do enjoy competitions as well, but this is not the reason why I study the martial arts; rather, the competition is a supplement to the main course, and not the main course itself!

It's simply a matter of different strokes for different folks. Some people want to study the martial arts for the sake of the art itself, while others do this so that they can compete. Some study it for the physical conditioning, and others primarily study it for the mental discipline. There are many reasons (too numerous to list) to do the martial arts. As long as it gets someone in the dojo, training hard, helping them, and for a good purpose, then so much the better.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first started it was for the self defense and the trophies you could win at tournaments. Now as I have grown and researched the art it has more to do with becoming a better person. Realizing that martial arts without the philosophy end of things is nothing more than just kicks and punches.

G

GRIM

This sounds really shallow but, I started because I really like fighting. I also wanted to develop better self control. I don't think that just fighting and my desire for self control has kept me going to the same school for over two years. Since starting in kenpo I found alot more than the two things that got me going and thats what keeps me coming back. That and loyalty to my organization and my instructors.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to be able to stay in it... keep my skills, stay fit and strong and have fun.
TW

Latest Discussions