Having your hands up. Self defence.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But it still looks way more aggressive and combative than the Philly Shell stance. And many altercations starts out with talking and cussing... that can be non-threatening so who's going to just raise their hands up like this? If you were the Bouncer, would you raise both hands up, "open, fingers spread, palms facing your opponent"...? And how long would you keep them up because this video is over 5 minutes and that doesn't include what was missing before the camera-guy started rolling.

I so don't miss those days - except for when I do. Those situations are a lot easier to deal with than they look. It comes with the job. Buncha' guys out drinking on the town. The key is you're sober - and working.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
any time you look away (down), you also run the risk that they take advantage of that moment to attack - a calculated risk.
When your opponent attacks you, he has to shift weight on his leading leg. If you are outside of the punching range and inside the kicking range, I believe this is the best "self-defense" distance because your opponent's punch can't reach you but your kick/sweep can reach him (leg is longer than arm), the moment that you detect your opponent has shifted more weight from his back foot into his front foot, you can

- sweep his leading leg and take him down.
- stomp on his leading leg knee to interrupt his forward movement.
- use toe push kick to kick his belly or chest to hurt him,

So even if you are looking down, you can still judge the correct distance and do whatever that you will need to do.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Problem with bringing your hands up too soon is that a self defense situation will become a street fight. Difference being that in most countries you will end up paying for it with jailtime or a heavy ticket after having spent some time in hold-up.

Make sure whatever stance you have that it is seen as passive by witnesses. It has to look as if you are in trouble because then somehow the law starts protecting you, but being able to outfight your opponent would mean you easily become responsible for any damage he takes. Not sure about this in the USA though given gun laws and such but not all live in the USA.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When your opponent attacks you, he has to shift weight on his leading leg. If you are outside of the punching range and inside the kicking range, I believe this is the best "self-defense" distance because your opponent's punch can't reach you but your kick/sweep can reach him (leg is longer than arm), the moment that you detect your opponent has shifted more weight from his back foot into his front foot, you can

- sweep his leading leg and take him down.
- stomp on his leading leg knee to interrupt his forward movement.
- use toe push kick to kick his belly or chest to hurt him,

So even if you are looking down, you can still judge the correct distance and do whatever that you will need to do.
Good points. I'll need to experiment with a downward look next time I have some students to "volunteer" as attackers.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Look downward? You don't have to watch their feet to see when they are shifting their weight forward. Watching their center works just fine.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look downward? You don't have to watch their feet to see when they are shifting their weight forward. Watching their center works just fine.
The comment was a reference to looking downward to make yourself look submissive and scared, just before opening a can of whup-***.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I so don't miss those days - except for when I do. Those situations are a lot easier to deal with than they look. It comes with the job. Buncha' guys out drinking on the town. The key is you're sober - and working.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The comment was a reference to looking downward to make yourself look submissive and scared, just before opening a can of whup-***.

Sideways works a bit better.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Having worked too many years as a bouncer, and most of my Law Enforcement career attached to the banking industry, I can tell you - bankers are absolute scoundrels. I imagine that guy got caught or we wouldn't know he was a banker. Yes?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Latest Discussions