MMA would never work in a real fight.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree....this kid killed a full grown adult in 30-40 seconds with a blood choke....which means that he was pretty good at it. He probably didn't know what to look for in terms of the guy passing out or about to die. Another guy on this thread tried to say that it takes "4 minutes" after someone went unconscious to kill them...which can't be right.

Sorry, but I'm still going to disagree with you here. The fact that he killed the guy does not mean that he knew what he was doing. In fact, it means the opposite..that he had no clue what he was doing.

I personally, don't know how long it takes, but wouldn't want to find out. Many variables comes into play (ie. size, strength, endurance, etc.). I know that I can make someone pass out in about 10-15 seconds, but during sparring, I usually let go or ease up at around the 10 second mark after knowing that my choke was locked in tight...as there's no Ref there supervising. This gives them a chance to tapout, even though sometimes they continue to fight by taking my goodwill as a free pass out of a choke.

It's just not that easy, in the heat of battle, to know if someone is passing out from an RNC.

A good friend of mine, and training partner is a BJJ Black Belt under Roy Harris. He's done a RNC on me, and I was tapping, before he fully applied it. Why? Mechanics. If you're applying it correctly, it shouldn't take long for the person to feel the effects. And as far as not knowing if someone is passing out...you're telling me there's no way to tell? I disagree.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sure, I agree that the adrenaline gets pumping, however, I have to wonder how many of the UFC fighters, both past and present, actually went into the ring, with the intent to seriously hurt, maim, etc, their opponent. IMO, I think the number is not as high as one may think, due to the fact that after the fight, we often see a mutual showing of respect/concern for the fighters, etc.

When both are throwing punches and kicks at the other's head and body, with all of their might...trying to cause a massive concussion to KO them, are they not trying to hurt the other? No different than how a street fight starts and usually ends if someone is KO'ed.

But think about it....how many times has a fighter continues to hammer fist and elbow his opponent in the same place, ie. the eye socket that's bleeding? Is this not maiming to try to WIN by ending the fight through excessive bleeding into the eyes... while inadvertently trying to BREAK HIS EYE SOCKET?

What happens after you realize that you've broken your opponent's nose and jaw yet they keep fighting and wouldn't quit? You continue to smash his nose and jaw in some more until he does quit or the Ref stops it? Is this not maiming someone?

How about a simple armbar? Once they get it, any fighter would crank it with all of their might in hopes that their opponent taps. If he doesn't, SNAP. Sure they shake hands afterward because it's part of the job that they both love and have mutual respect. They didn't want to maim their opponent, but it happens.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm still going to disagree with you here. The fact that he killed the guy does not mean that he knew what he was doing. In fact, it means the opposite..that he had no clue what he was doing.

He didn't know the danger of an RNC, but he was successful in applying it in order to cause death.

A good friend of mine, and training partner is a BJJ Black Belt under Roy Harris. He's done a RNC on me, and I was tapping, before he fully applied it. Why? Mechanics. If you're applying it correctly, it shouldn't take long for the person to feel the effects. And as far as not knowing if someone is passing out...you're telling me there's no way to tell? I disagree.

Well I just posted a video where that guy was getting ready to tapout by raising his hand into position, but was too late and he passed out. The Black belt who choked him didn't even know he passed out. There are more videos like this on YouTube and I've seen it happen a few times too, and the guy was a 3rd deg Black belt conducting a seminar. Sometimes, when the instructor is busy explaining the technique while demonstrating it live, he can make mistakes such as holding the choke in too tight and too fast. Crap happens. Your friend demonstrating on you is not of the same intensity compared to sparring, competition or a fight.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, been away for a bit.

When both are throwing punches and kicks at the other's head and body, with all of their might...trying to cause a massive concussion to KO them, are they not trying to hurt the other? No different than how a street fight starts and usually ends if someone is KO'ed.

But think about it....how many times has a fighter continues to hammer fist and elbow his opponent in the same place, ie. the eye socket that's bleeding? Is this not maiming to try to WIN by ending the fight through excessive bleeding into the eyes... while inadvertently trying to BREAK HIS EYE SOCKET?

What happens after you realize that you've broken your opponent's nose and jaw yet they keep fighting and wouldn't quit? You continue to smash his nose and jaw in some more until he does quit or the Ref stops it? Is this not maiming someone?

How about a simple armbar? Once they get it, any fighter would crank it with all of their might in hopes that their opponent taps. If he doesn't, SNAP. Sure they shake hands afterward because it's part of the job that they both love and have mutual respect. They didn't want to maim their opponent, but it happens.

Sure, I'll give you that, esp. in the early UFCs. Todays fights....how many have we seen in which it looks like the guy is barely hurt, and the fight is stopped? Seems like fighter safety today, is a much higher priority than it was in the early days.

He didn't know the danger of an RNC, but he was successful in applying it in order to cause death.

Still doesnt mean he had a clue as to what he was doing.

Well I just posted a video where that guy was getting ready to tapout by raising his hand into position, but was too late and he passed out. The Black belt who choked him didn't even know he passed out. There are more videos like this on YouTube and I've seen it happen a few times too, and the guy was a 3rd deg Black belt conducting a seminar. Sometimes, when the instructor is busy explaining the technique while demonstrating it live, he can make mistakes such as holding the choke in too tight and too fast. Crap happens. Your friend demonstrating on you is not of the same intensity compared to sparring, competition or a fight.

Hmm...so I guess tapping goes out the window then? Sorry, but anyone who puts themselves into a position to risk serious injury, just to prove they're a tough guy, doesnt have a brain in their head, and any inst who intentionally keeps a hold on, if someone is tapping, just to prove a point, is an ***.

Just my opinion.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sure, I'll give you that, esp. in the early UFCs. Todays fights....how many have we seen in which it looks like the guy is barely hurt, and the fight is stopped? Seems like fighter safety today, is a much higher priority than it was in the early days.

Up until the Ref stops the fight for safety reasons, the guy pummeling his opponent is doing so with full intentions of hurting them...no different than he would if this was a fight to the death in prison, or whatever. Full power and full intensity, non-stop.

Still doesnt mean he had a clue as to what he was doing.

An RNC is no big deal, we teach this to White belts on their first day training BJJ sometimes...and they get it in a few minutes. Some kid watching the UFC a few times can certainly figure it out and choke someone to death. How could this kid not have a clue when he was successful in killing someone with it? He probably didn't know how to do it well and certainly didn't know when to let go or ease off in order to not cause injury or death.

Hmm...so I guess tapping goes out the window then? Sorry, but anyone who puts themselves into a position to risk serious injury, just to prove they're a tough guy, doesnt have a brain in their head, and any inst who intentionally keeps a hold on, if someone is tapping, just to prove a point, is an ***.

You obviously didn't watch the video nor understood what I posted then. That was a Black belt demonstrating a technique. He just did it so well that the guy passed out in less than 5 seconds. He was about to tap, but passed out. There was no tap. Why would the instructor intentionally try hurt him?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Up until the Ref stops the fight for safety reasons, the guy pummeling his opponent is doing so with full intentions of hurting them...no different than he would if this was a fight to the death in prison, or whatever. Full power and full intensity, non-stop.

Ok....if you say so.

An RNC is no big deal, we teach this to White belts on their first day training BJJ sometimes...and they get it in a few minutes. Some kid watching the UFC a few times can certainly figure it out and choke someone to death. How could this kid not have a clue when he was successful in killing someone with it? He probably didn't know how to do it well and certainly didn't know when to let go or ease off in order to not cause injury or death.

Sure, you're correct...anyone can watch something and try to figure it out. However, that doesn't mean that because the person thinks they have it, that they really do. Thats the problem with some kids today...instead of going and getting the real training, they mimic and play, which usually results in injury or in this case, death.

You obviously didn't watch the video nor understood what I posted then. That was a Black belt demonstrating a technique. He just did it so well that the guy passed out in less than 5 seconds. He was about to tap, but passed out. There was no tap. Why would the instructor intentionally try hurt him?

Yup, just watched it. Interestingly enough, I've rolled many times, and have had locks and chokes slapped on me. I've also never been choked fully out. Know why? Because I had nothing to prove and wasn't ashamed to tap. If I feel the lock/choke really being put on good, I'll tap. I don't wait to the point of no return. Why would the inst intentionally try to hurt him? Oh, I dont know, but reading some of your other posts in this thread, I get the impression that people regularly try to intentionally hurt someone.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yup, just watched it. Interestingly enough, I've rolled many times, and have had locks and chokes slapped on me. I've also never been choked fully out. Know why? Because I had nothing to prove and wasn't ashamed to tap. If I feel the lock/choke really being put on good, I'll tap.

Depends who I'm rolling with. Against someone much better than me, I usually tap sooner because it would usually just be a waste of energy to try and resist when it's locked in. But against those my levels or close, and especially against those under me, I would risk coming close to unconsciousness. Sparring is still certainly a competition, whether people want to admit it or not. Everyone keeps tabs of who they've beaten and who's beaten them. There are grudges too. We don't pretend.

I don't wait to the point of no return. Why would the inst intentionally try to hurt him? Oh, I dont know, but reading some of your other posts in this thread, I get the impression that people regularly try to intentionally hurt someone.

Now you're being absurd. This BJJ choke video I posted is just a random one on YouTube of someone passing out. Has nothing to do with me nor my gym.

But certainly when my gym spars hard for KO's (standup striking), we certainly are trying to hurt each other. Leg kicks to the thigh, body, head, etc. certainly do hurt. And so do punches. We just make sure we don't strike at knees nor full knees, breaking ribs and such.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok....if you say so.

I'm glad you agree.

Sure, you're correct...anyone can watch something and try to figure it out. However, that doesn't mean that because the person thinks they have it, that they really do. Thats the problem with some kids today...instead of going and getting the real training, they mimic and play, which usually results in injury or in this case, death.

How does this kid not have it when he successfully killed someone in under 40 seconds?

Just like throwing a straight cross. You can learn it by watching it on TV and practicing it a few times....yet still can be able to pull it off in the street and KO someone.

Would be better if they trained at a real fighting gym where they will learn it properly w/more practice, sparring, etc. But it still can be effective learning from TV, just usually, not as effective. An RNC is not rocket science.

TFP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The simple answer is of course it does, I mean once you get past all the what ifs of "location" and "intent", blah, blah, blah MMA is a real life legit martial art that addresses many forms of fighting rolled up neatly into a nice little package that you as an artist can take and mold. Similar to JKD.

shirt answer is yes it works and more so than most every other SD martial art out there.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
...MMA is a real life legit martial art that addresses many forms of fighting rolled up neatly into a nice little package that you as an artist can take and mold. Similar to JKD.

If I understand MMA correctly, it's actually just a competition format, not a martial art. It's a form of competition with a rule set that allows for various - or "mixed" - martial arts to be used effectively.

So the original statement "MMA would never work in a real fight" doesn't really make much sense. If MMA is just a particular style of competition, then once you move to the context of a "real" fight, it's no longer MMA. Now it's just that particular fighter using whatever fighting skills he has to achieve whatever his goal is for the altercation (get away from a mugger, stop someone from harming him, knockout a loudmouth drunk, etc). Although his MMA training will probably help him in that situation, it's pretty likely that his approach to a real fight will differ considerably to his approach in the ring. He's certainly not going to be worried about MMA rules, and his goal is probably not to try and score a knockout/tapout.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tell you what, I'm going to try to turn this into a real discussion.

Absolutely correct, it wouldn't. Mainly because it isn't designed to. But the same can be said of every single martial art that I can think of, honestly, as each are designed with a particular environment, situation, and aim in mind, with that environment, situation, and aim being particular to the system itself. MMA, for example, trains for the environment of the competitive engagement, the situation of individual competition, and the aim of winning by submission or knockout against a single opponent. None of which is the same as a real fight.

However, and it's a big "however", the training methodology and technical material that go into making up MMA can be adapted, utilised, or executed in a 'real fight' with great success. Fighting exactly as you would in a ring would be ill-advised, for a range of reasons, but the training can be highly effective when used for the aims of defending yourself. Just don't think that a ref will stop anyone else getting involved with the fight.

I agree. It also depends on the fight. Guy trained in mma vs loud, drunk fool... You get the picture. It is best to avoid fights. There are too many unknowns. People pull knives, friends jump in, they bite, et cetera. Too many guys waste their time fantasizing about fights. You want something to fantasize about, try Selma Hayack or Halle Berry.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It would work to a certain extent only because like other sport like things it has rules. Including nether regions, eyes, ears etc as a target area changes the outcome of a real fight.

Also it's not about the system as much as who is actually doing it.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

What makes you think an assault is going to end when someone is KO'ed?

TFP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I understand MMA correctly, it's actually just a competition format, not a martial art. It's a form of competition with a rule set that allows for various - or "mixed" - martial arts to be used effectively.

So the original statement "MMA would never work in a real fight" doesn't really make much sense. If MMA is just a particular style of competition, then once you move to the context of a "real" fight, it's no longer MMA. Now it's just that particular fighter using whatever fighting skills he has to achieve whatever his goal is for the altercation (get away from a mugger, stop someone from harming him, knockout a loudmouth drunk, etc). Although his MMA training will probably help him in that situation, it's pretty likely that his approach to a real fight will differ considerably to his approach in the ring. He's certainly not going to be worried about MMA rules, and his goal is probably not to try and score a knockout/tapout.

Well the way I see it is the Gracie's started the Gracie challenge which led the the UFC's "style vs style" fights which led to martial artists needing to be well rounded which led to MMA as a sport which led to MMA as a martial art.

so no you arnt going to follow "MMA" rules in a street fight, but the fight itself will be very similar to what you see in the cage.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This one's back again? Really? Okay...

The simple answer is of course it does, I mean once you get past all the what ifs of "location" and "intent", blah, blah, blah MMA is a real life legit martial art that addresses many forms of fighting rolled up neatly into a nice little package that you as an artist can take and mold. Similar to JKD.

Well, that's rather incorrect. MMA is not a "real life legit martial art that addresses many forms of fighting rolled up neatly into a nice little package", it's a competitive and training format which encourages a broader fighting range than, say, boxing, or Judo. It addresses exactly one form of fighting, which is MMA competitive fighting. And it really isn't that similar to JKD, anymore than krav maga is similar to BJJ.

shirt answer is yes it works and more so than most every other SD martial art out there.

Ha, I get that that was a typo, but it just opens up to such a perfect response, I really can't resist....

Your "shirt" answer is complete pants. What do you know of "SD martial arts"? And why would you think that a competition format, designed for a context removed from and alien to self defence would therefore give you something that works better or more than arts/systems designed specifically for such a context?

I'm thinking that Bas Rutten would do just fine in a real fight...as would many other retired and current MMA fighters

Sure... Bas is a natural fighter. He was in his karate, and continued to be when he moved to MMA, and continues to be as he presents his "street fighting" approach. I don't think MMA is the crucial aspect, nor the defining one for him, or many of the others that could have such a comment directed towards them.

MMA is a competition format, but it's also a training methodology (geared towards success in that competitive format, of course). To that end, it's not really something that allows, or even encourages genuine mixtures of martial arts (remember, the term was coined, not for single athletes who combined a variety of arts in their approach, but for the format which had different arts competing against each other... a mixture of martial arts in the competition), it encourages multiple ranges to be trained. Really, MMA should be called "Multi-Ranged Unarmed Combat Sports", but the initialism just doesn't flow as well... (hmm... MRUCS... nah...).

Yep. Of course, you've hit upon one of the big differences there... you list "get away from a mugger". Where, in MMA training, does it teach you to escape and run? This is part of the limitations of sporting approaches, and what removes such things from being "reality"... training in MMA (or other sporting methods) will encourage, in fact, insist upon engaging the opponent. You don't run away in the cage, you have to stay and fight. And, if you want to win, you have to aggressively engage... even if it doesn't go to a knockout or submission, the judges will score your performance... and, if you aren't aggressive, you don't get points. You may even have them taken. You simply can't win without having the focus being move in and engage. That can mean that, if you rely on MMA training for handling all "real world" encounters, you go in and engage when it's just not a smart, or preferred option. On the same token, MMA training doesn't really deal with "stop someone from harming you" either... for much the same reasons. Defences are there to prevent you losing, not to stop the other guy hurting you, in the end.

I agree. It also depends on the fight. Guy trained in mma vs loud, drunk fool... You get the picture. It is best to avoid fights. There are too many unknowns. People pull knives, friends jump in, they bite, et cetera. Too many guys waste their time fantasizing about fights. You want something to fantasize about, try Selma Hayack or Halle Berry.

Ha, sure... but, when done the right way, the use of the imagination is not only powerful, I'd say essential to proper training. Imagining yourself taking on impossible odds and getting the girl, though, is not the right way...

What makes you think an assault is going to end when someone is KO'ed?

Er.... the poster was banned quite a while back (this thread is from over two and a half years ago, with the last comments over a year back...), so not sure that you'll get an answer to that...

Well the way I see it is the Gracie's started the Gracie challenge which led the the UFC's "style vs style" fights which led to martial artists needing to be well rounded which led to MMA as a sport which led to MMA as a martial art.

Needing to be well rounded for what, though? That's been the main question... needing to be well rounded to handle themselves in a competitive format which engages in multiple ranges against a similarly skilled opponent in an agreed and specified context and contest is one thing, but it really doesn't mean that it proves anything for anything else. Essentially, it showed that, in order to be successful in MMA competition, you needed to be well trained in MMA-style methodology. That was it.

so no you arnt going to follow "MMA" rules in a street fight, but the fight itself will be very similar to what you see in the cage.

I should hope not! The stuff I see in the cage, in actual usage, can be desperately ill-advised... real fights aren't what you've been looking at on you-tube, you know...

Kyokai79

White Belt
Reaction score
The opinions being spewed on this matter seem full of pure ignorance and bias and I have not the time energy nor gumption to indulge any further than simply to state 2 things:

MMA is not a "competition format". "UFC" is a competition format for which MMA are displayed. Strikeforce, Pride, WEC; those are what competition formatting is. They are the competitive format for which MMA are pitted against one another. MMA itself isn't simply a "competition format" just because when used during/in a sanctioned-competition setting (pride, ufc, wec) there are rules within those competitions. Outside of those competitions, such as in unsanctioned matches or street fights, self defense scenarios, there are no rules and MMA works just fine..

Which brings me to my next point..
anyone saying that "MMA wouldn't work in a real fight"..has most likey, A. never been in a real fight and/or B. know very, very little about reality and fighting.
I will leave you with this, go start a "real fight", which I assume means "no rules", with an MMA practicioner and when it's over, as yourself whether its useful or not. If you can still speak.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The opinions being spewed on this matter seem full of pure ignorance and bias and I have not the time energy nor gumption to indulge any further than simply to state 2 things:

I think that might be a bit harsh. Bias perhaps but not so much ignorance. Like you, I have been watching the comments flow without commenting.

MMA is not a "competition format". "UFC" is a competition format for which MMA are displayed. Strikeforce, Pride, WEC; those are what competition formatting is. They are the competitive format for which MMA are pitted against one another. MMA itself isn't simply a "competition format" just because when used during/in a sanctioned-competition setting (pride, ufc, wec) there are rules within those competitions. Outside of those competitions, such as in unsanctioned matches or street fights, self defense scenarios, there are no rules and MMA works just fine..

As 'MMA' is now being promoted as competition I think that it could well be considered 'competition format' but not in a way that detracts from the training. It has developed in a very similar way to your Kyokushin karate. Mas Oyama started with Shotokan, wanted it to be harder and more 'real' so trained Goju Kai then started his own style with competition included. No one is going to say that Kyokushin karate wouldn't work in a real fight and be taken seriously. It is exactly the same with MMA training. Certainly the training is designed to give people the skills to compete but what it is actually teaching is a rounded set of fighting skills seen in other martial arts but designed to cover all aspects of ring or cage fighting. It is very similar to the 'freestyle' karate that developed in the 70s and 80s.

anyone saying that "MMA wouldn't work in a real fight"..has most likey, A. never been in a real fight and/or B. know very, very little about reality and fighting.

Perhaps the OP is correct, in a literal sense. MMA itself is not doing the fighting. It is the person in the fight. How that fight turns out will depend on many factors but principally how much training and experience a person has. I would back someone like Bas Ruten in any bar fight and even against a number of opponents. He is MMA (with Kyokushin background). But what about little Willie Smith? Willie is 17, 5'7" and 125 pounds wringing wet. His mum enrolled him in an MMA school six months ago because she was sick and tired of Willie coming home every day with a blood nose. Now Willie is training MMA but I doubt very much it will help him against a thug on the street. Nothing is black and white. People get precious about their style of training but it is up to the person whether a style of training will be sufficient to help them on the street, not the style itself.

I will leave you with this, go start a "real fight", which I assume means "no rules", with an MMA practicioner and when it's over, as yourself whether its useful or not. If you can still speak.

What you really mean is, go pick a fight with a highly trained MMA competitor and see how you fare. Me and Bas? No contest. Me and Willie, well that's another story. ;)

And what most people seem to be ignoring is that most fights are between people with little or no training. Many are drunk at the time. Psychologically someone picking a fight with you has, in his own mind, already decided he can defeat you. Only a fool would start a real fight expecting to be beaten. Will your MMA skills be enough in that scenario? Quite possible, but never guaranteed.
Welcome to MT. :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hmm, did someone challenge your take on reality?

MMA is not a "competition format".

Yes it is. It is also a training methodology, geared around success in that competitive format.

"UFC" is a competition format for which MMA are displayed. Strikeforce, Pride, WEC; those are what competition formatting is.

No, those are promotions/companies that utilize the format of MMA competition.

They are the competitive format for which MMA are pitted against one another.

I'm assuming you mean "in which mixed martial artists are pitted against one another", because the usage of the initialism "MMA" ("Mixed Martial Arts") doesn't actually make sense there... of course, if that is what you're saying, then you missed the reality of definitions here. They are promotions in which MMA competitors/athletes compete against one another in an MMA-format competition. You're not doing well.

MMA itself isn't simply a "competition format" just because when used during/in a sanctioned-competition setting (pride, ufc, wec) there are rules within those competitions. Outside of those competitions, such as in unsanctioned matches or street fights, self defense scenarios, there are no rules and MMA works just fine..

No, it's a competition format because, well, it's a format, an approach to training, that is geared to, and centered around, a particular format of competition. Unsanctioned matches fought in an MMA format don't really prove anything about the applicability/usage of MMA outside of an MMA format, you realise... and self defence scenarios have nothing to do with MMA...

Er, been in real fights, know quite a bit about the realities of violence on a large number of levels, have trained MMA, have trained BJJ, done some boxing, and far, far more. You were saying?

Ha, love it... You do realize that, were someone like myself to go out to actively and deliberately find an MMA guy to "start a real fight" with, it's not going to be anything like what you're thinking of, yeah? If I'm going out with that an an aim, I'm going to give myself quite an edge... and it's hardly going to be a fair contest... and I'm not backing the MMA guy (or anyone, really).

Seriously, you decided to sign up to the site, wait the few days it takes to get activated, just to do a drive-by non-post, and that's it? It could at least have been informed, rather than simply displaying the exact same ignorance and bias you're accusing others of....

CNida

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. :)

MMA is a competitive sport, yes. It may have, back in the day, been idealized as a "which style is superior" type of tournament but it is long since removed from it.

That said? I don't think MMA works as a highly reliable method of self defense in and of itself. But like K-Man wisely pointed out... It is not the style but the person using it. I truly believe there are applications which can be derived from MMA to use in any altercation.

Does it teach you to run away? No. Teach you to avoid a conflict? Nah. But I think it would be silly to say that in a pinch, you couldn't use some of those techniques effectively to defend yourself.

It's just my layman opinion but it feels like all MMA training does is give someone a better "puncher's chance" so to speak. Not the best sort of training to have in that situation, but better than absolutely no training at all.

And now I feel utterly silly saying anything on this ancient thread. ;)

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." - Anonymous

Latest Discussions