UFC 167 - First Female Maincard Fight

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really. It's more likely with a pool as small as the women, but not in the UFC. Which really only hurts cyborg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Probably won't be seeing a Rousey v. Cyborg fight anytime soon in the UFC. Cyborg just signed with another promotion. I agree with what you said earlier. Rousey is THE name in women's MMA right now (in America), Cyborg is a nobody to the american public, her flash in the pan was the fight against Carano that was tainted by tested positive for steroids.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree with you Twin, but there have been plenty of examples of steroid use within the UFC, when the baby face assassin (can't remember his real name) beat Randy Couture for the title, it was later uncovered that he had used steroids and tbh, looking at his eyes when he won it was quite apparent.

Yes, he was stripped of the title and Randy was offered it back, which he refused claiming a loss was a loss no matter the situation. But once old baby face was confirmed as clean he was allowed to compete again.

The same has been done for Chris Leben, who has, if I remember correctly been tested positive for steroids at one time and also for cocaine. He was also temporarily banned but allowed to compete again once proven his system was clean again. Another example is Chael Sonnen who tested positive for a form of performance enhancing drug when he almost beat Anderson Silva. Not only has he been back he has had another title shot since and is due for another one in April against Jon Jones.

So although there is part of me that agrees with the statement that they have cheated and should not be allowed to compete again, I do think you will see fighters like Cyborg back as the UFC has not yet permanently banned anyone for taken any form of drug, performance enhancing or not.

You are thinking of Josh Barnett, he tested positive (a couple times now) for steroids. Chris Leben has tested positive for steroids and other drugs before. Chael Sonnen DID test positive for steroids and served his ban, and that was BEFORE he ever fought Silva. Sonnen was clean for both of their fights.

Tim Sylvia also tested positive for steroids in the UFC after gaining the HW title.

Like any sport, if you are popular with the fans and draw crowds/money they will give you another shot. In the end, it is all about money.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
i dont care if she is sugar ray robinson reincarnated, she cheated

i dont care what else a cheater did or didnt do, it is ALL tainted, just like Royce Gracie, hell, he cheated and still lost.

That is incorrect. The fight was in 2007, Royce Gracie vs. Sakuraba in a rematch. Royce won via decision and then tested positive for steroids after the fight. If you look at Gracie's record, they still have the win on there with no indicator of the drug test failure. It was the last time Royce has fought though.

IMO I think that the minimum is that the fight is changed to a loss on the record or at least ruled a "no contest". Same way if the fighter is DQ'd for a rule violation during the fight.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't think it's "roid rage", aside from not agreeing there is such a thing (I know a lot of bodybuilders that are openly on steroids and I've never seen this rage people have mentioned before) I think it's more a tactic used by people for arguments sake rather than actual knowledge of what steroids can do to a person medically and psychologically.

The ferocity I've seen has been from earlier fights, a lot earlier. She just seems to have this natural instinct that you see in some fighters.

Agreed, roid rage is more of a media hype than a medical reality. Most of those guys were *******s BEFORE they started to roid up. I think that in certain rare circumstances it could happen, but not like the media portrays.

If you really want to educate yourself (in general not you specifically jezr) on steroid usage, watch the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster". it is very enlightening.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigger, Stronger, Faster was a fascinating documentary. Its floating around YouTube, for anyone interested.

OP
Mauthos

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Punisher and yep, it was Josh Barnett I was thinking about. Only question I have is relating to this:

Chael Sonnen DID test positive for steroids and served his ban, and that was BEFORE he ever fought Silva. Sonnen was clean for both of their fights.

I thought that Chael Sonnen's failed test for PEDs was after UFC 117 where he fought Anderson Silva for the first time? I may be wrong, but I think he claimed it was a natural drug he had used, but did serve his 1 year ban to then get his rematch with Anderson at UFC 148 (after a couple of other fights first obviously), please correct me if I am wrong. :)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Punisher and yep, it was Josh Barnett I was thinking about. Only question I have is relating to this:

I thought that Chael Sonnen's failed test for PEDs was after UFC 117 where he fought Anderson Silva for the first time? I may be wrong, but I think he claimed it was a natural drug he had used, but did serve his 1 year ban to then get his rematch with Anderson at UFC 148 (after a couple of other fights first obviously), please correct me if I am wrong. :)

I was wrong, I didn't realize that their two fights were so far apart. Sonnen failed the test, but the athletic commission later reversed it's decision because Sonnen was under a doctor's care and should have been on the testosterone. The commission did still impose a 6 month suspension for failure to disclose that on the medical forms (the original was going to be a 1 year suspension for the PED violation).

OP
Mauthos

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to answer. I am a UFC nut, love to watch it but have a poor, poor memory concerning any statistics etc.

Thanks again. :)

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just an interesting note to bring us back on topic:

[video=youtube_share;Ex7whuyytQ8]http://youtu.be/Ex7whuyytQ8[/video]

Hopefully that video works, because I'm at work and YouTube is blocked so I can't confirm that it embedded properly. If it didn't, though, you can click here to go to the video. According to Dana White, UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche has already sold more tickets than UFC 155: Junior Dos Santos vs. Cain Velasquez.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carmouche's arm where she tried to sink in the standing RNC. She also sunk her arm into Ronda's teeth. Classy.
306194_613482802000284_1713868439_n.jpg

courtesy of 'Real Women watch MMA'

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carmouche's arm where she tried to sink in the standing RNC. She also sunk her arm into Ronda's teeth. Classy.
306194_613482802000284_1713868439_n.jpg

courtesy of 'Real Women watch MMA'

No mouth guard? Or is that showing how much pressure must have been on her jaw?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No mouth guard? Or is that showing how much pressure must have been on her jaw?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

They actually discussed this in the post-fight press conference. Liz said that the couldn't get her arm in place for the choke so she cranked it across the face, which put her arm in Ronda's mouth, and Ronda said that caused her mouthpiece to pop down off of her teeth. Both agreed that it was accidental, and in looking at the fight it doesn't appear that it caused Liz to let go of her neck crank.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bigger, Stronger, Faster was a fascinating documentary. Its floating around YouTube, for anyone interested.

Really enjoyed this, is well worth the watch.

i dont care if she is sugar ray robinson reincarnated, she cheated

i dont care what else a cheater did or didnt do, it is ALL tainted, just like Royce Gracie, hell, he cheated and still lost.

Watch that doco Carol mentioned, might give you some insight to the physiology of a steroid taker. I think everyone should get at least one chance to make up for a bad decision. She's done the time, and as people have stated, she now has to live with it, and start all over and see if she can recover her career.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the mind set of the cheater?

pretty sure it is something like this:

i want to do good, but it is hard, i think i will cheat, and then i will be awesome

no, you will be a cheater

cyborg is a POS

she cheated. and i dont care why