Minimum time for a belt?

OP
H

Hefeweizen

In response to "WHy does it matter?" I have to agree with the other purple belt above. Learning new stuff is based on what belt you're wearing, and as a student I didn't get to choose that Kenpo has a rainbow of belts. I could care less about the color I'm wearing, per se. It's the difference in class content that matters, and unfortunately that is based on what color belt I'm wearing (and whether I'm just reviewing as I wait for the next testing).

Think of exams in college. Remember studying the material up to a point where you've got it down fairly well, to the point where you receive an 'A' on the exam? Now get to that point of knowledge of your notes and be told to review that very same set of notes one hour a day, 6-7 days a week for a month until the next opportunity arises for you to learn something new.

Now, no doubt I'm striving for mastery of all of the techniques, so I realize that lots of practice is a good thing. But there comes a point when it's just time to move on, especially when the dojo's very own instructors say so and then oops... your promotion is blocked because you didnt meet a minimum time requirement.

OP
P

pineapple head

Originally posted by Hefeweizen
In response to "WHy does it matter?" I have to agree with the other purple belt above. Learning new stuff is based on what belt you're wearing, and as a student I didn't get to choose that Kenpo has a rainbow of belts. I could care less about the color I'm wearing, per se. It's the difference in class content that matters, and unfortunately that is based on what color belt I'm wearing (and whether I'm just reviewing as I wait for the next testing).

Think of exams in college. Remember studying the material up to a point where you've got it down fairly well, to the point where you receive an 'A' on the exam? Now get to that point of knowledge of your notes and be told to review that very same set of notes one hour a day, 6-7 days a week for a month until the next opportunity arises for you to learn something new.

Now, no doubt I'm striving for mastery of all of the techniques, so I realize that lots of practice is a good thing. But there comes a point when it's just time to move on, especially when the dojo's very own instructors say so and then oops... your promotion is blocked because you didnt meet a minimum time requirement.

Got to agree a little on this one , there does come a time to learn new stuff.Being part of a small club myself i work a lot with new students , i get hungry for new material although i know my old material is not 100%,but will it ever be?
:asian:

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Um...exactly how long is it since you last tested, if you don't mind my asking?

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
What are the requirements after 3rd Black?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ender
You must be specific. Everyone does not have the same requirements. Saying "kenpo" is like saying "karate." This forum additionally attracts all different forms and interpretations of "kenmpo" and all of them have internal variances.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Ender

Hey Ender (I won't use your name but thank you for the courtesy of supplying it the other day)

What requirements are you looking for specifically?

In the 16 curriculum they have requirements to 5th Black and the 24 is to 3rd Black. I would suggest you ck the Kenponet for the requirements to each as they have them listed in both formats.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
You must be specific. Everyone does not have the same requirements. Saying "kenpo" is like saying "karate." This forum additionally attracts all different forms and interpretations of "kenmpo" and all of them have internal variances.

oh ok...I've only seen up to 3rd Black.thats why I was asking.Thanks

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Hey Ender (I won't use your name but thank you for the courtesy of supplying it the other day)

What requirements are you looking for specifically?

In the 16 curriculum they have requirements to 5th Black and the 24 is to 3rd Black. I would suggest you ck the Kenponet for the requirements to each as they have them listed in both formats.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

ok..Thanks!

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
wow..I just made orange belt in here!!...60 posts!..I'm so happy!!..I'd like to thank the academy.....

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't see how you can put a time on it to begin with. I realize that the belts show the level of progression, and the time limit is to properly give the student enough time to learn the material. But, keep in mind, that everybody learns at a different rate. I've had parents say to me, "Well, my son/daughter started at the same time as Jimmy, and he's already moved up a rank. how come my child hasnt?" Like it was posted earlier, who cares about the rank. Instead of being so concerned with the color of the belt, shouldnt you be more concerned with how well you know the material???? I'd rather have it take an extra 2 months to go from one to the next, and have the student know it, rather than just put him/her on the test, just because the time limit is up, and have them look like s**t!

Mike

OP
P

purplekenposkunk

We never listen to music in our classes. I can think of only one time that we did, and that is after about 3 years.I think that it would be beneficial in some situations, especially while warming up/doing calisthenics. I don't mean stuff like Fleetwood Mac or anything, but maybe more techno stuff, just kind of a rhythmic sound.

I understand that it is best to not have the students rely on music to workout correctly, since there probably won't be any music when a mugger attacks them on the street. Are there other reasons that instructors avoid this?

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Who listens to music while they're in class? What a remarkably-bad idea...among other things, it would be a distraction from what's important.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by rmcrobertson
Who listens to music while they're in class? What a remarkably-bad idea...among other things, it would be a distraction from what's important.

Don't discount the idea Robert, it works very well when employed correctly.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Don't discount the idea Robert, it works very well when employed correctly.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Nothing like some Magic Carpet Ride while doing Long 4.
:cool:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle
Nothing like some Magic Carpet Ride while doing Long 4.
:cool:
I have always had music playing in my classes since the sixties. It is a habit I picked up from my teacher Ed Parker, who also advocated music in the classroom. In fact he suggested it can enhance the learning and retention process. For those who thought otherwise, later on he suggested a book; "Super Learning," by Sheila Ostrander.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Doc
I have always had music playing in my classes since the sixties. It is a habit I picked up from my teacher Ed Parker, who also advocated music in the classroom. In fact he suggested it can enhance the learning and retention process. For those who thought otherwise, later on he suggested a book; "Super Learning," by Sheila Ostrander.

Music soothes the savage beast.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by jeffkyle
Music soothes the savage beast.

Nothing better than a little Motley Crue for Form 8 and sparring. "Girls, Girls, Girls" is one of my favs for that. "Wild Side" kicks serious ***.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me, any ACDC, (pre Back In Back of course), or, occasionally The DOORS. Nothing like 'The End' when doing forms. Flashback to Apocolypse Now.

ACDC's song, LIVE WIRE has a profound effect on me. Recently, while lifting weights, the gym was playing some pop station, and I was attempting a new bench press max. Couldnt get my head into it. I pulled out my cassette player, cued up LIVE WIRE, and let the tunes sink in. I banged out 2 reps with a new 1 rep personal record.