kempo-muy thai

L

liam

I practice kempo since three years and because I'd like to improve my general martial arts skills, I have decided to also practice (besides kempo-my "first love") muy thai. I already went to a muy thai training and was very impressed. I'm sure that my skills in kempo will encrease thanks to MT.

Has anyone a similar "experience" that he would like to share (?), thanks in advance!

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IMHO, Muay Thai is an excellent complement to Kenpo. You may here differently from some Kenpo devotees who think that everything there is to know is contained in Kenpo, but I think it is a good combo.

Muay Thai will help you with punching and kicking power. You'll learn to execute effective leg kicks, throw knees and elbows from a clinch, and to defend against those. Muay Thai conditioning is tops.

Go for it.

OP
E

Elfan

I know a several kenpo school's that borrow heavily from Muay Thai "stuf" and I think overall it has been benificial to them.

OP
G

gravity

I've only got 4 years of MA experience, 2 and a half of those in EPAK Kenpo. I personally find MT quite complimentary with Kenpo.

I recently came back from Bangkok, Thailand where I spent 2 weeks in a professional Muay Thai Camp. In my personal opinion the Muay Thai experience was first rate, after the training sessions I never felt more confident and at peace with everything in my life (training about 6 hours a day). I guess getting whacked in the head and thighs makes everything else seem small. I remember getting pushed in public places, the trains and markets and I would smile....the stupid idiotic kind of grin :D

I loved the MT experience so much that I plan on heading back to Thailand early next year for more .... how should I put it....adventures in pain :rofl:

OP
L

liam

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
IMHO, Muay Thai is an excellent complement to Kenpo. You may here differently from some Kenpo devotees who think that everything there is to know is contained in Kenpo, but I think it is a good combo.

Muay Thai will help you with punching and kicking power. You'll learn to execute effective leg kicks, throw knees and elbows from a clinch, and to defend against those. Muay Thai conditioning is tops.

Go for it.

Indeed, I think that much (if not all) of muy thai can be found in kempo-sparring but the training methods are completely different.
Kempo (our school): 1° 20 minutes stretching and other (e.g. sit ups and the like) ecercises-to be performed individualy-2° 20 minutes working with the bags (kicks), 3° 40 minutes self-defence techniques.

Muy thai : 1 hour warming up (I tought I would not made it through the end...), 20 minutes techniques, 10 minutes sparring.

Thanks for the support. I'll give feedback in a couple of months.

OP
L

liam

Originally posted by gravity
I've only got 4 years of MA experience, 2 and a half of those in EPAK Kenpo. I personally find MT quite complimentary with Kenpo.

I recently came back from Bangkok, Thailand where I spent 2 weeks in a professional Muay Thai Camp. In my personal opinion the Muay Thai experience was first rate, after the training sessions I never felt more confident and at peace with everything in my life (training about 6 hours a day). I guess getting whacked in the head and thighs makes everything else seem small. I remember getting pushed in public places, the trains and markets and I would smile....the stupid idiotic kind of grin :D

I loved the MT experience so much that I plan on heading back to Thailand early next year for more .... how should I put it....adventures in pain :rofl:

wow, must be an incredible experience; do you have any links concerning those camps?

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

But then it is questionable if you like Kenpo or not... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. It is questionable. Doing Kenpo on & off for 30 years (22 years very steady) since 1973. Love Kenpo, but a little tired of some of the dogma. Wish all Kenpo people were as wonderful as the best of us are and the rest of us think we are.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I hear ya Brutha! Been in it and at it since 1963! Kind of feel the same way most of the time.

OP
G

gravity

Originally posted by liam
wow, must be an incredible experience; do you have any links concerning those camps?

The first 2 links are for camps in Bangkok, the country side is more obsure and its unusual for them to have websites sites.

http://www.thailandroad.com/jittigym/ (this is where I trained)

http://www.fairtexbkk.com/ (hope to train here next time round)

http://lannamuaythai.com/ (might train here next time...its up north, far from Bangkok - the site has heaps of interesting info on training experience & tips)

Enjoy :asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We work a lot of MT ideas these days in the school in which I train. Much of the same teaching can be found in the Benny the Jet seminars ( a must if you ever go to the Vegas Camp). MT offers so much protection it makes you wonder what the hell you were thinking before. Its blood simple my freinds.

OP
P

purplekenposkunk

Did they teach you the Tiger Uppercut?

18814.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by liam
I practice kempo since three years and because I'd like to improve my general martial arts skills, I have decided to also practice (besides kempo-my "first love") muy thai. I already went to a muy thai training and was very impressed. I'm sure that my skills in kempo will encrease thanks to MT.

Has anyone a similar "experience" that he would like to share (?), thanks in advance!

Better be careful with a post like this..it might get you into some trouble with some of the traditionalists on here. In case you have not noticed, some people think that Kenpo has it all. Don't be surprised if you hear "Why do Muay Thai, when Kenpo has all those kicks?"

Regardless of what some people think, I think that you are on the road to making yourself better. I also crosstrain and I find that it helps me greatly! Keep it up!!

MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan
I know a several kenpo school's that borrow heavily from Muay Thai "stuf" and I think overall it has been benificial to them.

Robert--Did you read that?

MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. It is questionable. Doing Kenpo on & off for 30 years (22 years very steady) since 1973. Love Kenpo, but a little tired of some of the dogma. Wish all Kenpo people were as wonderful as the best of us are and the rest of us think we are.

OFK-- All I can say is Ditto!! Once agin, more true words!!

MJS

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Yep, sure did. And the way these posts are worded reinforces my general sense of being correct about a) the misunderstanding of kenpo's fundamental concepts and claims; b) the difference between those studying martial arts to become better fighters only and other interests; c) the extent to which "going outside," kenpo to, "fill up the holes in the system," is an endless enterprise; d) the dream of efficiency and invincibility.

And if we've absolutely got to personalize everything, could we try at least to render what I write accurately?

I think it's great that folks have time for all this cross-training. I think it's wonderful that they can learn so much. I look forward, over time, to reading about and witnessing all that they discover. Good for you, guys.

I simply don't agree that the motivation for this has anything to do with the faults of kenpo.

And--call me wacky--I'd still be pleased to see a smidgen of respect for us wacky "traditionalists." Not that I think this is in any way an accurate term.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wacky,
Forget the holes in Kenpo stuff. If you were to train in the school down the street, reguardless of the system, you would benefit from the different ways of thinking. I think Roger Waters stated it best... "Tear down the wall.".

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MJS
Robert--Did you read that?

MJS

I am assuming that you are saying this in friendly jest, but people can't tell that for certain without clarification. Remember that you are a direct reflection on your instructor and your method of training, not only on yourself.

Antagonistic remarks only serve to instantly discredit you no matter how much truth is in what you say. If you wish to be heard and remembered, speak quietly so that people will have to lean forward to hear what you say. Those that scream and shout at the top of their lungs get ignored.

I don't have much to say on the issue of combining Muay Thai with Kenpo since I haven't tried Muay Thai. However I have been a live-in student at a Kyokushin Karate School. Kyokushin can probably look like a distant relative of Muay Thai and I think the two fit well together.

Doug

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, that is exactly what it was...a friendly jest. No harm meant. I just wanted to point out that I am not the only one that sees nothing wrong with crosstraining.

As for antagonistic remarks, well, you might check back to some other responses. Some people can't accept someone elses reply and insist on going on and on and on and on....

MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK...maybe someone can answer this question. In Kenpo, we have a roundhouse kick. It is your traditional kick, done with the usual snapping movement. Muay Thai also has a roundhouse kick. Rather than do the snap, they are putting their entire body behind the kick, which results in a very powerful kick. Most of these kicks by the way are delivered to the leg. Now, why can't you take the idea behind the MT round kick and add it to the Kenpo roundkick? Its still a RH kick, but you have changed it, making it more powerful. You are not studying MT, you are simply taking a concept. This is some of what I'm saying. I have NEVER once said to abandon your Kenpo, but look to another style to borrow an idea. This is somehow translated into crosstraining!! I don't see how?

Also, the difference between fighting and SD? I am not talking about entering the UFC, I'm talking about if you need to defend yourself, because someone is trying to attack you, don't you need to fight? You can sugar coat it anyway you like, but the fact remains, that you are still fighting. When doing the Sd tech of Kenpo, should you not train for that real confrontation? Hey, maybe not everybody does, but by thinking an attacker is going to stand there, give you no resistance, and move the way you want, all while delivering a multitude of strikes, we are living in a fantasy land, cuz it isn't going to be like that.

Nobody has ever said that they are invincible or are the ulitamte fighter. But, if all these ideas that everything is already there in Kenpo, then why are they not brought into the light right away starting with the new student?? Why do you have to wait until you reach BB, before you discover all the secrets? You should gradually bring this out and continue all the way to the end. Is it not important for the yellow, orange and purple belts to know this? Or is it just reserved for the advanced ranks? By not explaining this in the beginning we are doing noting but cheating the beginner out of alot of knowledge.

MJS

Latest Discussions