Minimum Standards for Taekwondo

D

dosandojang

Yes. This is how I do it. If someone comes into my Dojang and wants to learn say ONLY ONE ART, I will teach them that with Privates, but at the regular rate. But MOST do NOT have a problem with learning a nice blend, and hence wind up learning all at the same time. I make sure that each know and decide on what they want to test for, meaning specific Rank in Specific Art, and I make sure they get what they want. So say on Kuk Ki Won test day, those that want to test for Kuk Ki Won rank, are allowed to do so--and then so on and so forth with the other 03 Arts. I do NOT teach my own Style though (Steve Kwon Do, etc.), and therefore do NOT issue ANY Rank that is NOT from one of the 04 Orgs/Styles that I teach through! I pretty much teach my like my Judo Sensei Gokor C., he teaches, Karate, Sambo, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, etc., but promotes people in individual Arts that he is Authorized to promote in---but with only one difference, he does actually teach his OWN System (Hayastan), and in that you can get Grading and Ranking as well. Gokor is an 8th Dan Judo Master, and is so OVERLY qualified, that NO one can knock him for teaching his OWN Style.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tigerwoman- I totally admire you of doing your pushups. I honestly cannot do full push ups. When I do them, I don't bend my hands all the way (chest not nearly to the floor), and I always get yelled at. I'll start using your method and work my way there!! Maybe then, I won't fly back as much when doing bag drills!

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Faye said:
Tigerwoman- I totally admire you of doing your pushups. I honestly cannot do full push ups. When I do them, I don't bend my hands all the way (chest not nearly to the floor), and I always get yelled at. I'll start using your method and work my way there!! Maybe then, I won't fly back as much when doing bag drills!

Holding the bag is still mass against mass mostly. I had to do the regular pushups in order to palm and knife hand concrete. Before that was 3 boards for rec. black test. But slow and steady wins, just keep increasing those on the knee girl pushups or split pushups in sets and you will build your upper body. It was really nice when someone told me I punched too hard. I was shocked--I do?? Really funny when you consider how I started out--not able to do 15 split pushups very well. So, you go girl!! TW

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Tigerwoman for this stupid question, what is the difference between knee pushups and split pushups?

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No question is EVER stupid. :) Split your legs first like a horseback stance but straight legged (most of us at first can't split very far) then go down on your arms in the front like a pushup. It exercises your inner thighs as well to hold your body up but after awhile when legs get too strong, one has the tendency to not lean forward as much and let the upper body work with the weight.

Knee pushups are when you get down on your knees and do pushups with your arms from that position, basically knees (and maybe toes) touch and hands. More straight like the regular pushup. I had a hard time transitioning from this position to regular. So I just did tons (2-300) of split pushups to do five of the regular full body pushup. Then I started doing the regular ones in sets. 5 rest 4 rest 3 rest, etc. Then the more you do the lower you go to the floor too. So that is how I built up to 400 total in sets.
Hope that is clear, if not PM me since this is getting off track in the thread.
TW

Latest Discussions