Extra Training

K

Kirk

I have the uptmost respect for my instructor, he's damned
good. I don't want to switch schools, or be awarded rank
by anyone else. There's one problem. Sometimes, I'm eager
to learn a new technique required for the next belt, and we'll
go quite a few lessons without learning new ones. I was a
white belt for 3 months, and now I'm yellow at 4 months.
My school has belt promotion tests about every 6 weeks.
At the time of the last test, I knew 9 techs, out of 16 needed
for orange. I now know 10, and belt testing is a month away!
I need 7 techs, but elbow set, and kicking set to earn orange.
I'm not sure if it's gonna happen. As each training day passes,
my doubt that I'll be ready by April 20th increases.

I asked him if he'd mind me getting private lessons from his
black belts, and he's of the opinion that private lessons, if
you're attending class regulary isn't gonna do a whole lot for
you. I can't say one way or the other, because I haven't had
the opportunity for private lessons. One of his former students
has a school not too God awful far away. I was thinking about
hitting him up for irregular private lessons. But I don't know
that I should, and if I do .. I don't know that I should tell
my instructor.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I would stay with the curriculum your instructor has set out for you. There is more than likely a method to the madness. i wouldn't go to another school, just in case your instructor finds out, and it is disrespectful to him. Talk to him again about privats and tell him you would like to be part of the next grading. he will probably give you answer about you'll be ready or that he has you scheduled for a different one. thhis way you can kow exactly what is going on.

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

ok first i agree with rob there must be a method to the maddness... next its good to be excited about learning and advancing but remember its not a race its a marathon dont be in such a hurry to get to the next belt all things come in time

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Rob and TLH to a point. Yes, talk to your instructor but you might want to indicate your "goals" to him. Tell him you would like to try a private lesson or two to see how much it will help you. Or you might ask him if you could get quality time with a higher grade student. Individual time spent should be a big plus!!!

Regards,

Dave Simmons:)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also agree with all here. If you like your instructor then don't dis him by going around his back. If it were me, I'd be upset.

Any questions or concerns ...... go talk to the man face to face. Ask whats on your mind. He will respect you for it and you would be doing the correct thing.

Clear, communications are always the best!!
heed all this good advice.
:asian:

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

A white belt for 3 months and a yellow belt for 4 months? To me, it seems like 7 months is sort of long time to not have your orange belt. I would look at the other students that signed up with you in your class to see if they progressing at the same pace as you. If they are ahead of you already, maybe it is you who is not motivated enough to keep up the pace. If they are the same rank as you, the instructor could be one of those who likes to make sure his students are ready before he tests. And another thing, he could be one of those who likes putting your patience to the test as well as your skill. You are not in a race so be motivated and patient and the ranks will come.

If you want to learn techniques at a faster pace, look into video tapes, not toward another instructor. The latter will almost definitely piss off your present instructor. Learn the techniques from the tape and then 'fine tune' them in class under your instructor's supervision. Just dont try to learn the high rank stuff until you are ready for it. The most important thing to remember is to talk, not whine, to your instructor if you are dissapointed about your training

OP
M

matthewgreenland

Hey - I have an analogy and I'm sure that we all can relate.

Remember being 15 years old - and being amped up to get your driver's license. C'mon - everyone remembers that. Then after having it for a few years, you look back and say - "What was the big rush." I have heard adults, which I am, say "Hey, don't be in such a hurry to grow up." There is wisdom in that.

Once you hit black - there is no turning back - advancement, promotions, and the like are few and far between.

My advice - take up some privates. Stay with your instructor. And, remeber, it is not about having what you want, but wanting what you have. Relish the time spent where you are. Trust me, you will soon be looking back and saying - "I remember when I was a ------bet."

Respectfully,

Matt

OP
K

Kirk

While I appreciate the responses, this question was posed back
in March. It's all good now, and I'm working on purple. I'm
enjoying the hell out of my training (maybe too much) and have
still have the uptmost respect for my teacher. I guess I was a
little overly anxious.

OP
R

Ronin

Originally posted by Kirk

I have the uptmost respect for my instructor, he's damned
good. I don't want to switch schools, or be awarded rank
by anyone else. There's one problem. Sometimes, I'm eager
to learn a new technique required for the next belt, and we'll
go quite a few lessons without learning new ones. I was a
white belt for 3 months, and now I'm yellow at 4 months.
My school has belt promotion tests about every 6 weeks.
At the time of the last test, I knew 9 techs, out of 16 needed
for orange. I now know 10, and belt testing is a month away!
I need 7 techs, but elbow set, and kicking set to earn orange.
I'm not sure if it's gonna happen. As each training day passes,
my doubt that I'll be ready by April 20th increases.

I asked him if he'd mind me getting private lessons from his
black belts, and he's of the opinion that private lessons, if
you're attending class regulary isn't gonna do a whole lot for
you. I can't say one way or the other, because I haven't had
the opportunity for private lessons. One of his former students
has a school not too God awful far away. I was thinking about
hitting him up for irregular private lessons. But I don't know
that I should, and if I do .. I don't know that I should tell
my instructor.
Kirk i would always clear it with your instructor prior to doing anything as a form of respect.

OP
R

Ronin

Originally posted by TLH3rdDan

ok first i agree with rob there must be a method to the maddness... next its good to be excited about learning and advancing but remember its not a race its a marathon dont be in such a hurry to get to the next belt all things come in time
i agree. just try to be the best yellow,orange or whatever belt you can be. it never hurts to make your basics sharper. remember your building your foundation at this point. make it a good one!

OP
R

RCastillo

While I appreciate the responses, this question was posed back
in March. It's all good now, and I'm working on purple. I'm
enjoying the hell out of my training (maybe too much) and have
still have the uptmost respect for my teacher. I guess I was a
little overly anxious.

What? This is a rerun? Here I was all set to give my 2 cents, and now the value has dropped like the stock market. I'm getting skittish around here!:eek:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

What? This is a rerun? Here I was all set to give my 2 cents, and now the value has dropped like the stock market. I'm getting skittish around here!:eek:

I don't think so. I think there are some good topics within this whole scenario. Like...

1) A person that might not be happy with his training considering going to another instructor. Is there any other advice that can be given other than "oh, don't do that..." The responses are all coming from instructors so they would have a vested interest in maintaining the mindset that the last thing you should do is find someone else to teach you...

2) Who's responsibility is it to maintain "open communication" in training? Isn't it mutual? And shouldn't the instructor know the pace at which a person is going and be aware? Or does the student have to do that? And even if the student does make the instructor aware, isn't the instructor going to do what he/she is going to do?

3) Why are you "dissing" an instructor if you look at another system or instructor? I could understand if you were dealing with the old "traditional" Karate systems and lived in the days of Samuri, Monks and Ninja. Today however we live in a time when a service is provided for a fee and if a person doesn't feel like they are getting what they paid for they may need to consider going a different route, right? Or maybe not?

4) "Always" "clearing things" with your instructor before doing anything. Seems almost self defeating....what do you do if he/she says "no don't do that"? Just suck it up and stay an unhappy drone.

Also aren't martial arts something that we choose to take? And aren't we adult participants? Do you lose the ability to think and decide things for yourself once you sign on to a system and fall into the mysticism that is the martial arts?

I'm sure these questions will spark some discussions. I don't know that I agree or disagree with all the questions I have posed myself, but it would be interesting to see what peoples opinions are and maybe help some people that have had or have this very situation and want different points of view.

jb:asian:

p.s. I am also a believer in the value of private lessons if offered at a reasonable rate.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jbkenpo

I don't think so. I think there are some good topics within this whole scenario. Like...

1) A person that might not be happy with his training considering going to another instructor. Is there any other advice that can be given other than "oh, don't do that..." The responses are all coming from instructors so they would have a vested interest in maintaining the mindset that the last thing you should do is find someone else to teach you...

2) Who's responsibility is it to maintain "open communication" in training? Isn't it mutual? And shouldn't the instructor know the pace at which a person is going and be aware? Or does the student have to do that? And even if the student does make the instructor aware, isn't the instructor going to do what he/she is going to do?

3) Why are you "dissing" an instructor if you look at another system or instructor? I could understand if you were dealing with the old "traditional" Karate systems and lived in the days of Samuri, Monks and Ninja. Today however we live in a time when a service is provided for a fee and if a person doesn't feel like they are getting what they paid for they may need to consider going a different route, right? Or maybe not?

4) "Always" "clearing things" with your instructor before doing anything. Seems almost self defeating....what do you do if he/she says "no don't do that"? Just suck it up and stay an unhappy drone.

Also aren't martial arts something that we choose to take? And aren't we adult participants? Do you lose the ability to think and decide things for yourself once you sign on to a system and fall into the mysticism that is the martial arts?

I'm sure these questions will spark some discussions. I don't know that I agree or disagree with all the questions I have posed myself, but it would be interesting to see what peoples opinions are and maybe help some people that have had or have this very situation and want different points of view.

p.s. I am also a believer in the value of private lessons if offered at a reasonable rate.

I know, I'm only joking about the value dropping, but, I do agree with you on all points.

We are students, yet, we are consumers.

Most, if not all of are educated in that we are able to see, choose when needed.

As we are students, I believe in discipline, but it should be constructive.

I also believe in being very loyal , but it is a two way street. If not, I'm gone.

I also believe one should educate themselves beyond their teacher. A student must show initiative as well.

Being that I'm a professional in my own right, and 47 years young, only I know where I want to go, and know of my needs. I don't need someone else controlling my life. That's why I left one instructor before.

That's my take on this! :asian:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

I know, I'm only joking about the value dropping, but, I do agree with you on all points.

We are students, yet, we are consumers.

Most, if not all of are educated in that we are able to see, choose when needed.

As we are students, I believe in discipline, but it should be constructive.

I also believe in being very loyal , but it is a two way street. If not, I'm gone.

I also believe one should educate themselves beyond their teacher. A student must show initiative as well.

Being that I'm a professional in my own right, and 47 years young, only I know where I want to go, and know of my needs. I don't need someone else controlling my life. That's why I left one instructor before.

That's my take on this! :asian:

Mr. Castillo,

I respect all your comments and the way you answered. I can see it is something you've dealt with and thought about because you replied in a serious manner.

jb :asian:

OP
R

Ronin

Originally posted by jbkenpo

Its just respect to ask your instructor to train elsewhere People can often have different teaching styles and perhaps your instructor doesnt want any other habits to change the structure or way he is teaching you. If I did that and my instructor found out I would learn the true meaning of Thundering Hammers!!!!

OP
K

Kirk

*growl* I don't understand how the heck this came up anyways.
How many pages back was t his post? Issue resolved, issue
done, lesson learned, orange belt received. I'm a baby in my
martial arts journey, which explains my stupidity in even asking
such a question. Although still a newborn, I've learned enough
to not need anymore advice/opinions/facts/whatever on this
subject.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ronin

Its just respect to ask your instructor to train elsewhere People can often have different teaching styles and perhaps your instructor doesnt want any other habits to change the structure or way he is teaching you. If I did that and my instructor found out I would learn the true meaning of Thundering Hammers!!!!

I'm guessing Mr. C doesn' t (regularly) beat up on you if you don't do what he wants:). Also you've got a special circumstance because of who you train with...meaning you can't get much better in the business, but at the same time people have been known to leave even SGM Parker....

The "habit" thing is the party line, but if you've trained with Mr. C since 1983 are you really going to change your strips going to "visit" someone else. I personally don't think any Kenpo teacher's skills are so weak that a seminar or class is going to change your total outlook. If it does then maybe your with the wrong person (not you personally). People should be able to explore without having the mentality that you've developed on this subject (completely opposite of what a true Ronin might think:confused: ) .

But to each his own if your happy... take the blue pill and the story ends.

You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.

You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Remember that all I am offering is the truth.....

OP
R

RCastillo

*growl* I don't understand how the heck this came up anyways.
How many pages back was t his post? Issue resolved, issue
done, lesson learned, orange belt received. I'm a baby in my
martial arts journey, which explains my stupidity in even asking
such a question. Although still a newborn, I've learned enough
to not need anymore advice/opinions/facts/whatever on this
subject.

HEY, you're not stupid! It's ok to ask. At least I don't bite like the Goldendragon does!:D

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

*growl* I've learned enough to not need anymore advice/opinions/facts/whatever on this
subject.

The next thing you may learn is it's not what you get, but what you give back to the art....Just because YOU don't need anymore advice doesn't mean we are finished with the subject....(Man, I'm spending to much time talking to Billy...now I'm sounding like him;) )

Regardless of how comfortable or uncomfortable it makes you feel it's a solid topic....realize we all know that you just had your gi panties in a bunch and wanted to test for orange....we've all been there (except I wear briefs) and aren't worried about that. Clearly you've matured (somewhat) and are continuing your journey.

In fact I'll help....Hey everybody, this post has nothing to do with the stuff Kirk wrote at the beginning of this post. In fact, whatever you do, do not, I repeat DO NOT go back and read what he wrote...there that should take care of it... :rofl:

Latest Discussions