Memorial Day in the USA

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once again, I urge Americans to find their local Memorial Day observance and attend it. Maybe put a few US flags on graves of veterans who died in the service of our nation.

We all say we 'support the troops,' but frankly I think it's nothing but BS for most of us. It's just another day off work for most.

I can't tell you how depressed I get when I go to the local observance and see how low the public turnout is. You say you support the troops? Show it, get off your lazy half-moons and demonstrate it. A bumper sticker on the back of your car doesn't mean squat to me.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
funny, your constant whining and complaining because people dont think like you or act how you want them to act means squat to me as well.
Its Memorial Day, everyone can choose to spend it how they want, and a poor attempt to guilt people into doing it your way does nothing.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife and I take Memorial day to spend time with my grandfather. Others do the parade. Others might opt for a brief moment of reflection about how much we owe those who fought and died to give us what we have today.

I agree that it's important to remember why we get a day off from work...but different observances are equally valid.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
funny, your constant whining and complaining because people dont think like you or act how you want them to act means squat to me as well.
Its Memorial Day, everyone can choose to spend it how they want, and a poor attempt to guilt people into doing it your way does nothing.
Memorial Day is not the time to attack veterans for expressing their views about memorial day. Of that, I am sure. If it brings out negative vibes, no body will blame you for not posting.:)
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A community near here always put up flags on the median leading through town.
It's a stunning sight (too bad the pictures I snapped never show how great)

Other than that there are a couple of guys important to my husband.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once again, I urge Americans to find their local Memorial Day observance and attend it. Maybe put a few US flags on graves of veterans who died in the service of our nation.

We all say we 'support the troops,' but frankly I think it's nothing but BS for most of us. It's just another day off work for most.

I can't tell you how depressed I get when I go to the local observance and see how low the public turnout is. You say you support the troops? Show it, get off your lazy half-moons and demonstrate it. A bumper sticker on the back of your car doesn't mean squat to me.

You guys have more days than just november 11 to remember the soldiers?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You guys have more days than just november 11 to remember the soldiers?

Veteran's Day is for all veterans. Memorial Day is to remember those who died serving our nation. There is also Armed Forces Day, which is less publicized and not a federal holiday, which is to honor those currently serving. Of the three, Veteran's Day gets the most publicity. Memorial Day is less a celebration than it is a somber remembrance.

In the USA, Memorial Day has become synonymous with the beginning of summer; Labor Day (set aside to honor those who get their backs into their living) heralds the end of summer.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Veteran's Day is for all veterans. Memorial Day is to remember those who died serving our nation. There is also Armed Forces Day, which is less publicized and not a federal holiday, which is to honor those currently serving. Of the three, Veteran's Day gets the most publicity. Memorial Day is less a celebration than it is a somber remembrance.

In the USA, Memorial Day has become synonymous with the beginning of summer; Labor Day (set aside to honor those who get their backs into their living) heralds the end of summer.

Thanks. But i still don't get why america needs 3 days for that. We have nov 11.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't want to speak for the American veterans on the board, Blade, as I am sure they can give you a much clearer answer but it seems to me that it is more a case of showing honour to different groups rather than having three days for the same 'reason'.

For us here in Blighty, we have had so many wars and so many dead that if we were to try to honour all seperately we would not have enough days in the year. So for us, all is set forth on Rememberance Sunday. It is meant specifically for the end of the First World War but it stands in our hearts for all who fall in the service of the rest of us.

And for some reason, Bill, the second picture you posted above breaks my heart - I can't elucidate clearly on it but it really touches me to see that man bow his head with dignity before the memorial to his fallen fellows.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

(I can do without the background music, but was too lazy to search for a better version)

Last edited by a moderator:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amid the chatter about the weather forecast, the potato salad recipe and whether the campground is full, a new poll commissioned by The National WWII Museum reveals the nation is in danger of forgetting the real meaning of Memorial Day.
Eighty percent of Americans surveyed confess to having “little” or only “some” knowledge of the military holiday. Just 20 percent of respondents claim to be “very familiar” with the day and its purpose.
If you’re in the 80 percent: Memorial Day is a federal holiday the last Monday of May honoring those who have died in military service.
Not just a day to get the garden planted or an excuse to grill steak.
Begun in 1868 to remember Civil War soldiers, the remembrance grew to include all Americans who have died in all of the nation’s wars.
The poll result is a bummer for Gordon “Nick” Mueller, president and CEO of the National WWII Museum in New Orleans.
"As a nation, we’re in danger of forgetting the day’s meaning altogether,” Mueller says. “Today, with Americans fighting in Afghanistan, a time to honor those who give their lives for their country has never been more urgent. Unfortunately, few of us really know the full importance of Memorial Day.”

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Having family members and ancestors who have served and died for this country since before the civil war. Memorial Day is a solemn day of remembrance for all those soldiers who lost their lives fighting for this country, and what it stands for. For us, personally, Memorial Day is the one day that symbolizes that though out the year we have been honoring our family, ancestors and other soldiers who have died fighting.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And for some reason, Bill, the second picture you posted above breaks my heart - I can't elucidate clearly on it but it really touches me to see that man bow his head with dignity before the memorial to his fallen fellows.

I can tell you that it is one of the photos I am most proud of, and my eyes were misty as I took that one. Thank you for the compliment.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to work memorial day, but I will be sure to vist the cemetery as I always do.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've mentioned elsewhere that I recently lost a very close friend to suicide. Neither his death nor our friendship had anything to do with his veteran status, but I think I need to skip any Memorial Day activities this year. It's just too much right now, and no apologies. Eventually, when I'm ready, I'll do something in his honor. Probably a tattoo.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While it is a nice thing to have a day set aside for collective rememberance, on a personal level there is really no need to adhere to dates and such.

My deepest sympathy at your loss.

Latest Discussions