Old Glory

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Boy- Not many pay any attention to this anymore!!

Happy 4th (a little early) everyone!! Keep it safe!

Tara
smile.gif

Old Glory: America's Flag & How to Fly It

By Roy Berendsohn

"The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing."
-Section 176, Respect for the flag, U.S. Code, Title 36
Whether you call it Old Glory or the Stars and Stripes, the flag of the United States is indeed grand and old. Its shape and general configuration were adopted by Congress on June 14, 1777, a day that is now known as Flag Day. Even in this age of hair-trigger political sensibilities, it's fair to say that our flag is still regarded with a high degree of respect and affection. And although it's unlikely that anybody will raise a fuss about how you fly the flag, its display and even your conduct regarding it is codified in national law. If you want to read the specifics, see U.S. Code, Title 36, Patriotic Societies and Observances, Chapter 10, Patriotic Customs. You can read this and other U.S. Codes at the outstanding Web site posted by the Cornell University School of Law (www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/).
So if you're flying the flag this Independence Day--rather, if you're displaying it, that's the proper term--it couldn't hurt to display by the rules. Here, then, follows a brief summary of the U.S. Flag Code.
Flag Holidays
Independence Day is a flag holiday--one of 17 days specifically designated in the code on which citizens are encouraged to display the flag, if they're not in the habit of doing so daily.
Flag holidays are as follows:
1. New Year's Day - Jan. 1
2. Inauguration Day - Jan. 20
3. Lincoln's Birthday - Feb. 12
4. Washington's Birthday - third Monday in February
5. Easter Sunday - (variable)
6. Mother's Day - second Sunday in May
7. Armed Forces Day - third Saturday in May
8. Memorial Day (half-staff until noon) - last Monday in May
9. Flag Day - June 14
10. Independence Day - July 4
11. Labor Day - first Monday in September
12. Constitution Day - Sept. 17
13. Columbus Day - second Monday in October
14. Navy Day - Oct. 27
15. Veterans Day - Nov. 11
16. Thanksgiving Day - fourth Thursday in November
17. Christmas Day - Dec. 25
The code also urges citizens to display the flag on additional days that are proclaimed by the president of the United States, on days that commemorate the date in which their state was admitted to the union and on specific state holidays.
Manner of Display
  • The flag should be hoisted briskly at dawn and lowered ceremoniously at dusk. The flag should be displayed at night only if it is lighted dramatically, as from below. To fly the flag at half-staff, raise it briskly to the top of the pole, keep it there for a moment and then lower it to half-staff. Before taking the flag down for the day, return it briefly to the top of the pole.
  • The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all-weather flag is used.
  • When the flag is displayed from a staff projecting horizontally or at an angle, the union (the blue rectangle on which stars are embroidered or fastened) should be at the staff's peak, unless the flag is being flown at half-staff.
  • When displayed horizontally against a wall the union should be to the left of the observer, looking from the street or in the audience. The same holds when a flag is displayed horizontally in a window. When the flag is displayed vertically against a wall, the union is also to the observer's left. Likewise, when a flag is hung vertically in a window.
  • When displayed directly over a street, the flag is hung vertically, and it is centered in the street with the union aligned with the north or east. In a north/south street, this means the flag is hung across the street with the union on the east side of the street. Conversely, on an east/west street, the union is on the north side of the street.
  • For visual reference on all of this, visit the American Legion Web site (www.legion.org).
Prohibitions
  • Never use the flag for advertising purposes, as drapery, linens or as clothing, or print it on items soon to be discarded--napkins and paper plates, for example. It should not be used as part of a uniform--athletic or otherwise, unless you are a member of the military, a patriotic organization, police force, fire department or rescue/ambulance squad.
  • Never attach a flag directly to a vehicle or drape it over a vehicle. Instead, the flag should be attached to a staff secured to a vehicle's chassis or to the right front fender. The flag should be displayed on floats in a similar manner. When bunting is used for patriotic display instead of a flag, the colors are arranged from top to bottom: blue, white and red.
  • Never display the flag in a manner in which it is easily damaged or with it touching the ground.
  • Never display the flag upside down--as this is a distress signal.
In Patriotic Observance
In unabashedly old-fashioned and refreshingly blunt language the code calls on all those present to recognize the flag when it passes as part of a holiday parade:
  • Stand.
  • Place your right hand over your heart. And in particular, the code says: "Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart." Military personnel in uniform should "render the military salute."
Flowers and Other Patriotic Facts
Suppose you were to give someone flowers, and you wanted to be patriotic about it. Which flower should you choose? The rose is designated as the National Floral Emblem. Although no color is specified in the code, our choice would be a dark red type, such as the hybrid tea rose, Mr. Lincoln.
If you were to utter our national motto, what would you say? It would be, "In God we trust."
And if the heat weren't too great, and you were roused to march, what tune should you march to? The National March is "Stars And Stripes Forever," by John Philip Sousa.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you, Shodan!

Many people are so eager to display their love of country they forget to consult the official codes for flag display. True patriotism is the honor of the code handed down for the display, care and proper disposal of the symbol of our country.

God Bless America

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent post Shodan..The flag flys at my place 365 days a year....

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
Excellent post Shodan..The flag flys at my place 365 days a year....
Is it illuminated at nighttime? What do you do with it when it requires replacement? Do you leave it out in rain and snowstorms?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Is it illuminated at nighttime? What do you do with it when it requires replacement? Do you leave it out in rain and snowstorms?

Yes, it's illuminated at nighttime and I have been schooled in the proper method of destroying an old flag when its time comes..During HEAVY rain and snow storms I take it in even though it's was made to withstand the elements..So I original post should read almost 365//

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

I recall that my eldest brother who is a patriot of this country through and through and I strive to emulate him best as I can... once spotted a tattered U.S. Flag from the freeway... he actually pulled over, backed up enough to get the name of the business and got information, called them up... asked for the P.R. person or V.P. of the company (very politely of course)...When they asked him (he had it on speaker-phone in his car) what was it in regards to; he replied that it had a lot to do with immediate company image. He got the V.P.
My brother then (respectfully) bitched out the man about how they let their flag go to such tattered ruins. Profusely apologizing and all that the man promised to remove the flag immediately and have it replaced as soon as they get a new one. We sat out there (luckily were not in a hurry) and watched... My brother muttered under his breath that they had 15 minutes before he called them again... but sure enough... the company reps had enough American pride to send some-one out to take down the flag.
My brother told me that he saw they replaced it a few days later. :D

I still try to do that whenever I see a neglected flag. Dammit too many of our fathers/brothers/ friends have died for it. Amen!

When done in a respectful way I enjoy these variations. As well as the first pic which should serve to remind us upon what the (original) Consituition was based. :asian:

Attachments

• $azflag.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 127
  • $EAGLE.jpg
    $EAGLE.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 134
  • $AMERICAN SPIRIT.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 130

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
crushing said:
Also, quite often local veteran's organizations, such as the VFW and American Legion, will take your unserviceable flags for proper disposal.
So will a boy or girl scout organization.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does any one recall the meaning of the colors to the flag... I know that the stars are the states in the union... the number of stripes are the original colony... but the colors have significance... I just uhh.. you know... kinda forgot

Red = blood that was shed for our freedoms,
blue = ?
White = ?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Does any one recall the meaning of the colors to the flag... I know that the stars are the states in the union... the number of stripes are the original colony... but the colors have significance... I just uhh.. you know... kinda forgot

Red = blood that was shed for our freedoms,
blue = ?
White = ?

Red symbolizes hardiness and valor.
White isignifies purity and innocence.
Blue is the color of the chief and signifies vigilance, perseverance and justice.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Does any one recall the meaning of the colors to the flag...
According to this, there are no official meanings, only for the colors in the Great Seal.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
According to this, there are no official meanings, only for the colors in the Great Seal.
I believe the meanings were adopted later, but I can't find my link ... grumble .... Also there was no official code for the proper disposal of flags until the early 20th century.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some photographers today at the Shuttle Launch were definitely thinking. These photos included a successful Shuttle Launch and our beloved Flag in one frame... I downloaded 10 of them from the AP news site and chose what I felt were the best 5 of them... enjoy.

Attachments

• $SHUTTLE FLAG 10.jpg
    $SHUTTLE FLAG 10.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 108
  • $SHUTTLE FLAG 09.jpg
    $SHUTTLE FLAG 09.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 116
  • $SHUTTLE FLAG 06.jpg
    $SHUTTLE FLAG 06.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 109
  • $SHUTTLE FLAG 04.jpg
    $SHUTTLE FLAG 04.jpg