Please do not forget Veteran's Day 2009

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Veteran's Day for the US is November 11, 2009, but most cities and towns that have a parade will be holding in on Saturday, November 7th.

Please show your support for our veterans and make time to attend. It's not a lot to ask to show your support to the veterans themselves.

Last year, I attended the Detroit Veteran's Day Parade, and it was a disgrace. A couple hundred people attended - there were more veterans than parade-goers. I see lots of "I support the troops" stickers on cars. Prove it - go to the parade and wave a flag for an hour or so.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Veteran's Day for the US is November 11, 2009, but most cities and towns that have a parade will be holding in on Saturday, November 7th.

Please show your support for our veterans and make time to attend. It's not a lot to ask to show your support to the veterans themselves.

Last year, I attended the Detroit Veteran's Day Parade, and it was a disgrace. A couple hundred people attended - there were more veterans than parade-goers. I see lots of "I support the troops" stickers on cars. Prove it - go to the parade and wave a flag for an hour or so.
Fresno has a HUGE Veteran's Day parade every year. Thousands of spectators! I marched in it three years in a row as a NJROTC cadet in the late 80's.
The store I work at has a HUGE sign for Veteran's day and a photo of all the vets who work there... Me... The Class A Photo from basic training, 20 years ago, I was 18, I look 12... I'm less than amused by the whole thing...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've had the date (and Remembrance Day) on MT's calender for years.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I unusually attend our Remembrance Day services here in Guelph, its inside at the arena, with a short parade afterwards. I don’t attend the parade, but inside seating capacity is just over 5000, and every year I’m there, it’s almost full every time. At least 4000 people, even on school days. It’s a great sight to see.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always have a tough time at this time of year. Normally, I try not to challenge people who say things like "I support the troops, but I don't support the war," or "Support the troops, end the war," and so on. I mean, hey, everybody is entitled to their opinion on the legitimacy of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I would not dream of telling them they can't feel they way they feel.

But it ticks me off that they CLAIM to support the troops as well as disagreeing with our current military policy. Really? Do you support the troops? How? What exactly is it that you do to 'support the troops', huh?

I go to the parades, and I go to the Memorial Day services, and you know the crowds get smaller every year. And it's mostly made up of veterans - perhaps some of them are 'against the war' too. But I never run into peaceniks or anti-war types at these events. Funny how they 'support the troops' but they can't be bothered to go stand on a cold street curb and wave a flag for a couple hours a year.

At this time of year, when I run into someone who tells me they 'support the troops' but they are 'against the war', I ask them if they attend their local Veteran's Day parades or ceremonies, or those on Memorial Day. If they say "no," I ask how dare they utter that phrase.

I'm glad to hear that Veteran's Day services and parades are better-attended in other places. I wish they were around here.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At this time of year, when I run into someone who tells me they 'support the troops' but they are 'against the war', I ask them if they attend their local Veteran's Day parades or ceremonies, or those on Memorial Day. If they say "no," I ask how dare they utter that phrase.

I think you're using the phrase in the wrong context here. The "I support the troops, not the war" camp--to which I believe I belong--stems from the argument that those who are against a war for political or idealogical reasons are unpatriotic and hate all things military. "I suppor the troops" is a response to this; it's an attempt to distinguish what is and is not being said.

As for those who say they support the troops but don't attend ceremonies, there are honestly too many possible reasons to say "how dare they". Some maybe just posers, as you're asserting. Others maybe just lazy. Others, still, may have a fear of or aversion to crowds, or may honor servicemen in alternative methods, through writing, food drives, or the like.

Me, personally, I don't think that attending a parade and waving a banner around is anymore sincere then putting a "support the troops" sticker on your car. Sure, you took the time to attend, but still.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly like many other dates that could or should be celebrated in this town I live in the day has all but been forgotten. Even the 4th of July is really no longer celebrated with a parade.
I do hope the Veterans organization in town at least hold a memorial at the monuments that honnor our fallen

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for those who say they support the troops but don't attend ceremonies, there are honestly too many possible reasons to say "how dare they". Some maybe just posers, as you're asserting. Others maybe just lazy. Others, still, may have a fear of or aversion to crowds, or may honor servicemen in alternative methods, through writing, food drives, or the like.

Let me be clear - for all those who support the troops in other material ways, I applaud them. If they stuff CARE packages or write letters or have a family member serving, bravo.

For those who have an aversion to crowds, they have my sympathy - but I hope I don't see them at the Thanksgiving Day parade, eh? Seeing as those crowds are huge, I kind of don't think so, really. Lame.

I prefer outright dislike to apathy. If a person tells me they have no use for the military and could not possibly care less about honoring them, well, fair enough, they're entitled to their opinions. I may not like it, but that's the way it goes in a free country.

For the rest - the apathetic, the lazy, and the posers - which I propose are a really good-sized chunk of those who make up Turkey-Day parades but are noticeably absent from the Veteran's Day parade, I say shame. I don't want to hear their vile mouths telling me how they 'support the troops'. It is hollow and empty and meaningless.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remembrance Day in Canada is marked by the wearing of poppies, which are distributed by The Royal Canadian Legion, and holding a moment of silence on the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour. Schools hold assemblies to mark the occasion. Thanks for starting this thread, Bill.

Also, thanks to Tez for putting the UK poppy campaign in her sig.

PA_familywp_200x100.jpg

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remembrance Day in Canada is marked by the wearing of poppies, which are distributed by The Royal Canadian Legion, and holding a moment of silence on the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour. Schools hold assemblies to mark the occasion. Thanks for starting this thread, Bill.

Also, thanks to Tez for putting the UK poppy campaign in her sig.

PA_familywp_200x100.jpg

Being in Detroit, we have a lot of Canadian veterans here too. They'll be marching in Saturday's parade as well. Poppies as well, but for Memorial Day here.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would even go further than Bill and say the duty to support the troops and veterans is not just on Memorial or Veterans Days, but year long.

It is amazing how much even a small act can mean to somebody. Years ago I was presiding over a routine hearing, trying to determine which injuries the accident in question had caused. The man told me that one I asked about had come from being shot in Viet Nam. I simply thanked him for serving our country and moved on with the case. He came back later, obviously emotional, and said that in the 30 years he'd been back home, that was the first time anyone in government had said "Thank you" to him.

What have we come to?

Latest Discussions