Martial Arts Workout?

MLA9741

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What exercises do you guys do to prepare your mind and body for taking your next class or entering in your next tournament? Currently I am trying to get lean and cut by summer time :x , but I want to prepare for a sparring tournament next February.

Currently I do:

20 mins HIIT
Weights (chest, arms, back) ~15-20 mins
Forms
Punching/kicking/weapons, depending on day.

After a few weeks of doing this every day of the week, besides a rest day, I hope to see quick results! What do you guys do?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
It can differ from person to person. What works remarkably for Me, might not work as well for You.
I will say though, that less time on weights and more time strengthening the muscles which will actually conduct the motions You seek might be a good idea.

Personally, I use a modified form of this:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/4057358/The-Naked-Warrior
Since I cant afford to go to a Gym (First world problems ahoy!).
I just took the overall method, then personalized and tailored it. Hasnt failed Me yet.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What exercises do you guys do to prepare your mind and body for taking your next class or entering in your next tournament? Currently I am trying to get lean and cut by summer time :x , but I want to prepare for a sparring tournament next February.

Sparring requires stamina and quick, explosive, power. Road work. Get the cardio under control. Be able to spar continuously for two minutes at full power without flagging. I'm sure many can do that, but it's a challenge for me. So I don't just lift or do other training; I also take a dance class. About to start walking/running again; probably add some jump-rope too. The boxers know how to get ready for a fight; it's all about your wind once you have your form and power down.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A few more specifics would be good with your resistance exercises. What are you doing in terms of reps, sets, tempo, rest, how many times a week, specific exercises, weight.

What intervals are doing? What exercise(s)?

What is the competition exactly? What art? Is it grappling, striking, a mix? What do you think you're lacking in your performance?

I'd need a lot more information to even give you good basic advice.

OP
MLA9741

MLA9741

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What are you doing in terms of reps, sets, tempo, rest, how many times a week, specific exercises, weight.

On weights I shoot for low weight, high reps (mainly because of safety).
Chest Press: 20 reps, 15, 10. 145 lbs. Rest is probably 30secs-a minute. 3-4 times a week
Bicep Curls: 15 reps, 3 sets, 20 lbs. Same rest and same amount of times as above
Lawnmower Revvers: 15 reps, 3 sets, 20 lbs. Same rest and same amount of times as above
Bench Dips (not really weights): 20 reps, 3 sets, body weight, same rest and same amount of times as above.

**On the days I do not do weights, I do misc. core exercises.

What intervals are doing? What exercise(s)?
30 secs all out, 30 secs slow jog on a stationary bike. 6 days a week.

What is the competition exactly? What art? Is it grappling, striking, a mix? What do you think you're lacking in your performance?

WTF TKD sparring. I just want to improve my speed and reaction time. :D

Thank you!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do 100 kettle bell swings and 100 single hand snatches with a 16kg kettle bell.
This is done over 20 mins with each set of 10 starting at the top of the minute which gives about 30 secs rest between each work period.

Then I'll do a couple of hundred punches and palm strikes on the canvas wall bag.
After that 4 sets of 10 hanging leg raises off a chin up bar.

I don't do any stretching afterwards , just the three empty hand forms , Siu Nim Tao , Chum Kiu and the Biu Jee.
Doing the forms serves the purpose of stretching and helps with relaxation after the previous hard training.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here'e something I do to build stamina:

1 minute of jumprope
10 pushups
50 punches
Repeat for as long as you hold out

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It can differ from person to person. What works remarkably for Me, might not work as well for You.
I will say though, that less time on weights and more time strengthening the muscles which will actually conduct the motions You seek might be a good idea.

Personally, I use a modified form of this:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/4057358/The-Naked-Warrior
Since I cant afford to go to a Gym (First world problems ahoy!).
I just took the overall method, then personalized and tailored it. Hasnt failed Me yet.

I'm a firm believer in bodyweight exercises, in fact I've read a lot of martial artists (mainly taekwondoin) who say that you shouldn't lift any more than you weigh, my Judo instructor says the same.

I like the look of that book, but I personally use this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solitary-Fi...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334940716&sr=1-1

the guy might be a criminal, but he knows how to build fitness and strength on 0 budget.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I walk, and run some, push ups on knuckles and things like that. also kata, great exercise,

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in bodyweight exercises, in fact I've read a lot of martial artists (mainly taekwondoin) who say that you shouldn't lift any more than you weigh, my Judo instructor says the same.

I like the look of that book, but I personally use this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solitary-Fi...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334940716&sr=1-1

the guy might be a criminal, but he knows how to build fitness and strength on 0 budget.
I might have a closer look at that book - The main thing that the one Im using benefits from is simplicity. You are mainly using 2 exercises, which you can amplify the difficulty of as needed. Im interested to see other approaches, if not just out of curiosity. Cheers!