Martial Arts Myths

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't drink any more , but people used to think that if you were out with them at a drinking establishment they could be a smart **** to the bouncers or any one for that matter and you would automatically protect them .
I'm sorry but if you act like a dick to people then you are on your own mate .

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't drink any more , but people used to think that if you were out with them at a drinking establishment they could be a smart **** to the bouncers or any one for that matter and you would automatically protect them .
I'm sorry but if you act like a dick to people then you are on your own mate .

well, no matter how they act they are on their own. martial arts has calmed down that side of me. i dont really feel a need for confrontation or violence any more. maybe it was the first time i saw what my hand or foot could ACTUALLY do, i dunno. but, it would take a lot for me to fight a friends fight anyway.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That we are automatically violent.

The other one that has happened to me more often after getting my 1st Dan is they will talk by and hold their hands up in some goofy fashion go "Whaaaa" and then scoff when I DON'T take them apart. Like I walk around now with some kind of hair trigger that just is waiting to explode.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If he's a black belt he MUST be good.

I work with a guy who actually thought black belts had to register their hands, and was amazed when I told him it was a myth.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That we all get our daily transcendental meditation in the lotus position.

That martial artists are somehow "deeper" or more philosophical than other people.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Secret underground "kumite" to the death tournaments and hidden "ninja retreats".

That some turn to "the dark side" and must be hunted down and killed by the dojo.

Being required by law to inform your opponent you are a black belt before getting into a fight.

That we spar with real weapons all the time.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That dojos are filled with men with ego issues.

Wait...that's true. ;) But it's a reason why some women never make it through the door.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Secret underground "kumite" to the death tournaments and hidden "ninja retreats".

That some turn to "the dark side" and must be hunted down and killed by the dojo.

Being required by law to inform your opponent you are a black belt before getting into a fight.

That we spar with real weapons all the time.

My eyes are tearing up, serioulsy....

Another one for me is that people are surprised to learn that I go to church...they expect me to be like a Bhuddist or something...not that there's anything wrong with it...but I always get looks like I shouldn't be there, but everyone's afraid to say anything.

Yet another one is that I have long hair, as do many martial artists. I used to think it was cool, but now it gets old....getting called Steven Segal.

Here's a few more:

- People thinking I have mystical healing powers

- That I should be expected to break ANYTHING with my bare hands

- Any sparring match I'm in should look like a Jackie Chan movie fight scene

- If any weapon is laying around, I should automatically know how to use it

- If I happen to be watching a UFC event, people around me think I should know what the fighters should do next

- That I will automatically take up for anyone, no matter what the issue is, like some kind of knight in shining samuri armor

- That I can flip through the air, even though I'm 6'1" and weight 295 lbs

- No one believes me when I say I've never been in a real fight

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The 'death strike' of hitting the nose and the 'nosebone' going upwards and piercing the brain! yeah right! :)

It's possible, but not for the reasons that people say. If I hit you across the face with a baseball bat and shatter the skull I can drive the cartilage into the brain. But, it's the trauma caused by the impact of the strike and not some mysterious "death booger" going into my brain.

My favorite one that tops this one though, is "You can rip a person's heart out through their chest". Bruce Lee did it one time....

Also, at the top of my list...

How many bricks can you break? If you are a blackbelt you should be able to go grab a cinderblock and break it.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
alot of people that try to get into martial arts..

start it thinking its going to look like choreography on TV and movies..

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another strange thing is that people expect me to know everything about martial arts movies. But then again this stuff comes mostly from guys whose "training" consists of sitting in front of the tv with a bag of cheesy poofs. "You don`t remember Hattori Hanzo?? What kind of Karateka are you??"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another strange thing is that people expect me to know everything about martial arts movies. But then again this stuff comes mostly from guys whose "training" consists of sitting in front of the tv with a bag of cheesy poofs. "You don`t remember Hattori Hanzo?? What kind of Karateka are you??"

I'm sorry but I'm crying with laughter here at the thought of cheesy poofs..... over here a poof is an effeminate guy! That's made my grey day a whole load better!

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another one I just though of...

Everyone expects your children to be blackbelts almost out of the womb...if your child doesn't even participate in some sort of martial art, then there must be something wrong with him/her.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
everything is Karate. Kungfu, Muay Thai, Capoeira... its all Karate.
People have this misconception that anyone of any rank that takes martial arts is a deadly weapon. Karate = undefeatable.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is said that the black belt loses the ability to use contractions, and must answer any question with a vague parable.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is said that the black belt loses the ability to use contractions, and must answer any question with a vague parable.
I cannot agree with this. And holding blackbelts in two arts, I am qualified to speak to this subject.

Let us elaborate: once there was a man who sought to skip stones across the Yellow River, but could find no stones of the appropriate smoothness. An old man came passing by and suggested that the man take one of the rougher stones and place it in his shoe and walk with it for precisely three weeks, and at that time's end, attempt the skip again. The man did this, though it proved quite discomforting.

At the end of three weeks time, the man returned to the bank of the Yellow River and attempted to skip the stone across to the opposite bank. The stone, smoothed by being walked upon, skipped quite nicely and went quite far, but alas, not to the other side. He saw the old man walking again and said, "I did as you instructed, verable sir, but the stone did not go to the other side."

The old man laughed and replied, "To skip the stone is not the goal, but to become immersed in the currents."
:p

Daniel

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gotta remember that one..

Put some umlauts over the o's and you got yerself a pretty good metal band name.
icon14.gif