Martial Arts are Witchcraft, just ask this guy!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why, what are they afraid of?

Merton studied all religions and all it did was to give him better insight to his own. He did not fear them, it appears he embraced them. And I believe you will find the same attitude with the Dahli Lama as well

What is wrong with being afraid of being confused by another religion. A new practitioner might not be afraid, but be confused. I am a Christian. I would not like to see a new Christian confused and/or led astray by a proselytizer of another religion. Anyone of any religion who did not feel that way surely would not think much of his religion.

He also implies that Buddhism is a false religion, which tells you a lot.

It tells me he doesn't believe in Buddhism. Do you think there is another reason?

i say a few words to my guardian angel when i get in the ring to fight :) it's just something that i've always done, some people say a prayer before raising a glove to the sky, others keep quiet that whichever god it is will keep them safe :)

i think that MA and religion can be kept as separate things allowing everyone to take part no matter what their cultural / beliefs may be.

for me too much emphasis is placed on the religious beliefs of a person and not enough on the quality training that's available to that person along with the many opportunities that go with it.

If a martial art is taught that requires belief in aspects of another religious system, and your religion does not accommodate that, how would you be able to study that martial art without inner conflict? How might that affect your studies?

Out of curiosity, where do you believe your guardian angel comes from, and derives his power to aid you?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me it suggests that he believes that any religion that is not his own is false.

That is what I have been saying about most major religions.

Do you have a religion? Does your religion not believe that way?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For every person that says MA (or yoga, for that matter) is of the devil, there are 10 schools run by people of that same faith. Ignorance of what MA entails (and a lot of assumptions) are the reason for this. Sadly, it's ignorance speaking to others who are uniformed talking about what they think is wrong with others instead of trying to be more kind & compassionate.

My instructor is a Christian (as am I) and he spent a great deal of time in churches dispelling the "MA is of the devil" myth since the early 70's.

Too much time is spent :deadhorse, and not enough time doing good.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What is wrong with being afraid of being confused by another religion. A new practitioner might not be afraid, but be confused. I am a Christian. I would not like to see a new Christian confused and/or led astray by a proselytizer of another religion. Anyone of any religion who did not feel that way surely would not think much of his religion.

What's wrong with it!?

You're kidding right!?

I would say that anyone of any religion who does feel that way surely would not have much faith in his/her religion.

If one truly believes in and has true faith in their religion there is no worry or concern about being swayed or a "proselytizer"

As for what is wrong with that approach: For one learning stops in the name of fear, ignorance and dogma and they justified an Inquisition like that a few years back.

So someone wants to teach Taiji, which is only associated to Taoism by the fact that some of its movements and fighting applications were based on the I Ching and they are a proselytizer!? A guy teaches Karate which is Japanese and thereby associated with Shinto so he is a proselytizer!?. Someone wants to teach yoga, which is only associated with Hinduism these days pretty much by country of origin only these days and they are a proselytizer!? Better Yet the Dalai Lama shows up just to give a speech and he is then also a proselytizer!? If someone of another religion (Catholicism, udaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Muslimism, any of the versions of Protestantism, etc) shows up at a "Christian" church just to take a look and starts talking to people...is that person a proselytizer?

Thomas Merton was a Catholic and not only was he not afraid of other religions he studied them and wrote extensively about them and all it seemed to do was strengthen his faith.You may want to give him a read...or am I now being a proselytizer

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the truth of one faith over another was the issue in this thread. Debates about the validity of any faith are bound to go downhill real fast.

Let's get back to the topic of people saying that martial arts training violates a religion or is witchcraft, and get away from Faith X is true or not.

ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please return to the original topic.

jks9199
MT Asst. Administrator

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
WE ARE ALL INFIDELS!

MARTIAL ARTS - ROOTED IN THE OCCULT

The Martial Arts are more than just a method of self-defense or a system of health exercises. They actually involve a life philosophy derived from eastern religions. The testimonies of Karatekas a devout practitioner of karate or other forms of martial arts do not hide the fact that the martial arts are more than just a sport."Karatedo another form of karate is an art and I teach it as a way of being, a way of life, as a method of developing one's self, and not as a sport," states one teacher. Karate is not a fighting sport. This was completely misconstrued by people of this country where it was taken and turned into a sport.
There are many conflicting theories regarding the origin of the martial arts. The account stated here is a widely accepted survey that traces the general history of the martial arts and goes back too the dawn of civilization in India. Three millennia ago in China, the arts were developed even more extensively. By the establishment of the Feudal States in 770 B.C., Kung fu was widely practiced.
In 1928 they were renamed War Arts and were awarded national recognition. Over the centuries various aspects of the arts were modified and eventually evolved into more or less violent types.
Northern and Southern schools and hard and soft forms also developed. Kung fu was the original all inclusive term describing the martial arts. Later, specific names were applied to its variations: karate, tai chi, judo, jujitso, and aikido.
In Korea, the arts were known as Te Kwon Do. They were honed into their highest forms of proficiency in Okinawa.
Though one often thinks of the arts as made in Japan, they have many roots and cultural variations. The original religious philosophy of Kung fu dates back as far as 2696 B.C., where it was rooted in the Occult forms of divination known as the I-Ching and the book of Changes. Lao-Tse, the Chinese sage born in 604 B.C., added further embellishments. His teachings were set forth in a 5,280 word manuscript called Tao Te Chang, also known as " the Tao" or "the Way".
He taught salvation could not be found in prayer but rather by the observance of nature, the natural way.
As the trees bend with the wind, and rivers follow the path of least resistance, so must man adapt to the rhythm with evil and wrong. The next development in history of Kung fu took place when a monk named Bodhidharma brought Buddhism to China in sixth century A.D. When he discovered the monks sleeping during his lectures, he introduced exercises to assist them in meditation.
Known as I-Ching Sutura, his system combined Kung fu with the philosophical principle of Zen to develop a highly sophisticated form of weaponless fighting. The monks at his Shaolin temple became famous for their savage abilities of defense which they employed whenever they were attacked in the course of pilgrimages. Eventually two schools of martial arts evolved; Ch'uan Fe (Kung fu) based on the hard (external) school of Buddhism, and other arts founded on the soft (internal) school of Taoism. Martial arts have evolved into six basic forms by which they are known. In the Western world they are known as: Kung Fu, Tai Chi Ch'uan, Karate, Akido, Judo and Jujitsu.
Such Occult experimentation is forbidden in Leviticus 19:31. Karate works by inducing a passivity in the mind setting the stage for a type of self-hypnosis. A demon then enters and gives supernatural strength and power. Karate teachers call this "going into perfection." Kung Fu which is rooted in Zen Buddhism, was popularized by a TV series of that name. Bruce Lee movies (Enter the Dragon; Way of the Dragon; Return of the Dragon; Game of Death) also spread this occult science across the nation.
Spirits of Murder, Hatred, Pride, Bitterness, Depression, Resentment, Fear, Violence, Lust for Power, Lust for (green, brown or black) Belts, Sexual Lust, Fighting, Rage, Destruction, Suicide, Sadism and Masochism are some of the spirits commonly found in those who have trained in Martial Arts. Some of the more heavily possessed individuals have also become very adept at Mind control, Telepathy, Telekinetic, Mind reading, Astral projection and Soul travel under the leadership of demonic guides.

Does anyone else find this insanely offensive?

To get back on topic and in response to the OP

Well that is just based on a flawed understanding of history with a lot of assumption with a dash of complete ignorance of facts thrown in
For one thing Lao Tzu never said anything about salvation by the definitoin you might get from a Christian “deliverance from sin and its consequences, believed by Christians to be brought about by faith in Christ.” And while I’m talking about Lao Tzu, he may or may not have existed at all.

And nothing about bending like trees to evil and wrong either

As for Bodhidharmam he liekly did not exist and there is nothing called the “I Ching Sutra” Also no one combined Kung fu with the philosophical principle of Zen since Zen came after Chan and Chan is what is at Shaolin but even with that no one combined Kung FU philosphy with Chan either. For one thing “Kung Fu” (a bad translation) philosophy would be about fighting. And the Buddhism that likely came to Shaolin was likely Mahāyāna Buddhism.

And the last thing I will say is Taijiquan IS part of what he is calling Kung Fu.

There are so many holes in that thing it would be comical if it were not for the sad fact that someone is going to believe him
I have to leave now, if I had time I would write more but most of that is a load of….you know

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
WE ARE ALL INFIDELS!

Does anyone else find this insanely offensive?

No, I'm not particularly offended by other people's superstitious beliefs. As long as they don't use those beliefs in the supernatural to harm others I take a live and let live approach.

It's true that we are all infidels. According to one holy text or another or multiple holy texts, each one of us is an infidel. Along the same lines, unless one believes in all gods one is an atheist to some degree. Some atheists take it all the way down to not even believing in one of the over four thousand gods we are left with today (down from, perhaps, tens of thousands of gods).

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I go to the dojo and bring holy water maybe it would be okay. I doubt the instructor will let me sprinkle it on anybody but you never know tell you get that upset look (sometimes disappointed look) either way he will probably say to do pushups...
But that would keep the churchs quite, a bottle of holy water a day keep the church away

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What church took out things in the Bible? I believe the KJV Bible is the inspired and infallible word of God, so I don't believe anything has been left out or added to those words God wants us to have.

We do know that Peter commented on some of Paul's writings. Would you consider that to be Peter witnessing anything about about Paul, who wrote things he witnessed about Jesus? Even if you would not, I accept it on faith. You may not.

Catholic Bible and Protestant bible are not the same

Look up The Decree of Damasus

And these

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110610052642AAw3OC9

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080119103755AAi0QUJ

Folks, this is my last word on this the moderators want it back on topic so I shall no longer post on religious issues outside of the OP. I shall be ripping that apart later when I have time because there are more holes in that than Swiss cheese

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with that. And I agree that it should be the topic of a different thread. What I find mildly amusing is that I pointed out early on that there was no mention of witchcraft in what the OP quoted. But everyone keeps going with the the title of the thread. ;-)

Witchcraft is mentioned a half dozen times at the OPs linked site we are discussing.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks,
A number of posts that were off topic in this thread have been moved to a new thread, The Bible, Faith, and Martial Arts. Please keep this thread on topic, and I hope you'll continue the discussion in that thread.

jks9199
MT Asst. Administrator

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial Artists are like magicians, anyone who spends that much time paying attention to the detail of their own motion ends up being kind of a weird person. Like a Marine, your body begins to take on a command of its very own, and or, you become graceful as a ballerina, and it just seems off to a normal person. If that ain't magic, I don't know what is. Your very gate can change the behavior of those around you! You my friends are witches! :)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
and i suppose that when you perform a flying kick or a flying knee people expect you to be drinking red bull and growing wings too ;)

all very magical to those that don't know how to dance the dance ;)

and then there's the "tango" in the muay thai ring where your feet are constantly moving in squares never more than shoulder width apart ;) now that's spooky :)

and when you get to the checkout in the grocery store and you stand front on but with your leading leg pointing straight at the checkout person and your right foot is shoulder width apart - knee slightly bent and you're up on the ball of your foot ready to strike must look completely nuts too ;)

all very much witchcraft and wizardry -- that comes as part of martial arts muscle memory :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Still waiting for my telepathy, telekinesis and mind control powers...

Latest Discussions