Martial Arts an expensive hobby

At my first WTF TKD school I paid 65 dollars a month for unlimited classes and the BB test was $500 for 1st Dan, $750 for 2nd Dan, $1000 for 3rd Dan, etc.

My present school is 80 dollars a month for unlimited classes and my first two Dan tests were 200 bucks, this year it went up to 300.

adictd2tkdgirl said:
Is this how it is at most schools? or would you say that your instructors have a similar approach as mine?

there probably are other schools that have these fees, but that doesn't make it right.

Were you told about this $1000 fee up front? I'm not sure if I missed this or not, but is this fee just for a Black Belt training or does it include the BB testing fee?

I'm sorry, but if I was told I had to pay that much, I would feel taken advantage of and would go train somewhere else.

Martial arts should be about training and personal growth, not belts and $$$.

. If I am having trouble with something, my instructor will find away to help me overcome it and (aside from 1 particular kick...which still bugs me!) I have been able to do that. Sometimes I think that many teachers would care less, you get your time of instruction and it is up to you to develop the technique.

I haven't met an instructor who would not help you out extra if you needed it and showed the desire to try

hi adictd2tkdgirl. i fully understand you not wanting to post the name of the school. good for you. i run a traditional tkd school in burlington, i am a 5th dahn, and if i can help you in any way, please let me know. i have a competitor in my city that does a lot of underhanded tactics, so unfortunately, i have had to deal with the fallout from what they have done to the reputation of the martial arts in burlington.
Dusty

It was not when I first began an expensive hobby because my teacher did not use it as a primary source of income. However when other bills started to accumulate .... well it is now an expensive hobby...just like paintball, magic the gathering card game, and dungeons and dragons (the books anyway). All my hobbies have stepped to the side since the lovely portion of my income goes to all the vultures wanting a piece of what is not there.

BlueDragon1981 said:
It was not when I first began an expensive hobby because my teacher did not use it as a primary source of income. However when other bills started to accumulate .... well it is now an expensive hobby...just like paintball, magic the gathering card game, and dungeons and dragons (the books anyway). All my hobbies have stepped to the side since the lovely portion of my income goes to all the vultures wanting a piece of what is not there.

LOL!! Well put there my friend

Ace maybe we should plan a coop against the utilities companies, credit card companies, and all those other 30 bills that come. Maybe we can get them to lower rates instead of raising them....then we could continue with our hobbies.

BlueDragon1981 said:
Ace maybe we should plan a coop against the utilities companies, credit card companies, and all those other 30 bills that come. Maybe we can get them to lower rates instead of raising them....then we could continue with our hobbies.

LOL!! Hey that sounds good to me!

adictd2tkdgirl....what have decided to do about your situation?

A:ke! I thought Amerikick here in Brooklyn was pricey! $99 a month
BUT No Testing Fees.

Local JuJitsu Club is $40 a month or $150 for 6 months.

This is in Brooklyn NY

I checked out both TKD and Jujitsu I was in Vegas. Both were $180/month to start, not counting all the bells and whistles. Too expensive even for my blood.

Gemini said:
I checked out both TKD and Jujitsu I was in Vegas. Both were $180/month to start, not counting all the bells and whistles. Too expensive even for my blood.

$180/month for tkd!?!??!!?
That is plain crazy.

AceHBK said:
LOL!! Hey that sounds good to me!

adictd2tkdgirl....what have decided to do about your situation?

I think I am going to stick with the school. There really isn't anything better in my area, unless I am willing to drive 25 minutes. The only other place I was considering, hasn't called me back and I left a message 3 days ago!

adictd2tkdgirl said:
I must admit that I am finding TKD very expensive. I am paying $100/mth, plus $50 for each test and I have to pay an additional $1000 to move into the Black Belt Ranking. Is this normal? I may be wrong, but it seems kind of excessive.

I teach kenpo jujitsu and have never taken TKD. However, I do own a school. My fees are $75 per month with a $25 fee for belt tests. A black belt test is $50. I do have a full time job though and the school is not my sole source of income. That may be a mitigating factor. Remember, your instructor has bills to pay as well.

Check around though. Prices can vary widely. Another school in the area of my school charges about $100 and more.

My feeling is that Martial arts training of any kind should be the most affordable thing you can do. What does it require? A competent teacher, a willing student, and a place to do it. Sparring gear is probably the most expensive thing you should have to pay for. And how often do you belt test?

Everything is relative though. I remember an older gentleman who told us at a seminar that back in the 60s $15 for three months was considered a lot of money!

it kinda differs. my class that I take it's $20 a month $35 for the belt test and $100 for the black belt test. but some places are different

When I was taking some sales classes (Mass Training) we were told to look at some students as worth over $10,000 each - so don't burn them!

I own a part time club, 6 hours a week, so I can charge as little as $85/month and still give family member discounts. But if I were to open a full time school I would need to charge $130-$140/month, in the area that I want to serve, just to keep my doors open.

Those prices also make it so only certain individuals get training. Economic status should not be a factor if you really want to do it...unfortuanatly it is.

However being a business person I understand why they sometimes have to charge so much....specifically if that is what they live on. They better give you a lot though for anything that is over 100 a month.

That is why most people I study under have 1 to 2 hour classes in the evening because they have a job during the day.

Flying Crane said:
Tuition, testing and other costs can vary tremendously from art to art and school to school. It often depends a lot on how business minded the school is. Price can also depend a lot on geographic location. Any business minded school here in San Francisco will cost a good bit more than a similar school in Arkansas, for example. SF is just a really expensive place to live.

Some very talented instructors teach out of their garage or back yard and charge very little because it is only a supplemental income and they are more interested in teaching the art, over running a business.

The prices you list, in my opinion, seem a bit high, but not outrageous, (again by SF standards) with the exception of the $1000 to move into the black belt rankings. That last charge seems to me a bit like paying for an extended warranty on your TV: no reason for it, pure profit for the dealer.

Greetings,

Agreed.

Ok, I pay $50.00 a month for Tae Kwon Do and hapkido. I am testing for my green belt test Wednesday (White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple, Brown, Red, Black) and the test will cost me $40.00. The black belt test is $120.00.

I have seen schools that make you sign a contract and cost $100.00 a month. However, it is my impression that these schools are McDojo black belt factories. 3yr. contract, 2nd dan by the end of the 3.

Latest Discussions

Back