Decision regarding pricey membership

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't know the exact percentages off hand, but I can honestly say it is the majority. We have a very high retention rate and our quit rate is 3.17 percent for 2007, this figure includes those who move and drop for medical reasons. Terry, if there is valid reasons for someone with challenges in life who will put in the neccesary time and effort, I will work with them. However, I feel that if someone isn't serious about making a commitment to their training, my time and energy is better spent with the ones who are. Also, besides financial stability for the school, knowing that they have a reponsibility in keeping their commitment via the contract helps to keep people on task to accomplishing their goals when life throws those curve balls at them.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bottom line: I hate contracts. They have no place in martial arts. You practice because you want to, not because you are financially and legally obligated to give some instructor your money. Who knows where you'll be in 3 years. If what you have to offer is of value, students will come to you on their own and stay on their own, especially if the price is right.

I am with you all the way on that one, YoungMan. There are many schools that abuse the contract mechanism and a lot of things can and will change in three years. I understand why someone would use a contract mechanism, but I still don't agree with it. I think that if what you are teaching is truly worthwhile and you are a good teacher, then you won't have to find and retain students - they will seek you out on their own and they will stay for the long haul.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in the Chicago area (northwest suburbs) and that's very steep IMO, plus the contract is unreasonable.

I train Kung Fu for 100 a month, no contract. My son previously trained TKD for 125 a month with a one year contract. Both of those facilities are very nice with top notch instruction.

Even though TKD schools are more contract prone than other arts (from what I've seen), the requirements you describe don't sit right. Have you visited other schools to get a comparison? There is so much available in our area, check out some other options before making such a long-term, pricey commitment.

KEritano

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The cost and length of the contact does seem rather excessive. Yet, other than training, what else do you get? How many times a week can you train, do you get uniforms and equipment, do you have to pay testing fees? Do you receive free seminars, private lessons? Are all breaking materials provided? Do the facilities have full lockers and showers?

$200/month may be reasonable if it includes more than just 3x/week group training/

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For $200 a month, I'd better get limo service to and from class, sauna, and massage services.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The cost and length of the contact does seem rather excessive. Yet, other than training, what else do you get? How many times a week can you train, do you get uniforms and equipment, do you have to pay testing fees? Do you receive free seminars, private lessons? Are all breaking materials provided? Do the facilities have full lockers and showers?

$200/month may be reasonable if it includes more than just 3x/week group training/

These are good points. What else do you fees include?

Obviously, if you felt you were getting your money's worth, and didn't have concerns about contract length, you wouldn't have given posting your question a thought.

Do YOU feel it's too expensive? Can you see yourself making a 3-5 commitment? What if, God forbid, you become ill, or get injured, or lose your job, or any number of things that could effect your ability to train or pay for classes? Will they extend, or suspend, the contract?

Ultimately, the decision is yours, but before making your decision, explore your options. That way, if you do decide this is the best place for you, you won't have any regrets once locked into it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

This is a good point.

If the $200 a month includes something like a gym membership, access to a personal trainer or some "free" private lessons each week, or some other extras that offset the steep price, it's more reasonable. But the lengthy, hard sell contract still worries me. What outs are there if you move, or get fired? I know of several cases where someone ended up being transferred in their job, and still paying for a gym membership or martial arts contract in a different state after they moved...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a good point.

If the $200 a month includes something like a gym membership, access to a personal trainer or some "free" private lessons each week, or some other extras that offset the steep price, it's more reasonable. But the lengthy, hard sell contract still worries me. What outs are there if you move, or get fired? I know of several cases where someone ended up being transferred in their job, and still paying for a gym membership or martial arts contract in a different state after they moved...

The price is the price it is that contract that kills me. If they are good and the quality is great you do not need contracts they will stay.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I recently checked out a number of schools in Manhattan for myself and some work colleagues, and we found a number of great schools in varied styles. None came anywhere near 200 a month, though one was 145 (Aikido). None came anywhere near 3 to 5 year contracts either, though many were a full year. And we didn't get a group discount anywhere, either. I think you are on the absolute high side for both monthly billing and length of contract. I personally think both would scare me off.

But, as has been said, if you really feel this is the place for you, then its the place for you. If it isn't, well, there's always the Seido school on West Belmont ;)

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Usually beginners are more apt at decerning crap than those indoctrinated.

If it looks like crap...
If it smells like crap...

Then...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My question for the forum, do you think that the fee's requested are a bit off the high end of the scale and that the commitment period is as well?

Yes I think the fee is high and the commitment period is ridiculous. I've never had to sign a contract and I've never had to pay more than $100 per month.

At that rate ($200) I would expect unlimited group sessions and at least a one hour private lesson per week. But martial arts is one of those weird hobbies/lifestyles/whatever that the general market is fairly uneducated about and price controls through competition don't really exist.

Lamont

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wow that price sounds very scary! I live in the UK and I currently pay £32 a month for my Taekwondo and I'm allowed to train 6 nights a week if I wanted to. $200 would equate to approximately £100 in British pounds so thats a lot lot more. I don't have to sign a contract either.

I'm guessing things may be different in the USA regarding this but surely prices like that would prevent the average person enjoying Martial Arts? I know I would never be able to commit to those prices especially over such a long time frame.

In your position I would have a good shop around and see what else is available. I'd take up the offers of free trials in other schools before making a final decision. Ultimately though if it turns out to be the best school in the area and you can afford it then sign up but physically do the research first by sampling the alternatives.

It might work out cheaper to emigrate to the UK and join my class!!!

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you are here posting and asking other people's opinion, so you are not convinced at all about the price and the contract.

Humble opinion here, it's too expensive and the contract seems too long and a lot of things can happen in such period. And be careful. I've seen contracts for 3 or more years (these "black belt programs") you can't finish even if you have a severe injury, you are pregnant, lose your job, etc. having to (highly) pay for belt testing and being mandatory to buy (at expensive prices) all your equipment to your instructors, etc etc ETC!

I'd really look for another place. TKD is very popular, you are in a big place and you'll find a good reasonable school for sure.

Good luck!

OP
G

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I decided to re-up, despite the relatively higher cost. Factors which weighed in this decision were as follows:

1. Proximity to work allowing me to go at lunch with principally adults, 50/50 mix of BB and colored belts
2. It makes me $200/mth "happy", per the previous analogy, thank you
3. I believe that the training is better than the few dojangs I have viewed
4. I like the people I work out with

Thanks everyone for their input

ditn

White Belt
Reaction score
Dam im lucky then,i pay 130 euro a Year 3trainings/week and its really quality
training with a trainer who puts everything in it for his students

Latest Discussions