Decision regarding pricey membership

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for some insight/opinions, I'm a middle aged male who has been going to a Chicago area TKD for a year now. The master pushed hard that they only have "Black Belt" and "Instructor" programs, so you have to sign up for 3 or 5 years. After my 2 month period, I basically told him I like what I'm doing and find the instruction and camradery rewarding, but there is no way I could commit to 3 yr period, the "compromise" was $2K cash upfront for a one year period, which is roughly equivalent to the monthly fee. From my perspective, this is on the higher end of the scale. I don't mind paying extra for quality, but only to a point. I got a letter informing me that my options were to sign up for the "Black Belt" program at 200 /mth or the remaining 4 years of the "instructor" program for $179. I'm bewildered that parents could possibly commit small kids to such a long term program and dish out that kind of cash. I'd like to believe that the instruction is superior to your typical McDojangs and have visited a couple. A couple days a week I have the opportunity to go to the lunch time session, which is typically more robust as there are usually 4 or more Black Belts in it and one for each adult. there are rarely kids accept of course in the summer and the 1 hr session is generally much tougher than the evening session. My question for the forum, do you think that the fee's requested are a bit off the high end of the scale and that the commitment period is as well? thanks by the way attached is a link to what I think is one of the cooler TKD videos

http://www.sangmootaekwondo.com/video/Taekwondoway.WMV

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know what prices are in Chicago - but $179 or $200 / month seem steep to me, and requiring that type of commitment is concerning to me. I'd check around and see what other dojangs charge and how you like them.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got lots of other options in your area. I bet (actually, I'm pretty damn sure) that there are quite a few that don't require a contract, or two hundred bucks a month.

Pushing hard for contracts, payment up front... That all scares me. It makes me wonder how financially sound they are, among other things.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
wow.
That's a lot of money and a long contract.
Do your shopping now before you get in too deep. If I read you correctly, you have only been at that school for two months. That is a short time and now is a good time to see if there is a place that could make you happier regarding fees.
Make sure you call every school in the phone book and every ymca/community center.
Good luck and keep us updated on your situation.

AoG

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bottom line: I hate contracts. They have no place in martial arts. You practice because you want to, not because you are financially and legally obligated to give some instructor your money. Who knows where you'll be in 3 years. If what you have to offer is of value, students will come to you on their own and stay on their own, especially if the price is right.

OP
G

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I've been at this school for a year, with the initial 2 month sign up, now I have 2 months left in the 1 year thing that he didn't really want me to sign up for, like the product, don't like the price. The school has been around for 20+ yrs.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a lot per month but then Chicago is also very steep all around. I would look around really hard before I would ever sign a long term contract. Personally I just do not like contracts at all. Though I do understand that if someone is teaching full time they are looking to ensure their business viability. Still not my cup of tea.
icon6.gif

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
$200 per month sounds pretty pricey. I am about an hour or so west of you (past Elgin) and we are $100 per month with a discount for the 2nd and 3rd person from the same family and then nothing extra for 4th, 5th etc...

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
oooffaaa... I thought 85 bucks a month for a single person (cheaper for two and family membership) was a little steep. If he's pushing hard to get that kind of money up front I would be worried about the financial footing of the school. I'd be looking elsewhere.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
200 a month are you kidding me? I have sn programs out there abd contracts and I hate them both. I'm a school owner and not to blow my own horn but I'm a damm great one. U would never ask for someone to pay that much for classes and I would never ask anyone to make a contract for any amount of time.

I beleive people will stay for the right price and the training if you need a contract to keep people than it is not worth it plan and simple.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm originally from the Chicago area & I've never heard a price that steep.

A wise friend of mine used to like a certain type of car. When I asked him why he didn't just buy it, he'd say, "It would make me happy, but it wouldn't make me $50,000 happy." $50K was the cost of the car.

You said you liked what you got from school. The question you need to ask yourself is, "Does it make me $200 a month happy?" If the answer is yes, it really doesn't matter what the rest of us think.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't comment on the price, I live in cheaps ville....I understand the overhead can be very different from area to area...so you have to decide, is it worth the 200 bucks...however, having been in martial Arts for about 4 years...a long term commitment of the proposed kind freaks me out. In the time I have been going, I had a car break down, I moved and was sick...granted, all that was off time I kept paying my dues...but on a yearly contract, thats do-able....besides, you are supposed to get a discount when you pay upfront....

Personally, I'd shop around...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm originally from the Chicago area & I've never heard a price that steep.

A wise friend of mine used to like a certain type of car. When I asked him why he didn't just buy it, he'd say, "It would make me happy, but it wouldn't make me $50,000 happy." $50K was the cost of the car.

You said you liked what you got from school. The question you need to ask yourself is, "Does it make me $200 a month happy?" If the answer is yes, it really doesn't matter what the rest of us think

This post - especially the bolded part - sums up everything nicely, I think. If it's worth it to you, then it's worth it; if not, start shopping around.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to give the other end of the spectrum in awnsers as far as school owners are concerned. My demographics and cost of operation are a lot lower than they are in Chicago, so I don't charge nearly as much. However, I honstly feel that the value and the quality of my service and product are more than worth those prices and then some. I'm sure that other instructors who don't feel the same are very honest people and feel that they should charge what they feel is the worth of their programs (LOL).

As far as contracts are concerned, if I am going to commit to my students, then I expect a comittment from them. I don't have the time or the energy to invest in someone who is not serious about their training, because I truly do commit to giving my all to them and helping them achieve the goals they have set. I do allow people up to one month free to try our school out and make sure that this is right for them and also right for us. If both parties agree that this is the right course of action for both sides, then they may enroll for a one year course. Like ALL contracts in the USA, there is a legal provision that if someone has a valid medical reason that they can't continue their training or if they move where they can't use the school, the contract is cancelled.

I use the first year as an extended trial course to see over a long period will someone be consistant in their training and in that time, as they learn what it's really about, they decide if becoming a black belt is part of the healthy and successful lifestyle that they want to commit to. If not, I shake their hand and wish them well. If they are willing to commit and have met the requirements (and just having the money or signing the contract is not the only or even the main criteria), then we enroll them into our black belt training program which is a three year commitment. It is NOT a guarantee that they will become black belts, but they are now getting the upgrade in the training to take them to that level.

Of course, when you run a full time business and you have payroll to meet, the financial guarantee is a real factor. But even if I were to win a $100,000,000 lottery tommorow, I would still do things the same way. This includes still teaching full time (though I admit that I would probably cut my hours at the school back to roughly 40/wk and actually take vacations) and if anything, I would probably raise my prices and more strongly enforce the policies for commitment from the students. Not because I am greedy (under said conditions, I would give all profits to my staff), but because without the financial stress or burden, I would be free (or have the guts) to fully implement how I think it should be done w/o any compromise.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See I have to dis-agree a little here, kwan Jang. First off I have had students with me for 10-15 years no contracts, one individual only came one day a week for the forst three years and that was all he had time with. the second year he went to 6-8 days a month and now 12 years later he come on a regular basis 4-5 days a week. See in the beginning he was only able to give e 1 days between hoing to school being married and working he had very little time but love the art and the way I trought, in the second year his wife became pregnant and he was down to 2 classes a week so he had mor etime. Now he is vry successful and has the time to devote to his training. If I would have push the button he would have vanished from MA all together, I know this because we have had these types of converstations and he appreciated someone taking the time to understand that life sometimes has to come first and MA second.

Now he is better and has two wonderful daughters and a wife that has come full circle and he is a better person today for it. I guess my point is we never know what people are going though in there lifes to ask for a contract, all we can do is teach everyday and hope that we can make a difference enough that when they have the time to come train that they are there.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
See I have to dis-agree a little here, kwan Jang. First off I have had students with me for 10-15 years no contracts, one individual only came one day a week for the forst three years and that was all he had time with. the second year he went to 6-8 days a month and now 12 years later he come on a regular basis 4-5 days a week. See in the beginning he was only able to give e 1 days between hoing to school being married and working he had very little time but love the art and the way I trought, in the second year his wife became pregnant and he was down to 2 classes a week so he had mor etime. Now he is vry successful and has the time to devote to his training. If I would have push the button he would have vanished from MA all together, I know this because we have had these types of converstations and he appreciated someone taking the time to understand that life sometimes has to come first and MA second.

Now he is better and has two wonderful daughters and a wife that has come full circle and he is a better person today for it. I guess my point is we never know what people are going though in there lifes to ask for a contract, all we can do is teach everyday and hope that we can make a difference enough that when they have the time to come train that they are there.

I have to agree. I think 3-6 month contracts are the longest anyone should, within their right mind, sign. Who knows what life brings? I've been training for 17 years and have yet to sign one single contract. I've also had students come and go as they traverse through life, and while I am sad to see them go, I'm not going to force anyone down a path they don't want to be walking. I really feel the only contracts between an instructor and a student should be: When is payment due and how much is it? What equipment is allowed? Is the student allowed to use outside equipment? What are the promotion requirements?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The prices are high, but if the classes and the facility are worth it, then they are worth it, nothing mroe too it.

Instructors have to sign leases, and have to support families, etc. I understand the need for a contract, from both sides. In most other industries it wouldn't seem that far fetched.

Although I don't like the long term ones, anything more then a year would raise a big red flag in my eyes.

But that's up too you, shop around if you like, stay if you like. Is what you are doing worth $200 / month? If pushed, would the owner give you a shorter term, or a lower rate? Things are occasionally negotiable, if you push the right buttons.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I use the first year as an extended trial course to see over a long period will someone be consistant in their training and in that time, as they learn what it's really about, they decide if becoming a black belt is part of the healthy and successful lifestyle that they want to commit to. If not, I shake their hand and wish them well. If they are willing to commit and have met the requirements (and just having the money or signing the contract is not the only or even the main criteria), then we enroll them into our black belt training program which is a three year commitment. It is NOT a guarantee that they will become black belts, but they are now getting the upgrade in the training to take them to that level.

What percentage of students who sign up for the three year contract actually study the entire three year period? (Minus those who move or get medical exemptions.)

Lamont

Latest Discussions