Martial art movies

OP
chrismay101

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the Kung fu films but im getting a bit bored of them at the moment some are great but some are a bit dull!

I was very diappointed with Hero (Jet Li).
Fearless was Good.
Seven swords Dullllllll!
House Of flying Daggers OK. (Just)
Ong Back (Tony Jaa) fantastic Fights - naff story who cares fantastic fights! I know this is more thai boxing.
Fist of legend - very good - fights still not as good as Fist of fury!
And loads more not mentioned

I wish some film company in china making a kung fu movie's would drop wire work and do just a straight kick *** one like Ong Back, Enter the dragon, Fist of fury, fist of legend lets see something that is not just chinese fairy storys were all we get is wire work and speeded up fights!

Any good fight films come out of the USA?

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Fearless (Jet Li)
Kiss of the Dragon (Jet Li)
Unleashed (Jet Li)
The Protector (Tony Jaa) had some great action scenes.

one flick to avoid at all costs, in my opinion, is the remake of the Seven Samuaria - what a piece of garbage.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish some film company in china making a kung fu movie's would drop wire work and do just a straight kick *** one like Ong Back, Enter the dragon, Fist of fury, fist of legend lets see something that is not just chinese fairy storys were all we get is wire work and speeded up fights!

Hear hear!

IMO, wire work to simulate the effects of a hard kick = good

Wire work to make people defy the laws of physics = :rolleyes:

Jason Shirley

White Belt
Reaction score
jackie chan in police force aka police story think its 1985 he injured most of stunt crew after that know wanted to work with him the ending mall seen is fantastic.also drunken master two aka legend of drunken master, although drunken fitst style is something chan invented for entertianment value it appear's to have some practicule apllicatoin's.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jackie chan in police force aka police story think its 1985 he injured most of stunt crew after that know wanted to work with him the ending mall seen is fantastic.also drunken master two aka legend of drunken master, although drunken fitst style is something chan invented for entertianment value it appear's to have some practicule apllicatoin's.

What was that in english?

Personally, I like almost all martial arts films, from the very cheesy to the very cliched, to the funny and the realistic ones.

It's gotta be pretty bad before I'll not watch it.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't believe no one posted Kung Pow: Enter the Fist!!! That has got to be the best CHEESEY martial arts/sci-fi movie ever made. It is even well below B-movie status.

I like all of Jet Li's movies and most martial art movies as well. God help me, I even like Steven Segal...more cheese factor. I am also beginning to like the guy from the Transporter movies. He was also in Crank, I believe. His name escapes me and I am too lazy to open another browser and look on IMDB.

I didn't like The Last Samurai all that much. I felt like it was too much like Dances With Wolves. And I don't care for Van Damme or that Sasha guy from the show Step By Step. I think he did all of the kickboxer movies. However, when the insomnia kicks in and Bloodsport is playing on Spike TV, I will watch it anyway.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fearless (Jet Li)
Unleashed (Jet Li).

Loved those..

Iron Monkey (Only the first one)
Drunken Master (either version)
Perfect Weapon ( Jeff Speakman)

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fearless (Jet Li)
Unleashed (Jet Li)
The Protector (Tony Jaa) had some great action scenes.

one flick to avoid at all costs, in my opinion, is the remake of the Seven Samuaria - what a piece of garbage.

I love the tournament seens at the end of Fearless.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Kill or be killed" was a fave. If I ever have to fight a pack of wolves, I'm ready. Of course I was nine when I watched this movie it may not be as good as I remember.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't watched many of the Bruce Lee films, or most of the others mentioned here, I prefer the female martial artist type films. My favourite actresses is Milla Jovovich, I know she only learnt what she needed to for the film (but did it well) but she is a darned good actress and I love the Resident Evil films. I can remember her doing a back-kick in a graveyard in the second one :D
Go rent "Return of the Dragon" right now! Don't even stop at red lights. This is important.:soapbox:
Sean

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for a lot of them. So, I can't really say I have a discriminating eye for MA cinema. But, I do really like "Best of the Best." I'd highly reccommend it.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Karate Kid- the first one
Best of the Best- the first one, maybe the second one
any Don 'The Dragon' Wilson movie- kinda cheesy (maybe), but I like him
Enter the Dragon- it's a classic
Mortal Kombat- now THIS proves I'm a geek! It's just awesome.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you want to see some cool modern fighting and a good story, watch SPL called Kill Zone here in the US. It's got a cool knife vs club fight between Donnie Yen and Jackie Wu. It's also got a great fight scene between Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung that uses jiujitsu.

benj13bowlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I love all martial arts movies from Kung Pow to Enter the Dragon, but the best fight scene ever has to be in the Protector. The fight scene in the temple against the Capoeira fighter.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I can't believe that no-one has mentioned the Lone wolf and cub series yet? I love those.

The "Drunken master I and II" and "Big trouble in little China" films were great entertainment. I'm also with "Journeyman on enjoying "Snake in eagle's shadow" (how good was Jackie Chan in his younger days??). The old Run run shaw film "King Boxer" was pretty good too.

And i don't care what anyone says, Shaolin soccer was great!
icon10.gif
Stephen Chow rules!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want to see some cool modern fighting and a good story, watch SPL called Kill Zone here in the US. It's got a cool knife vs club fight between Donnie Yen and Jackie Wu. It's also got a great fight scene between Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung that uses jiujitsu.

Finally someone mentions this movie. One of the BEST movies. Sammo vs. Donnie Yen...classic

DTG..Dragon Tiger Gate featuring Donnit Yen

ANY movie with Gordon Liu
-Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
-The 36th Chambers

Also any movies made by the Shaw Brothers

Latest Discussions