Martial art movies

llewis823

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just watched Jet Li's Fearless last night. Very good movie. Since I'm still a newbie to MA, I have all the books in the world and all the movies in the world to watch and not run out and be waiting for new ones for quite a while! I am reading "Iron & Silk" right now but the library doesn't have a copy of the movie to check out. I'll have to hit the video stores.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised some of these weren't mentioned.

The Seven Samurai - A classic tale about a village being ravaged by bandits. The peasants, who hate the samurai, set out to hire samurai willing to fight for them with food and boarding as their only compensation. An amazing film that inspired films such as The Magnificent Seven and Seven Swords as well as the anime Samurai Seven.

The Musashi Trilogy - The story of the legendary Miyamoto Musashi ranging from his early life to his duel with Kojiro Sasaki.

Fighter in the Wind - I'm pretty sure this movie was made in Korea. The story centers around Kyokushin founder, and former Toughest Man Alive, Mas Oyama's life as a Korean stow away looking to become a fighter pilot in Japan. Instead he revolutionizes the martial arts world defeating some of the toughest Martial Artists in Japan.

Once Upon a Time in High School: The Spirit of Jeet Kune Do - The story about a high school student in I think the mid-late 70's. He attends school in a totalitarian-esque high school and befriends another guy known to be an excellent fighter. When stuff goes down, the main character will decide enough is enough and begins training in Jeet Kune Do, to finally stand up for himself.

Oldboy - Not exactly a martial arts film, but it has one of the best fight scenes ever.<- Period.

Now one thing that I have to add is that I'm a huge fan of the Korean fight choreography. The fights are the most realistic I've seen in a long time. There aren't too many of the old Hong Kong fight formula which is: Main character beats up all the normal guys no problem. Fights the tough guy and gets beaten up a bit, but eventually wins. Then fights the main villain, gets beaten up a lot. More dialogue, and then finally the main character defeats the main bad guy. Seriously, just watch the flicks. You'll like them.

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Check out a movie made 2 years ago called "So Close". Finally see 3 women in strong roles, great sword play at the end.

009abz

White Belt
Reaction score
I Cant Believe People Havent Said Blood Sport It Has To Be One Of The Best Martial Art Movies All So Undesputed 1 And 2

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Karate Kid- the first one
Best of the Best- the first one, maybe the second one
any Don 'The Dragon' Wilson movie- kinda cheesy (maybe), but I like him
Enter the Dragon- it's a classic
Mortal Kombat- now THIS proves I'm a geek! It's just awesome.

Glad you said it; Karate Kid is my favorite MA movie.

I enjoy all martial arts movies. I've been looking for a couple movies The local video stores don't have: They call me Bruce and The adventures of Remo Williams. I remember seeing them when I was younger but I can't find them anywhere.

Spike TV was showing some good MA movies but I think they replaced the time slot with the Power Block. It's good too but I'm a car guy too.

SGT_GRUNT_USMC

White Belt
Reaction score
Some of my favorites:

Best of the Best
Best of the Best 2
The Karate Kid 1,2,3,and 4
Enter the Dragon
Bloodsport
Revenge of the Ninja
Night of the Warrior
Forced Vengeance
A Force of One

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Check out a movie made 2 years ago called "So Close". Finally see 3 women in strong roles, great sword play at the end.

That movie was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flashpoint - donnie yen vs. collin chou...great movie just hit theatres Aug 8th

onibaku

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
tom yung gung is good. ong bak and chinese movies are good too. any movie by jackie chan, jet li, and bruce lee. the last samurai is my favorite