MA Uniform as Halloween Costume

tigycho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the run-up to Halloween, I've seen/heard a handful of instructors caution their students that wearing their uniform as a Halloween costume is 'disrespectful'.

Just curious as to everybody's take on this.

Is doing so a no-no? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful opinions.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the run-up to Halloween, I've seen/heard a handful of instructors caution their students that wearing their uniform as a Halloween costume is 'disrespectful'.

Just curious as to everybody's take on this.

Is doing so a no-no? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful opinions.

It's kids. Let 'em wear it, just don't get it all nasty. But I'm an adult student, not an instructor. I'd do whatever my Sensei said. Far as I know, he doesn't care. Usually he jokes about renting out his gi and black belt to parents for $20 for the night. I'm pretty sure he's joking, anyway.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

While technical definitions may include it as a "costume" and while perhaps not exactly disrespectful I consider it inappropriate.

When it comes to Halloween Costumes the following definition is applicable
"
. a set of clothes, esp unusual or period clothes, worn in a play by an actor or at a fancy dress ball: a jester's costume

"

For instance, would a soldier go to a Halloween party in their uniform? I think not

So, for an MA student, an MA uniform is not worn for them to act the part or pretend they are something they are not.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of it.

It's also a great way to get the uniform stained or otherwise ruined by the elements. And that's it's own reward when parents who had their kids wear their doboks have to buy a new one.

Pax,

Chris

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not a big deal either way to me. If someone wants to attribute some sort of importance to the dogi/dobak & obi/di, go ahead. So long as we realize there was nothing originally sacrosanct about the uniforms when they were first added in judo and karate.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm also not a fan of it, and I caution my students to not do it. I then very happy sell the parents a new uniform when they disregard my caution and the uniform gets messed up.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm also not a fan of it, and I caution my students to not do it. I then very happy sell the parents a new uniform when they disregard my caution and the uniform gets messed up.
Not to mention... aren't the uniforms designed after the long underwear enthusiasts wore in Korea? Trick or Treaters would be running around in their underwear! :)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
On a day when kids dress as Spiderman, Spongebob, a zombie or a witch, a child wanting to wear their dobok is showing that for them Taekwondo is a role they are trying and maybe something they are proud of. For my 4 and 5 year olds in particular, I don't want the art to be any more serious than that. If they're proud and excited to have a dobok, I don't mind if they want to Trick-or-Treat in it. If/when Taekwondo becomes a real part of their identity, the dedicated students (including some kids) I know just see it as their training clothing rather than a costume, and their belt as a matter of achievement rather than persona...they outgrow the idea of pretending to be a martial artist because they have become real martial artists.

Carl

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with it and none of my instructors have ever had an issue with it. Maybe they recognize the free advertising :) I think some instructors need to pull the stick out of thier butt and quit treating martial arts as a super secret religious organization.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The reason my wife signed up my son is for that 1 free month and free uniform she thought he would use it as a Halloween costume. He never did use it for Halloween and 11 years later he is a Black Belt in two Martial Arts and has traveled around the world fighting.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan. I'm not sure letting kids thing of their uniform as a costume is a good message to send.
But I know I'm somewhat old school on this issue. I'm not even a fan of them wearing their uniforms outside the school, generally. It's not prohibited, but it's discouraged.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to mention... aren't the uniforms designed after the long underwear enthusiasts wore in Korea? Trick or Treaters would be running around in their underwear! :)

I believe it was a take off on what the Samurai wore under their Silk Kimono's.

Tried to wear mine as a "Costume" after class so I could get a $2.00 Burrito at Chipotle but the line was out the dor at 9:30 PM so we gave up:)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, it never made sense to me for a person to dress up as himself doing something he already does for hobby or sport such as karate, football, or being a zombie. At the same time, I don't mind if they do. It's all in good fun, and maybe they do it because it's their way of showing they appreciate what they do?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't care, I just think its a lazy choice. The idea of a halloween costume is to go as someone you are not, not as someone you are. I don't think too many Pop Warner players trick or treat in their football uniforms for that reason.

That being said, I think martial arts captivates the imagination of kids in a way that other sports do not so...it doesn't bother me one way or another.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, it never made sense to me for a person to dress up as himself doing something he already does for hobby or sport such as karate, football, or being a zombie. At the same time, I don't mind if they do. It's all in good fun, and maybe they do it because it's their way of showing they appreciate what they do?

I wish I had seen this before I posted :lol:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's just plain disrespectful to the Martial Arts. I know it's just little kids and little kids are innocent and should always be cut a lot of slack, but I just find it so wrong. Perhaps I'm being old fashioned and a fuddy duddy but hey, it comes with the territory.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish I had seen this before I posted :lol:

:)

I have at least one or two youth football player trick-or-treaters each year that wear their football gear. I agree that it is a lazy choice.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have at least one or two youth football player trick-or-treaters each year that wear their football gear.

We had a lot of kids in their football gear last night. It is lazy, but its better than the ones wearing a super hero t-shirt and shorts.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think that this is a fun little thread but if you are taking a moral stand on this you should chill out!

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've worn my uniform to a party before. Had nothing to do with lazy. Had everything to do with not using my food money on a Halloween costume.

Some kid wearing his martial arts uniform trick or treating does no one any harm. Seems there are much bigger things to be upset about than this, even in the martial arts community.

Latest Discussions