Lose Weight...Sue

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across this article. Yes, I'll admit, the first thing that came to my mind, when I saw the mans original weight and his current weight was, "Good! I'm sure it'll do your body good to shed a few pounds!!!"

I find it interesting because he says that while he is doing nothing while in jail, he's losing weight, and he's always feeling hungry. Ummm...ya think!! If you go from eating enough for 5 people, down to normal size meals, sure, you're going to notice and feel it. But to say that you're being starved...sorry, that seems a bit much IMHO.

Now, I know that prison meals are not 5 star restaurant quality and life in prison isn't as good as a 5 star resort..and IMO, it sholdn't be! Don't do the crime is you can't do the time! I worked for the DOC here in CT for a short period, so I'm aware of what they eat and the ammenities they get.

They get 3 square meals a day as well as the chance to get items from the prison store. Whether or not this place has one, I don't know, but the ones in CT. do.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He's prolly weak because his pancreas is adjusting. :rolleyes:

The nice part of me says 'suck it up, buttercup.' He's not in prison for a lifestyle maintenance program. He's getting the required food intake he needs - the max calories he probably needs unless he has a medical problem or is so darn large in skeletal and muscular structure he has to have more than 3000 cal. per day just to live. I'm sure any medical doctor *someone* will surely call in would evaluate his dietary requirements and physical condition happily.

The mean part of me says ... feed him as much fat and grease they can get their hands on and maybe he'll stroke out before they have to put him up for life for murder one.

Which part of me is saner? I think it's all about perspective. This guy needs a little perspective. Bad gangsta. No cookie for you. ;)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The mean part of me says ... feed him as much fat and grease they can get their hands on and maybe he'll stroke out before they have to put him up for life for murder one.

Agreed. I'm sure he didn't get that big from eating healthy. Its really amazing, because if we really took the time to measure out exactly the amounts that we should be eating, we'd be very surprised. I just took a look at the icecream container we have in the freezer. It says serving size= 1/2 cup. Servings per container= 14. How many times can we honestly say that we measure a 1/2 cup? I know I don't.

With all of the 'watchdogs' that the prison has, I'm sure the meal plan is up to standards.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they fed him enough to keep him at 413 lbs. then his family would sue for over-feeding and under-exercising him when he died of a heart attack. Unless he has a highly unusual metabolism or is on hard labor, 3000 calories is fine.

He could always send out for pizza. :D

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they fed him enough to keep him at 413 lbs. then his family would sue for over-feeding and under-exercising him when he died of a heart attack. Unless he has a highly unusual metabolism or is on hard labor, 3000 calories is fine.

Exactly! As always its a no win situation. Perhaps if this person put more effort into bettering himself, not only physically, but to rehab himself as well, so if/when he gets out, he can be somewhat productive, he'd be better off.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

He could always send out for pizza. :D
The metabolic issue could be legit and I hope the defense counsel seeks a full medical workup of this guy. If he didn't let them know of any issues he had I don't think they can be held liable.

But I don't think Domino's accepts payment in cigarettes. ;)

Exactly! As always its a no win situation. Perhaps if this person put more effort into bettering himself, not only physically, but to rehab himself as well, so if/when he gets out, he can be somewhat productive, he'd be better off.

Indeed. But I don't think prison life is geared towards rehabilitation anymore - I mean, I don't even think many are *trying.* Even so, there are many people who are completely against in-prison rehabilitation, complaining that the education they receive would be better endowed upon someone else.

So if we're not supposed to keep inmates healthy and try to make them better people ... why are we bothered with sending them to prison in the first place? To turn out sicker, meaner, bigger *******s than they already were? I don't know what the answer is for prison life.

But this guy needs to get with the program and recognize he has another shot at living beyond 40.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed. But I don't think prison life is geared towards rehabilitation anymore - I mean, I don't even think many are *trying.* Even so, there are many people who are completely against in-prison rehabilitation, complaining that the education they receive would be better endowed upon someone else.

So if we're not supposed to keep inmates healthy and try to make them better people ... why are we bothered with sending them to prison in the first place? To turn out sicker, meaner, bigger *******s than they already were? I don't know what the answer is for prison life.

But this guy needs to get with the program and recognize he has another shot at living beyond 40.

Oh, I agree. I said that because a) there are so many people who seem to think that rehab actually works and b) because it may work for some. Believe me when I say, I'm sure there're more repeat offenders than ones that actually rehab themselves. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but...I don't think the prison system should play games either. I used to watch half my block leave for drug and alcohol programs, bible study and things of that nature. I used to think to myself, "LOL, look at these clowns leaving. I'm sure they have no more interest in God now than they did when they held the gun to the shop owners head while cleaning out the register." Its an excuse to get some 'free time' for an hour or so, nothing more. Do some actually get something out of it? I'm sure if you took the amount that left, cut that in half, and then cut it in half again, that remaining amount would be the ones who got something out of it.

I'm sure if this guy in question got off his rear, ate right and got some exercise, he'd feel much better and I'm sure the hungry feeling would eventually diminish.

Don't let this clowns comments fool you. Even the most hard core guys get some rec time. And even if they didn't doing body weight exercises would work wonders. :)

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Course he could be feeling light headed fromt he exercise cause he hasn't done it..probably ever....his lungs probably don't know how to handle him actually moving....

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well such a rapid and severe weight loss will drastically change the body chemistry, he's likely detoxing some stuff, I doubt they get vitamins in prison, eh?

So of course he's weak. ****! That'll change.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The man's on trial for beating a man, stabbing him, then setting him on fire, and he's complaining about losing 100 pounds in 8 months? Now THAT'S entitlement. I love the shameless plug for the food corporation at the article's end, though: at least I learned something. :p

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu

I do. But I doubt enough people will see it my way in time to make any difference.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
not speaking for Andy here. I figure the answer to the prison problem is simple. Prisons used to be a BAD place to be, and people, if they got out, didnt want to go back

now, with library's and computers and internet access, and no more prison farms, prison is nicer than where they live half the time.

Prison farms were revenue neutral at worst, at best they made a profit most of the time. lets go back to that. Lets go back to the days when the sentence was "20 years at HARD LABOR"

well, thats or increase the list of capitol crimes a LOT

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Charge him what some of the weight loss programs charge per pound lost, that'll teach him.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just took a look at the icecream container we have in the freezer. It says serving size= 1/2 cup. Servings per container= 14. How many times can we honestly say that we measure a 1/2 cup? I know I don't.

Ice cream containers don't hang around in our freezer long enough to read them. :p That is why I just don't buy it. I would rather go get a small ice cream somewhere (portion control). LOL

Anyway, that jail should patent their weight loss program! :p The guy should be happy he has lost over 100 pounds. It just goes to show that he is a few genetic strands away from the average human capacity for intelligence. ;)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I notice that the original article was listed under "Criminal Weirdness" - that seems to sum it up nicely, IMO! This is another of the endless nuisance suits that inmates love to file - certainly, send a doctor to him; let his family choose and pay the doctor, if they choose, and if he truly does have a metabolic disorder unrelated to rapid (and, dare I say, needed) loss of 1/4 of his body weight, treat him for it. Otherwise, tell him to suck it up and thank the prison for reducing his risk for a high number of ailments.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
not speaking for Andy here. I figure the answer to the prison problem is simple. Prisons used to be a BAD place to be, and people, if they got out, didnt want to go back

now, with library's and computers and internet access, and no more prison farms, prison is nicer than where they live half the time.

Prison farms were revenue neutral at worst, at best they made a profit most of the time. lets go back to that. Lets go back to the days when the sentence was "20 years at HARD LABOR"

well, thats or increase the list of capitol crimes a LOT

Ya know...this is one post I agree with 110%!!!!! I think its out in AZ, but isn't there a Sheriff somewhere that runs a prison where all the inmates live in tents outside, wear the old school blakc/white stripe outfit or IIRC sometimes its pink, to humble them a bit?

I drive down the highway and see garbage all over the side of the road. Why not bring back the chain gangs and have them give something back to the community by cleaning it up.

Usually only the worst of the worst get locked up for 23 out of 24 hrs a day. I say make that the norm for everyone. Get out for an hour a day to shower, make phone calls, and even get some rec...but of course, that rec should be in a small area as well.

Cruel, mean, harsh? You bet, but I'd bet people would think twice before doing another crime.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ice cream containers don't hang around in our freezer long enough to read them. :p That is why I just don't buy it. I would rather go get a small ice cream somewhere (portion control). LOL

LOL! I hear ya! 14 servings? Not likely in my house either. I have no kids, its just my wife and I, but when I scoop, my dish has alot more than a few spoonfuls in it. :)

Anyway, that jail should patent their weight loss program! :p The guy should be happy he has lost over 100 pounds. It just goes to show that he is a few genetic strands away from the average human capacity for intelligence. ;)

Agreed.