Lose Weight...Sue

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Ya know...this is one post I agree with 110%!!!!! I think its out in AZ, but isn't there a Sheriff somewhere that runs a prison where all the inmates live in tents outside, wear the old school blakc/white stripe outfit or IIRC sometimes its pink, to humble them a bit?

I drive down the highway and see garbage all over the side of the road. Why not bring back the chain gangs and have them give something back to the community by cleaning it up.

Usually only the worst of the worst get locked up for 23 out of 24 hrs a day. I say make that the norm for everyone. Get out for an hour a day to shower, make phone calls, and even get some rec...but of course, that rec should be in a small area as well.

Cruel, mean, harsh? You bet, but I'd bet people would think twice before doing another crime.

I would agree with this for the noinviolent criminals.

As to those in prison for murder, rape, that sort of thing, I must ask the age old question:

When was the last time a criminal escaped from, was paroled from, got furlough from, or complained about the conditions of a cemetery?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would agree with this for the noinviolent criminals.

As to those in prison for murder, rape, that sort of thing, I must ask the age old question:

When was the last time a criminal escaped from, was paroled from, got furlough from, or complained about the conditions of a cemetery?

Well, if you're talking about the death penalty...well, we all know how that goes. Commit the crime, wait years for your trial, finally have your trial, get sentenced to death, sit on death row for year after year after year, filing appeal after appeal after appeal.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
so cut out the appeal process.
Or at least cut it back

Oh I agree that its out of control. But all of the watchdogs, such as the ACLU will be all over that.

As far as this case goes though...I think it'd be interesting to see the outcome. IMHO, starving someone is not feeding them at all. This guy was getting fed...just not the amount he was used to.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ya know...this is one post I agree with 110%!!!!! I think its out in AZ, but isn't there a Sheriff somewhere that runs a prison where all the inmates live in tents outside, wear the old school blakc/white stripe outfit or IIRC sometimes its pink, to humble them a bit?

I drive down the highway and see garbage all over the side of the road. Why not bring back the chain gangs and have them give something back to the community by cleaning it up.

Usually only the worst of the worst get locked up for 23 out of 24 hrs a day. I say make that the norm for everyone. Get out for an hour a day to shower, make phone calls, and even get some rec...but of course, that rec should be in a small area as well.

Cruel, mean, harsh? You bet, but I'd bet people would think twice before doing another crime.

I believe you are referring to Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Maricopa County. There is plenty of material available on him for review.

Actually, some "community service" sentences today involve picking up trash, and this is a good thing... but I think model Naomi Campbell drew such a sentence in NYC but showed up in high fashion clothes every day... kind of made a mockery of it.

Solitary confinement for all crimes would never survive court challenge.... and it would likely result in many more injuries to prison guards.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe you are referring to Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Maricopa County. There is plenty of material available on him for review.

Yes, thats him.

Actually, some "community service" sentences today involve picking up trash, and this is a good thing... but I think model Naomi Campbell drew such a sentence in NYC but showed up in high fashion clothes every day... kind of made a mockery of it.

Too good for something like that I guess. But, in any case, I suppose it doesn't matter how they show up dressed, as long as they live up to their end of the service.

Solitary confinement for all crimes would never survive court challenge.... and it would likely result in many more injuries to prison guards.

Yes, it most likely would not happen excpet for the worst case scenarios. As for being assaulted....the ones who do spend 23 out of 24 hrs locked up are usually handcuffed as well as leg chains, with a minimum of 2 guards, so that cuts down on the risk a bit. :)

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
so cut out the appeal process.
Or at least cut it back

Yeah, while we're at it, why not just cut out the whole trial process? They're all obviously guilty anyway, right?

While we're all sitting here on an internet forum pretending we know how easy a life it is inside a modern prison, when was the last time you heard an ex-con say they enjoyed their time in the slammer, or that they wouldn't mind at all going back? Last time I checked, which I'll admit consists of only reading Pete Earley's "The Hot House: Life Inside Leavenworth Prison" and speaking to a recently exonerated murder convict, IT STILL SUCKS IN PRISON; it is still, not in fact, the day spa that conservatives such as yourself think they've become.

Additionally, I would propose that conditions in prison aren't going to affect crime rates because most criminals don't think they're going to end up there anyway.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, while we're at it, why not just cut out the whole trial process? They're all obviously guilty anyway, right?

While we're all sitting here on an internet forum pretending we know how easy a life it is inside a modern prison, when was the last time you heard an ex-con say they enjoyed their time in the slammer, or that they wouldn't mind at all going back? Last time I checked, which I'll admit consists of only reading Pete Earley's "The Hot House: Life Inside Leavenworth Prison" and speaking to a recently exonerated murder convict, IT STILL SUCKS IN PRISON; it is still, not in fact, the day spa that conservatives such as yourself think they've become.

Additionally, I would propose that conditions in prison aren't going to affect crime rates because most criminals don't think they're going to end up there anyway.

With all due respect, I beg to differ on a few points. I worked in a prison, I have a few friends who work in the prison system, so I think I'm qualified to comment on the system here in CT. :)

I worked the 4-12 shift. A headcount was done at 4. When the count cleared, meaning that everyone was accounted for, the dinner process began. They came out of their cells and into the dayroom, where they ate. Once they were done, they were locked back up while the cleanup process was going on. At 6pm they were allowed out of their cells and did not have to lock back up until 10pm. During this time, they had the following options:

phone calls
watch tv
showers
visits
play board games
rec, either indoor if it was bad weather or outdoor if it was nice
a wide assortment of programs they could attend such as AA, drug programs, Bible study, to name a few. Additionally the following:

medical treatment including dental
the ability to get a job in the prison
laundry done
ability to purchase things from the prison store in addition to their 3 square meals a day
ability to have a tv in their cell
ability to have a radio in their cell
access to weight machines

So, granted, they were still 'locked' up so to speak, they still had 4 hrs of free time. I saw a number of repeat offenders. I'd talk with some of them, and they'd tell me that they were getting out at the end of the week. There was more than one time when a short time later, I'd see the same person back again. To me, if they really didn't like it that much, they'd watch what they did once they got out. I also had a number of people state that they wouldn't think twice about assaulting staff. If you were really interested in doing your time and getting out, you wouldn't be saying stuff like that.

That being said...while it may 'suck' don't be fooled. Its not as harsh as some may think.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I havnt been to prison myself, but I have more than a few close relatives that have. My aunt did less than 10 years, for MURDER.

She had her own tv in her cell, pictures on the walls, a handmade bedspread, and conjugal visits. When she got out, she got a CHECK for crying out loud for the money she EARNED IN PRISON

pffft

Yeah, prison is horrible......................for the guards.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A friend of mine who got out of prison told me, that HE thought there were too many privileges in prison, but, without them, you'd have to work the inmates to exhaustion or they'd use all their free time thinking of ways to kill the guards and each other.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a point there...pushing anyone too hard isn't necessarily a good idea, even if you feel it's deserved. There are practical concerns too.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The fat guy in the article is only 20. Yeah, he got fat pretty quick...

Latest Discussions