Loaf in prison: Cruel or unusual punishment?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While eating a slice of my wholesome banana bread this morning (made with whole wheat flour, bananas, Splenda, egg beaters, vanilla, half the oil of the usual recipe, etc), I thought of how I had made an entire loaf of it.

Upon thinking about that, I remembered how various prisons would serve a modified version of this recipe (heh) to their badly behaving prisoners. Some people call it cruel and / or unusual punishment, but do they really have a legitimate beef about it?

I personally don't think so. It looks like "loaf" has all of the nutrients and calories needed to sustain our badly behaving prisoners. If it tastes like bland bread, what are they complaining about?

Furthermore, why are people the likes of Jennifer Wynn being so overly sensitive?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/750232/posts

The Eighth Amendment to our Constitution says even if we've broken the law, our government can't inflict cruel and unusual punishment on us. Some prisoners say that's exactly what's going on when they're given "the loaf."

"The loaf" is bread with milk, carrots and potatoes added for nutrition, so it's a full meal. At some prisons, inmates who keep misbehaving get the loaf with water and raw cabbage, instead of regular prison food.

But now prisoners are suing the prison system, claiming the loaf is cruel — "causing pain and suffering." For that and other injustices, they want millions of dollars in damages.

Some prison-reform advocates, like Jennifer Wynn of the Correctional Association, author of Inside Rikers, agree with the suits.

Wynn said the prisoners who throw their feces are mentally ill and should get counseling.

The prison guards laugh at Wynn's suggestion.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the law is cruel AND unusual punishment. There is nothing unusual about it, and as far as cruel, well they are still getting the daily amount of calories and nutrients as required by law. There is NO law that I am aware of that states how those are to be administered. You only get put on "food loaf" for messing up and earning punishment. At our facility you usually earn food loaf for throwing your food at a deputy or something along those lines. It also has to be approved by a shift supervisor and the situation fits the punishment. Not sure what other places do.

Again, you can try and sue for anything. When I was down in Indiana there was a guy who sued the prison system because he didn't get raisins in his pudding and others did and they wouldn't give him new pudding.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I don't know why they're complaining. Its not like the regular meals that they get come from a 5 star restaurant. Pain and suffering...hmm...I wonder if they complain because they don't have a soft cushy bed either.

Bottom line...don't do the crime if you can't do the time! Prison is a place you go when you do something wrong, its not Club Med.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While eating a slice of my wholesome banana bread this morning (made with whole wheat flour, bananas, Splenda, egg beaters, vanilla, half the oil of the usual recipe, etc), I thought of how I had made an entire loaf of it.

Upon thinking about that, I remembered how various prisons would serve a modified version of this recipe (heh) to their badly behaving prisoners. Some people call it cruel and / or unusual punishment, but do they really have a legitimate beef about it?

I personally don't think so. It looks like "loaf" has all of the nutrients and calories needed to sustain our badly behaving prisoners. If it tastes like bland bread, what are they complaining about?

Furthermore, why are people the likes of Jennifer Wynn being so overly sensitive?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/750232/posts
The loaf is for people that throw food at the guards. If they weren't throwing food they would be able to eat normaly. Nothing that cruel about the loaf, considering the offenses that got it made.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I don't know why they're complaining. Its not like the regular meals that they get come from a 5 star restaurant. Pain and suffering...hmm...I wonder if they complain because they don't have a soft cushy bed either.

Bottom line...don't do the crime if you can't do the time! Prison is a place you go when you do something wrong, its not Club Med.
We still have to look at how we treat our fellow human beings, but in this case you are right.
Sean

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're in jail... you're clean, fed, warm, clothed... unless there's something in that loaf that you're allergic to, get over it - it's not like you're at a resort or something.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're in jail... you're clean, fed, warm, clothed... unless there's something in that loaf that you're allergic to, get over it - it's not like you're at a resort or something.

Exactly!!!! My version of cruel and unusual punsihment and their version are 2 very different things. I highly doubt that any meals that are served are fantastic, but I'm also pretty sure that the food that is offered is approved by the state.

As I said in another post, I also understand that we still have to, by law, treat inmates like humans, but I don't see anything wrong with this 'loaf.' Its not like they're withholding any food at all, and if I'm reading right, they only get it when they screw up, so...

And as for Jennifer...well, I wonder if shes ever set foot in a prison. I have and I am sure that the guys that throw urine and other things at the staff are not all mentally ill...they're just dirtbag criminals that have no remorse for anyone or for their actions. As for counseling...please...those guys don't want help...they want a few hours out of their cells.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"The loaf" is bread with milk, carrots and potatoes added for nutrition, so it's a full meal. At some prisons, inmates who keep misbehaving get the loaf with water and raw cabbage, instead of regular prison food.
That doesn't sound half bad. Add a few spices to that, and tack on a celebrity chef, give it a fancy name, and you've got yourself a food trend.

They already do that with "Sweetbreads" which is really just the glands and less desirable parts of an animal. That's put into a loaf, pan-fried, and served in tiny increments for $20 a plate in some restaurants.

"Vegetarian Sweetbread"?? I think we have a winner. MT can pitch the idea to the Food Network:

Prison Posh- Making Your Stay As Tasty As Possible.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly!!!! My version of cruel and unusual punsihment and their version are 2 very different things. I highly doubt that any meals that are served are fantastic, but I'm also pretty sure that the food that is offered is approved by the state.

As I said in another post, I also understand that we still have to, by law, treat inmates like humans, but I don't see anything wrong with this 'loaf.' Its not like they're withholding any food at all, and if I'm reading right, they only get it when they screw up, so...

And as for Jennifer...well, I wonder if shes ever set foot in a prison. I have and I am sure that the guys that throw urine and other things at the staff are not all mentally ill...they're just dirtbag criminals that have no remorse for anyone or for their actions. As for counseling...please...those guys don't want help...they want a few hours out of their cells.
Actually the prisons are full of mentaly ill people.
sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually the prisons are full of mentaly ill people.
sean

Yes, I understand that. However, let me clarify. In my post I stated the following:

"I have and I am sure that the guys that throw urine and other things at the staff are not all mentally ill."

I fully understand that there are mentally ill inmates. But, the throwing of urine and crap at the COs is not limited to mentally ill inmates. Like I said, I have to wonder just how much Jen knows about the ins and outs of a prison. Suggesting treatment is the first straw that folks like her usually grasp at. What those people usually fail to understand is the fact that treatment is an option that doesnt always work due to the fact that you cant force the inmate to reform if they don't have any desire to.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I understand that. However, let me clarify. In my post I stated the following:

"I have and I am sure that the guys that throw urine and other things at the staff are not all mentally ill."

I fully understand that there are mentally ill inmates. But, the throwing of urine and crap at the COs is not limited to mentally ill inmates. Like I said, I have to wonder just how much Jen knows about the ins and outs of a prison. Suggesting treatment is the first straw that folks like her usually grasp at. What those people usually fail to understand is the fact that treatment is an option that doesnt always work due to the fact that you cant force the inmate to reform if they don't have any desire to.
Not to mention some mentaly ill people have good upbringings and some were neglected by their mentaly ill parent or parents. By the time they make it to adulthood the system has to work with what they are presented with.
Sean

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who cares what the inmates eat, let em' eat sh** sandwiches for all I care. I worked in the prison system as a C.O. and let me tell ya the cooks put anything and everything in the food (and I mean everything if you know what I mean, ie; pee & ejaculate). We C.O.'s had to eat the same food as them or bring our own. I brought my own food. Hell, if the inmates won't eat it I'm sure not going to.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who cares what the inmates eat, let em' eat sh** sandwiches for all I care. I worked in the prison system as a C.O. and let me tell ya the cooks put anything and everything in the food (and I mean everything if you know what I mean, ie; pee & ejaculate). We C.O.'s had to eat the same food as them or bring our own. I brought my own food. Hell, if the inmates won't eat it I'm sure not going to.
Good thing you are no longer involved.
Sean

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good thing you are no longer involved.
Sean

Why is that? You think I'm to hard on these scum bags? All these inmates have to do is think all day long how they can make my day even worse and how they can get away with things. They broke the law to get there so IMO they have no rights. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably wouldn't be pleasant to eat only this stuff on a regular basis. But I'll but you could make some awesome sammiches with it. :p

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure the inmates could make something out of it. They make something called jack mac out of canned mackeral and mac n' cheese and sometimes raemon noodles. It's totally gross

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Actually, there are tons of people in prison currently who never committed the crimes for which they were convicted.

On top of that, MOST of the people in prison are in there for comitting victimless crimes.]

*** On top of it, most of the prison guards are un-educated, violent morons who aren't much different from the prisoners they contain ***

Our prison system is really, really, stupid.

Latest Discussions