Loaf in prison: Cruel or unusual punishment?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is that? You think I'm to hard on these scum bags? All these inmates have to do is think all day long how they can make my day even worse and how they can get away with things. They broke the law to get there so IMO they have no rights. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
Actually they do have rights... human rights.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, there are tons of people in prison currently who never committed the crimes for which they were convicted.

On top of that, MOST of the people in prison are in there for comitting victimless crimes.]

*** On top of it, most of the prison guards are un-educated, violent morons who aren't much different from the prisoners they contain ***

Our prison system is really, really, stupid.
If nothing else it is a vicious circle.
Sean

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, there are tons of people in prison currently who never committed the crimes for which they were convicted.

On top of that, MOST of the people in prison are in there for comitting victimless crimes.]

*** On top of it, most of the prison guards are un-educated, violent morons who aren't much different from the prisoners they contain ***

Painting a picture of prisons guards with such a broad brush is just as dangerous as doing the same with inmates. While I will grant you that there are some really deplorable people in guard positions, I also have to believe that they fall into the 10% category of most professions. We have more than one member here on the board that are in charge of inmates in one form or another. I haven't noticed any of them being "uneducated, violent morons".

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares what the inmates eat, let em' eat sh** sandwiches for all I care. I worked in the prison system as a C.O. and let me tell ya the cooks put anything and everything in the food (and I mean everything if you know what I mean, ie; pee & ejaculate).

The kitchen where I worked was supervised by a CO. I never had the job of working in the kitchen, but it wouldn't surprise me if something didn't get 'added' into the meal.

We C.O.'s had to eat the same food as them or bring our own. I brought my own food. Hell, if the inmates won't eat it I'm sure not going to.

I, as well as everyone else that I worked with brought their meals. There were a few times when I was held over, that I was offered a sandwich, however, I declined and hit the vending machine.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

True. There was a guy in CT a while back that was actually awarded money due to the fact that he spent many years behind bars only to be found innocent.

On top of that, MOST of the people in prison are in there for comitting victimless crimes.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that.

There is no need to take shots like this, despite your real feelings. There are some here that do the same towards LEOs and personally, comments like that have no place on here.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

And this excuses the behavior described in the OP... how? If I were unlucky enough to be placed in jail or prison for a crime I did not commit, does that mean that I can throw food and urine at those employed there?

On top of that, MOST of the people in prison are in there for comitting victimless crimes.

Again... this excuses the behavior described in the OP... how? I understand what you mean when you say "victimless" crime - but I disagree with the term and its usage. Simply because no one was physically injured, or because the crime was perpetrated upon large numbers of people (as in embezzlement from a company) does not mean there is no "victim" - it means that the effects are spread among a larger number of people, who must all suffer therefrom. We all pay higher prices to cover the cost of shoplifting - thus we are all victims of this type of crime. Everyone who does business with a particular company becomes a victim when the company loses money, or goes under, because of embezzlement. Price gouging and fixing is illegal - but again, the victims are widespread and many in this "victimless" crime. Should these people go unpunished?

Now... whether or not these people should be in jail, and systems for potential alternative punishments is a topic for another thread.

And you base this on... what? Personal experience? Media reporting? This is a very stereotypical view - and like most stereotypes, if you cannot back it up with fact, it's liable to lead you into trouble in the future.

The prison system itself is not stupid; after all, it is not the prisons which determine who is placed there. The legal system is due for overhaul, like much of our governmental system - if you must place blame somewhere, the judiciary is a better target. So... other than blaming the prisons and prison employees, what are you doing to better the situation? What better suggestions do you have for people who waste food in an immature manner than to provide them with food that is less interesting to eat and easier to clean up?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Define "tons." Yes, there are definitely people in prison who didn't commit the crime they were convicted of. That's not the same as saying they're innocent; I've seen people plea bargain to offenses that were all but unrelated to the original offense (grand larceny to trespass, for example). They weren't innocent; I watched them steal the stuff.

There are fewer people who are truly innocent but get convicted or just plead on bad advice. It's not easy to do in the US legal system, however.

Please, define a "victimless crime." I take great exception to that description of offenses. Who's the victim in prostitution? Often, the prostitute, and the john's family, too. Who's the victim in drug possession? Everyone effected by it, except the dealer.

I take great exception to your description of correctional officers. Most that I know are trained professionals, working in one of the most demanding environments possible. In practical terms, EVERYONE they deal with is a criminal, and the COs are unarmed while they deal with them -- and very outnumbered. By people who often have nothing to do all day but come up with ways to screw with the COs. The days of the guard being barely one step above the inmate are long gone.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are fewer people who are truly innocent but get convicted or just plead on bad advice.

Yes, but it is important to remember that they're in prison too.

Please, define a "victimless crime."

Indeed. Our area is hard hit by property theft crimes (esp. metal theft) to pay for drugs, for example. Jaywalking on an empty street at midnight--OK, that's victimless. But most crimes exact a cost from society. Jaywalk in the middle of the day and risk causing a pile-up of cars trying to avoid you.

I take great exception to your description of correctional officers. Most that I know are trained professionals, working in one of the most demanding environments possible. In practical terms, EVERYONE they deal with is a criminal, and the COs are unarmed while they deal with them -- and very outnumbered. By people who often have nothing to do all day but come up with ways to screw with the COs.

I think this is true. But I'm also sure there are plenty of COs (and LEOs) for whom familiarity has bred contempt. Again, I think we must keep that in mind while remembering it's the exception, not the rule.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please, define a "victimless crime."

Drinking quietly in public. If you are doing somthing stupid or being a rowdy *******, then no, but many places just consuming in public is a crime.

A car dealership selling a car on Sunday. Who's the Victim? God?

Carrying a switchblade. If its ok to carry any other assisted opener, why is the act of carrying a switchblade a crime? No Victim in that crime, unless you use it on a person.

Carrying car entry tools. If you have them to help people who request it, who is the victim, just because you HAVE them?

Consentual Oral/Anal sex. Hey... theres laws on the books against it some places...

There ARE plenty of "victimless" crimes... mostly things that we make Criminal out of fear that someone MIGHT commit a crime if they had access to it/did it or because someone at sometime found it to be morally abiguous. I'm certainly not arguing the prisons are full of these people, only that they exist.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
True, Cryo, there are many crimes that are truly 'victimless'. However, these laws are mostly ones that people are not sent to jail for breaking. Charges for 'Victimless' crimes are added to the package of charges to help force a plea agreement, add mitigating circumstances to increase the allowed jail time in sentencing guidelines, or just because they are easier to prove than the 'real' reason the person was arrested.

For a good example, according to the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ, or the 'law book' that governs all military members), it is a court-martialable offense for an officer to commit adultery. While I personally think adultery can wreak havoc in a home (i.e., it isn't really 'victimless'), most folks would consider adultery between consenting adults to be in the category of a 'victimless crime'. Last time I checked, about 20 or so officers were prosecuted under this statute per year. However, in each case, the charge was not as a stand-alone offense, but usually coupled with charges of rape or sexual assault (charges usually harder to prove beyond reasonable doubt, with only the physical evidence and the vicitm's testimony that the action was not consentual).

lemon_meringue

Green Belt
Reaction score
"The loaf" is bread with milk, carrots and potatoes added for nutrition, so it's a full meal. At some prisons, inmates who keep misbehaving get the loaf with water and raw cabbage, instead of regular prison food.

But now prisoners are suing the prison system, claiming the loaf is cruel — "causing pain and suffering." For that and other injustices, they want millions of dollars in damages.

Ironic that the world's starving would most likely be willing to commit various crimes just to get some of that loaf and live for another day...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, Cryo, there are many crimes that are truly 'victimless'. However, these laws are mostly ones that people are not sent to jail for breaking.

Oh I agree, which is why I said that I wouldnt argue that the prisons are full of those people. I only wanted to point out that they exist.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nationally the average is:
70% of all adult incarcerated men are seriously mentally ill.

Your Brother
John
And wouldn't it be better to reach them as children than try to correct them as adults. This is the root of the prison system being our largest GOP. France won't even let you name your kid. You are provided a list to pick from.This is a little over the top but you get the point.
Sean

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score

oh no you did not...............

how many sweeping generalzations can fit in one post? THAT many...

do you realize how many you just insulted with that post?

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nationally the average is:
70% of all adult incarcerated men are seriously mentally ill.

Your Brother
John

And what country is this in? It certainly isn't the U.S.. I worked in the prison system for a few years and I never saw any mentally ill people. I saw plenty of hep C and drug addicts but no mentally ill.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And wouldn't it be better to reach them as children than try to correct them as adults. Sean

Of course, and that starts at home. Of course, if the parents can't raise their kids right, refuse to get them help, admit theres a problem, or if the kid doesn't accept the help, well.....

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hmmm, I guess I would like you to define "victimless" here. I have sat in literally hundreds of sentencings and I have never seen someone go to prison here in our county for something with no victim.

Latest Discussions