Looking for a 'power' martial art

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like another Kyokushin offshoot with head contact and grappling added in.

Yeah pretty much.

But that to me would be a selling point.

Its like kyokushin but with face punching and grappling.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
wouldn't that make this style of karate more suitable for the cage ????? in which case then it's geared more towards total combat rather than SD --- still looks like good fun but the protection really does need to go - it's just plain wrong to me :)

OP
M

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, I think I'm going to go for boxing in the end.

Shotokan is pretty ***** from what I've heard locally about it, the class not the style.

Enshin seems good, one problem. It had a picture on their FB page saying 'Old Days' and had some guys, they weren't too muscly and not too skinny or large, maybe in their 30s at the latest. Then you had like 4 guys commenting on how lean they were then compared to now. In a physical style like that, if that is considered incredibly lean in comparison. Yeah, I think boxing may be the better choice.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
wouldn't that make this style of karate more suitable for the cage ????? in which case then it's geared more towards total combat rather than SD --- still looks like good fun but the protection really does need to go - it's just plain wrong to me :)

See I am a fan of the mma light competitions. It allows more scope for people to do it. If someone wanted to test out their tma.that would be the sort of competition to do it in.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i understand where you're coming from :) i like total combat but that might just be because of the way i had to bring myself up --- i fought for everything that needed and still do :)

can understand the "light" if you got an office job and need to look respectable the next day so yup the protection in that instance gives you the best of both worlds :)

the boxing route that the OP is considering will not only give him some new SD skills but the circuit training that goes with it will bulk himi out and give him the stamina that goes with it --- as well as plenty of muscles and a six pack to be proud of ;)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey there everyone.

I haven't posted for a few weeks, but I'm still here. I'm still studying this 'new eclectic' style of Jujitsu which seems to combine Traditional Jujitsu, Judo and Aikido. Regardless of what it is, the fact remains that we don't train in any actual striking. We do Locks, Throws, Takedowns, etc, but no strikes. Actually, on that note, does your school/sensei teach techniques as individual techniques? We train techniques by our sensei telling us a combo to use, and I think that training in individual techniques would be more beneficial before going into combinations/we could make the combinations ourselves.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. I'd like a martial art that revolves more around power. No real reason, I'd just like to hit something/be able to hit something properly instead of waiting a few seconds for them to attack so I can counter.
Of these, I can only really learn Karate (Shotokan and Enshin) and Boxing. Boxing sounds very appealing to me, but I've got my own reasons for wanting to try karate.

One question. Does karate have a lot of techniques which aren't basic strikes (Punch, Kick, Elbow, Knee). I don't mean 'Flying Scissor Kicks', I mean actual techniques.

I know this is sort-of fantasy from an anime, but: Mutenkendoku-Style Karate - History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi Wiki

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
See. It still revolves around strikes, but uses them in more than a simple strike fashion. Is karate actually like this?

Thanks.

In Karate, you do learn techniques beyond the basic strikes but usually you don't learn them until you get more advanced. The basic strikes are the most effective techniques you learn and the first techniques you learn. Most of what you use in Karate you will learn in your first few weeks. As you progress you learn to use the basic strikes in combinations, at more advanced levels you learn more complicated combinations. You also do learn more advanced striking techniques but those are mostly for show, not for actual fighting.

OP
M

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i understand where you're coming from :) i like total combat but that might just be because of the way i had to bring myself up --- i fought for everything that needed and still do :)

can understand the "light" if you got an office job and need to look respectable the next day so yup the protection in that instance gives you the best of both worlds :)

the boxing route that the OP is considering will not only give him some new SD skills but the circuit training that goes with it will bulk himi out and give him the stamina that goes with it --- as well as plenty of muscles and a six pack to be proud of ;)

Yeah, Bulking out is one of the main reasons I want to do a full contact MA.

I am not a very confident person at all, and I think that bulking out will definitely help that. I'm also known as a bit of a weakling so I really want to be able to beat people if that what it comes to, and some people will call B.S on everything apart from MMA, Boxing and Muscle. I also don't consider myself attractive, especially considering my height and reluctant personality, so being confident and well built should really help.

Finally, in relation to boxing, I realized that we do not sparring at my age group for Jujutsu, so I would want full contact sparring, and that is guaranteed with boxing.

In addition, I enjoy combat. I like physical sports like Rugby, not the pain aspect, I just like the primal feeling of tackling somebody hard. Sadly, I can't actually tackle any people hard. I am a fan of rugby, but I'm not strong at all really, not heavy, not tall and although I'm quite quick, it's nowhere near enough considering my other deficiencies. I am liking how my shoulders are coming along with my hard gym work, so yeah, I think a combination of Boxing and Grappling will be very nice.

Actually, one final thing. What do you think I am lacking in a SD scenario considering I do full grappling with no striking and boxing. The only things I can think of are kicks and groundwork, groundwork can be improvised on and I think I'd still be better than others due to my other skills on the ground unless they did MA too, and I know kick defense. Kicks aren't necessary when you have the punch of a boxer, I believe. What do you think?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am not a very confident person at all, and I think that bulking out will definitely help that. I'm also known as a bit of a weakling so I really want to be able to beat people if that what it comes to, and some people will call B.S on everything apart from MMA, Boxing and Muscle. I also don't consider myself attractive, especially considering my height and reluctant personality, so being confident and well built should really help.

Finally, in relation to boxing, I realized that we do not sparring at my age group for Jujutsu, so I would want full contact sparring, and that is guaranteed with boxing.

In addition, I enjoy combat. I like physical sports like Rugby, not the pain aspect, I just like the primal feeling of tackling somebody hard. Sadly, I can't actually tackle any people hard. I am a fan of rugby, but I'm not strong at all really, not heavy, not tall and although I'm quite quick, it's nowhere near enough considering my other deficiencies. I am liking how my shoulders are coming along with my hard gym work, so yeah, I think a combination of Boxing and Grappling will be very nice.

Actually, one final thing. What do you think I am lacking in a SD scenario considering I do full grappling with no striking and boxing. The only things I can think of are kicks and groundwork, groundwork can be improvised on and I think I'd still be better than others due to my other skills on the ground unless they did MA too, and I know kick defense. Kicks aren't necessary when you have the punch of a boxer, I believe. What do you think?

Just enjoy the boxing. And stay out of fights.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks. Trust me though, I very much doubt I will be the kind of guy to get into fights, regardless of how much I may or may not change.

Its over rated. I know plenty of people who have lived healthy and happy lives who have never been in a fight.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
save your fighting for the ring or else you'll just get a bad rep -- doesn't hurt in some circles though ;)

the boxing will not only bulk you up and give you some muscles it's a mental thing too - it's all about how you see yourself - transformations and body changes happen slowly and over time too - you prolly won't notice too much to start with but as you get into it you'll feel the difference :)

the other things to look out for -- i use a lot of creatine (tablets), and pre-workout and post workout muscle builders too. some people like me swear by them other people just say let it happen naturally.

above all though you will have fun - we were all at your stage once and provided that you go there to work hard and sweat loads then you will never get laughed at :) --- if you don't work hard and are not seen to be taking training seriously then you'll get asked to go elsewhere :(

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Being physically capable can help with confidence, but keep in mind, it can't be the main foundation. You need to believe in yourself regardless of how much muscle you have. If all your confidence in life comes from physical confidence, the results won't be good.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If all you're focused on is ring fighting, you aren't remotely geared toward 'total combat'.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Shotokan is pretty ***** from what I've heard locally about it, the class not the style.

Enshin seems good, one problem. It had a picture on their FB page saying 'Old Days' and had some guys, they weren't too muscly and not too skinny or large, maybe in their 30s at the latest. Then you had like 4 guys commenting on how lean they were then compared to now. In a physical style like that, if that is considered incredibly lean in comparison. Yeah, I think boxing may be the better choice.
'Leanness' and 'musclelyness' are functions of workout not style. Boxing tends to force that kind of workout on people because they are sport competition focused. Anybody can workout that way.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quit going solely by rumors and websites. Get off your butt, go in, and look at the schools. Visit a class, see the way they practice and teach, and see if it's looking for. I could tell you that the Enshin school I know of is just kiddie day care in pajamas -- but that doesn't say a thing about the one your looking at. Shotokan is where "karate" started... (Oversimplifying the history, feel free to look it up to get it in detail, but accurate enough for my purposes.)

Until you've checked them out for yourself, you're working in a vacuum. How can you make a valid decision that way?

Blade~

White Belt
Reaction score
I have only studied Kykoshin Karate for a short time but it is regarded as the 'strongest' karate. They hit HARD.