Counting, attention, stop

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because we sometimes use terms from our own system when we discuss things I would like you to tell others not in your system/style what the numbers 1-10 are and how you say stop, attention and any other command that be given in your school. In truth we only need perhaps one or two posts from each of the countries represented in the different styles ( Chinese, Japanese, etc.)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
muay thai :)

(1) left jab
(2) left jab plus straight right
(3) left jab, straight right plus left hook
(4) straight right plus left hook
(5) left jab, straight right, left hook, right abdominal kick
(6) right hook, right head kick
(7) left jab, left low kick
(8) left jab, right uppercut, left hook, left jab, cross right, left head kick

there are a load more but can't remember off the top of my head at the mo :(

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because we sometimes use terms from our own system when we discuss things I would like you to tell others not in your system/style what the numbers 1-10 are and how you say stop, attention and any other command that be given in your school. In truth we only need perhaps one or two posts from each of the countries represented in the different styles ( Chinese, Japanese, etc.)

We generally just use English...

A "drill" is generally an exercise where you practice a technique or combination of techniques. A "routine" is a catalog or index of techniques. (Though we do sometimes interchange them...) So... the Punching Routine contains 9 punches; we might do a punching drill where we practice straight punch/rising punch.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
these days it 1, 2, 3, 4......stop

My first sifu however was 一 二 三 四.... one more time...you know I can never remember him saying stop....and from my experience with at least 4 different martial arts teachers that were Chinese and a wife that is Chinese...when they are making you work....stop is not part of the vocabulary...it is always "one more time"

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even my teacher who didn't speak any English, when he taught my class, he would say, "one, two." His "one, two" was back to back with less than 1/4 second in between. In other words, his "one, two" was almost one single move. That was the way he wanted my students to train speed. Your 1st attack and your 2nd attack are back to back without any time delay. The moment that your leg has twisted on one of your opponent's legs, the moment that you attack his other leg.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We are mostly, one, two, but, we have a number of non English speakers, so we get Otro Ves... Translates as another look, in use as One more time

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

For the most part we use English. Why? Because that is the language we speak. Usually when doing a specific move; a right front kick for example, and everyone is going to kick a the same time, we say 'Rrreaadddyyy - Go, Rrreaadddyyy - Go, for as many times we are kicking 50, 100, 200,... When doing partner drills like punch-kick combinations when the time period is up the instructor simple shouts out 'Time!' and everyone stops and shows respect to their partner, turns and listens for the next instructions. When an instructor needs everyone to stop and pay attention we say 'Time, Listen here' with teens and adults. With the youth classes the instructor will loudly clap their hands twice and say 'Lock it Up!' all students immediately take one step backward, stand at attention and respond with 'At Attention, Sir'

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My teacher dislikes the idea of counting and, instead, will use a series of action words: Move; Go; Move; Go...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not really sure what you are asking but for my karate classes everything is in Japanese. So counting is ichi, ni, san, chi, etc. Begin is hajame, stop is yame, etc. This way any of my students can train anywhere in the world that uses Japanese terminology even if English is not the spoken language.
:asian:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We speak English, for the most part. But there is some basic Korean vocabulary.
Counting is either Il Ee Sam Sa Oh Yook Chil Pal Goo Sip (Forms, 1st 2nd 3rd...)) or Hana Dul Set Net Dasut Yasut Ilgop Yadul Ahop Yol (Counting repetitious techniques).
Begin is Shijak, stop is Kooman.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Arigato = Thank You
Onegai shimasu = Please help (teach) me
Rei = Bow
Otagai ni rei = Bow to each other
Sempai ni rei = Bow to assistant instructor
Sensei ni rei = Bow to instructor
shido ni rei = Bow to instructors
Shomen ni rei = Bow to front
(in that order)
Yame = Stop
Yasume = Attention (at ease)
Kiotsuke = Attention
Kumite = Fighting
Kiso-Kumite = Pre-Arranged Fighting
In my class i usually get to fill the role of Sempai helping other students when they need it or the instructor is busy with others and cannot

Latest Discussions