Looking for a 'power' martial art

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey there everyone.

I haven't posted for a few weeks, but I'm still here. I'm still studying this 'new eclectic' style of Jujitsu which seems to combine Traditional Jujitsu, Judo and Aikido. Regardless of what it is, the fact remains that we don't train in any actual striking. We do Locks, Throws, Takedowns, etc, but no strikes. Actually, on that note, does your school/sensei teach techniques as individual techniques? We train techniques by our sensei telling us a combo to use, and I think that training in individual techniques would be more beneficial before going into combinations/we could make the combinations ourselves.

Anyway, back to the question at hand. I'd like a martial art that revolves more around power. No real reason, I'd just like to hit something/be able to hit something properly instead of waiting a few seconds for them to attack so I can counter.
Of these, I can only really learn Karate (Shotokan and Enshin) and Boxing. Boxing sounds very appealing to me, but I've got my own reasons for wanting to try karate.

One question. Does karate have a lot of techniques which aren't basic strikes (Punch, Kick, Elbow, Knee). I don't mean 'Flying Scissor Kicks', I mean actual techniques.

I know this is sort-of fantasy from an anime, but: Mutenkendoku-Style Karate - History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi Wiki

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
See. It still revolves around strikes, but uses them in more than a simple strike fashion. Is karate actually like this?

Thanks.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both Enshin and Shotokan karate are hard systems, which means that they'll have a lot of power in their striking. Karate generally includes several hand techniques including elbows, sword hands, and so on. Beyond that -- I'm not sure what you mean by "techniques that aren't basic."

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your looking for s hard style and you only have this 3 styles in your area then honestly they are all good. Try classes at each and see what fits you best and who you click with. I've gone to some schools and just didn't fit me. One BJJ school I went to had alot of less then moral guys and they kept talking about fighting cops. I left and went to one literally half mile away and they were great people same style just different people so give them all a shot and see

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Anyway, back to the question at hand. I'd like a martial art that revolves more around power. No real reason, I'd just like to hit something/be able to hit something properly instead of waiting a few seconds for them to attack so I can counter.
Of these, I can only really learn Karate (Shotokan and Enshin) and Boxing. Boxing sounds very appealing to me, but I've got my own reasons for wanting to try karate.

Xingyiquan.

Xingyiquan is aggressive, trains preemptive strikes and has the basic philosophy of " I AM going to hit you....HARD

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Some of my favorite Chinese arts that teach you to hit damn hard are Choy Li Fut, Baji Quan & Xing Yi. There's also allot of escrima and kali that teach you to hit hard and then the karate styles that compete in the sabaki tournaments (I believe kyoshkin karate is one) are pretty impressive.

This is of course if your looking for something other then kick boxing or MMA.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest a power art. If you like the style you are doing, you want to compliment it with speed of action. Your moves really only need to make an impression. By that I mean your moves, that you already know, will work a lot better for you if you break the guys nose with a quick back knuckle. :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
One question. Does karate have a lot of techniques which aren't basic strikes (Punch, Kick, Elbow, Knee). I don't mean 'Flying Scissor Kicks', I mean actual techniques.

I know this is sort-of fantasy from an anime, but: Mutenkendoku-Style Karate - History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi Wiki

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
See. It still revolves around strikes, but uses them in more than a simple strike fashion. Is karate actually like this?

Thanks.

Hello, I've studied goju karate for quite some time. A simple punch (uke), kick,(geri) or elbow (empi) those three techniques can be simple alone once you get more advanced you can use it for different reasons could be a strike could be a feint. And if something is simple and effective than it is easier to use which means at a. Higher skill level it will be more effective. There are some advanced moves but even if you use an advanced move you will still want to combo
Best of luck

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What techniques you learn besides the basic techniques for the art/style are going to depend on the teacher. For example, many TKD schools focus on the forms or the sparring; in mine we also get a bit of MMA striking and some judo techniques, in addition to stuff that has more traditional roots in Korea.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Powers great and everything , but if you've got to launch it from half a mile away to generate it , then it's not going to do you much good then is it?

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
looking at that muay thai video -- gotta say that it's a bit tame really ;)

for power - it depends on your coach cos power can be trained into your strikes - the more you do and the better your technique gets the more power you'll be able to impart into each move --- less effort = more damage which from your post is what you're looking for.

gotta say that the style of karate in the vid looks way cool --- it's almost enough for me to convert from muay thai ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
looking at that muay thai video -- gotta say that it's a bit tame really ;)

for power - it depends on your coach cos power can be trained into your strikes - the more you do and the better your technique gets the more power you'll be able to impart into each move --- less effort = more damage which from your post is what you're looking for.

gotta say that the style of karate in the vid looks way cool --- it's almost enough for me to convert from muay thai ;)

Look for Kudo. You can even fight people for gradings.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cIs1MS64Fe0

My coach is looking at it so he can do international competitions. You could pretty much go in and Thai box if you want and you will either clean house or get bashed. It is pretty much worked out on the mat.

Last edited:

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
that looks well wicked --- in fact to my eyes that looks like MMA in a nutshell

muay thai still rules though and most of those there could learn a few skills from being in a muay thai environment too....... hope your coach goes for it cos it looks like a lot of fun.

the only problem that i got with it is that everyone is wearing protection when sparring wtf is that all about ?????

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
that looks well wicked --- in fact to my eyes that looks like MMA in a nutshell

muay thai still rules though and most of those there could learn a few skills from being in a muay thai environment too....... hope your coach goes for it cos it looks like a lot of fun.

the only problem that i got with it is that everyone is wearing protection when sparring wtf is that all about ?????

No idea about the protection. Apparently getting punched in the head is fairly tame with that thing on.

But as a hobbiest who might want to go full contact that would be a more sensible choice.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You want to do muay Thai.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LVuC8Poidy0

Or a knockdown karate.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KF58_mpVOwU

Don't know much about enshin but looking at the videos seems maybe what you are after.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ems-o7XbowU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rUlPaAA0YQs

By the way fight prep before you do your black belt grading. Just saying.
Enshin karate is a derivative of Kyokushinkai Karate, as is Ashihara, World Oyama and a couple others. If you like that knockdown style of karate, those are some styles to look for.

and then the karate styles that compete in the sabaki tournaments (I believe kyoshkin karate is one) are pretty impressive.
The Sabaki tournament is an Enshin Karate thing, see above.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Look for Kudo. You can even fight people for gradings.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cIs1MS64Fe0

My coach is looking at it so he can do international competitions. You could pretty much go in and Thai box if you want and you will either clean house or get bashed. It is pretty much worked out on the mat.

Looks like another Kyokushin offshoot with head contact and grappling added in.

Latest Discussions