Looking for a 'power' martial art

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i fight both ring and cage - have also been involved in some underground stuff too. a cage or a ring is a safe environment to have a good scrap :) total combat - it's everything - in muay thai more or less anything goes, same with fighting in a cage so you train for every scenario you can think plus some others and you don't stop cos of a bit of blood either :)

i too also think that the OP needs to go and have a look at what's on offer too :) it'd give the OP a bit insight into what he's about to get involved with. until you've seen what's involved you can't make an informed decision.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted some on MT a while back....look

Hmmm...I guess you didn't read the whole post. I asked if anyone had "good" videos of xingyi quan application...

You also must not have seen "application," in the post...

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Has the OP ever been hit hard?

I ask because their own description of themself leads be to believe they do not have any or limited experience in any combat sports.

It might sound appealing in ones mind, but once individuals get their bell rung many have a change of mind.

Still unclear what the OP main objective is.....bulk up, full contact, SD, ???

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I took the OP to mean that he was looking to muscle up and bulk out ????? --- maybe i read it wrong but don't know.

i too don't think that he has any combat experience either --- think that he was looking at boxing cos it'd help him achieve that but it still takes time and i think that he would be expected to get in the ring as well though.............

being hit hard - very hard - goes with territory in boxing and muay thai and until you've taken a few really well palced hits then you can't say whether it's for you.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyway, back to the question at hand. I'd like a martial art that revolves more around power. No real reason, I'd just like to hit something/be able to hit something properly instead of waiting a few seconds for them to attack so I can counter.
Of these, I can only really learn Karate (Shotokan and Enshin) and Boxing. Boxing sounds very appealing to me, but I've got my own reasons for wanting to try karate.

Any of those three will do very nicely, when it comes to giving you a better background in striking. It's simply best to go to each school, and see if you like what is being taught. Observe, and then take a lesson (almost all places will let you take a lesson for free).

One question. Does karate have a lot of techniques which aren't basic strikes (Punch, Kick, Elbow, Knee). I don't mean 'Flying Scissor Kicks', I mean actual techniques.

It depends on the style of Karate, and equally as important, who is teaching it. Most Karate systems will teach quite a few techniques that aren't simple punches, such as palm heel strikes (shotei), ridge hand (haito), knife hand (shuto), spear hand (nukite), forearm strikes (kote), along with one knuckle strikes. They'll also teach you leg sweeps (ashi barai), and so forth.

(humor mode on)

See. It still revolves around strikes, but uses them in more than a simple strike fashion. Is karate actually like this?

Hold on, let me see...

(concentrates very hard)

Nope. I can't shoot fireballs out of my hands, and I can't create tornadoes out of thin air.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hold on, let me see...

(concentrates very hard)

Nope. I can't shoot fireballs out of my hands, and I can't create tornadoes out of thin air.

That's because you're not possessed by the right demons, according to another thread...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I took the OP to mean that he was looking to muscle up and bulk out ????? --- maybe i read it wrong but don't know.

i too don't think that he has any combat experience either --- think that he was looking at boxing cos it'd help him achieve that but it still takes time and i think that he would be expected to get in the ring as well though.............

being hit hard - very hard - goes with territory in boxing and muay thai and until you've taken a few really well palced hits then you can't say whether it's for you.

We trained a 55 year old for twelve weeks a he did a fight. Boxing and it was an exhibition but still.

Latest Discussions