Kajukenbo = Kenichi

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For anyone who has never heard of the animation 'Kenichi : History's Strongest Disciple', you can watch it here: Watch Kenichi The Mightiest Disciple Episode Episode 1 Online | English Dubbed-Subbed Episodes

It's very good, but I would say that you shouldn't watch it if you aren't interested in Anime/Don't read the thread if you haven't heard of it or aren't planning to watch it.

It's about a disciple of four masters: Karate, Jujutsu, Chinese Kempo and Muay Thai, and this boy's transcendence in the martial arts world. It's really very good, and although stylized, doesn't lack accuracy in the moves that are real (There are some that are made up, but all but a few are physically possible).

Since Kajukenbo is a combination of those four arts, scratch Boxing (Muay Thai, pretty damn similar if you ask me, especially considering Karate + Kenpo covers kicks/knees/elbows too).

Has anyone noticed this similarity before? Is it possible that Kenichi was crafted around this, or is it likely a coincidence?

Finally, do you think the concept is the same, or is Kenichi too far from reality to even compare the two? This style interests me not because of Kenichi, but because Kenichi has shown me that this combination leaves minimal gaps and there are so many techniques that you won't run out any time soon. I am also a passionate boxer and I take Jujutsu, so yeah... Do you think I should enjoy Kajukenbo?

Last edited:
OP
M

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Actually, **** the bit about me wanting to learn it. It appears to pride itself on it's SD aspects, like KM, but like KM, it also looks really boring.

Sure, I could spend all my time training to be a SD PRO! However, most people won't use these skills very often at all, so it's basically MMA but with solely SD in mind, no sport at all.

So it has no tradition, no spirituality, and no sport, solely SD. That sounds rather boring to me, especially since you have to learn to many techniques solely for SD. I'll stick to Boxing and Jujutsu, then expand at my own pace I think. Hell, maybe I won't, I love boxing. We'll see, I suppose.