Last Poster #7

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you suggest some of the newer products? I am not familiar.
None are totally without risk, of course; nothing is.
Good old aspirin is still a good choice, as is naproxen or ibuprofen.
As with any drug, you first need to consider any health issues you have or other meds you take.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
None are totally without risk, of course; nothing is.
Good old aspirin is still a good choice, as is naproxen or ibuprofen.
As with any drug, you first need to consider any health issues you have or other meds you take.
Ibuprofen is newer than Diclofenac? I thought they were essentially the same, both NSAIDs.
I do know if I take a high dose of Advil (say 800mg), my eyes get very blurry.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ibuprofen is newer than Diclofenac? I thought they were essentially the same, both NSAIDs.
It's older, but generally safer.
I do know if I take a high dose of Advil (say 800mg), my eyes get very blurry.
The largest dose recommended is 600mg, and that only for a relatively short time. There's too much renal risk with the 800mg dose.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The largest dose recommended is 600mg, and that only for a relatively short time. There's too much renal risk with the 800mg dose.
Any long term effects for Naproxen?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’d be advisable for everyone to seek medical advice from a medical doctor rather than people a martial arts forum, regardless of their professions.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another beautiful day in paradise! Now, if I can just work out my soreness from this week’s training…

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is time to except a limitation..... I'm sore all the time training like this twice a week. I can't do anything else the rest of the week
Do you have a day off in between classes?

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any long term effects for Naproxen?
There are side effects from literally everything. Like I said before, specific recommendations require knowledge of health history.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

It is hard for me to understand the dosages. The dosage on Diclofenac is 25mg 2x daily. But works better for me than 800mg Ibuprofen.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is hard for me to understand the dosages. The dosage on Diclofenac is 25mg 2x daily. But works better for me than 800mg Ibuprofen.
Old people problems…😂

Never thought I would get there!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it’d be advisable for everyone to seek medical advice from a medical doctor rather than people a martial arts forum, regardless of their professions.
But... it's the INTERWEBZ! It's gotta be right... I mean, a mostly random person online couldn't know more than a real medical professional who spent like YEARS learning about this stuff, and had to prove they could actually apply it properly before being allowed to work on their own couldn't know more than someone who spent 20 seconds on a search engine...

(Though a few of the posters here are actually medical types who do know what they're talking about...)

Last edited:
OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's because you really cannot compare doses between two different medicines. Morphine and Fentanyl are both good painkillers. 4mg of Morphine would be a reasonable dose. 4mg of Fentanyl would kill you, me, and probably a couple other people as well.
In order to compare different drugs, you have to compare equivalent doses, not equal. That 4mg of Morphine is roughly equivalent to 25mcg of Fentanyl.
The big problems with diclofenac, specifically, are a higher than average rate of anaphylactic reactions (unlikely [but not impossible] to be an issue if you've been taking it for years) and liver injury. Liver injury risk is higher in people who have other liver risk factors. Hence the need to know a persons history.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another beautiful day in paradise. What could make this better? Ribeye steaks, peas, and baked potatoes? Sounds like a plan!

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's because you really cannot compare doses between two different medicines. Morphine and Fentanyl are both good painkillers. 4mg of Morphine would be a reasonable dose. 4mg of Fentanyl would kill you, me, and probably a couple other people as well.
In order to compare different drugs, you have to compare equivalent doses, not equal. That 4mg of Morphine is roughly equivalent to 25mcg of Fentanyl.
The big problems with diclofenac, specifically, are a higher than average rate of anaphylactic reactions (unlikely [but not impossible] to be an issue if you've been taking it for years) and liver injury. Liver injury risk is higher in people who have other liver risk factors. Hence the need to know a persons history.
I have taken it for around 20-years. I feel like I have the normal increased bruising/thinner skin typical in older people and am not aware of any liver/kidney issues. I do get a yearly physical. Most of my issues are skeletal.
Me and the 'itis brothers' do not get along at all.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hoo boy today was a rough day. I'm sitting in my driveway after getting off work and for twenty minutes I'm just chilling. Watching the birds in the yard eat seed, and then it struck me like a semi truck. This is kinda nice, which causes me to realize, I'm getting old! My thirtieth birthday was last april. This ain't funny no more, man! I wanna go to the gym now to counterbalance this dark magic, but I don't wanna drive forty-five minutes right now.