Last Poster #7

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget barbers! Why is it so hard to find good ones?
Oh goodness yes! It’s taken me three years to find a good one in my new locale! He’s not so much a barber, in my case, as a ‘follicular conservationist‘ 🙁

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My wife's been working as a standardized patient for the last few months. Basically for doctors trying to get specific accreditations/licenses, they're presented with a (normally difficult) situation, one where per the scenario they normally messed up, and she acts the part of the upset patient/patient's loved one.

Some of her stories about how they act towards her are wild. I get it, I've seen doctors actually act that way. But to a fake patient, in a filmed setting where you've just spent a ton of money trying to get a license, to be the same level of a-hole is crazy to me.

They'll outright lie to her to make the conversation easier (I don't think they register that she's seen the whole scenario), say they can't talk to her for hipaa (the scenario specifically says that they can) to try to avoid it, show her no empathy whatsoever, try to blame everything on fictional other doctor, condescend or just overly sarcastic. One guy, again on a filmed test for their license, tried to hit on her, not 100% on that), and when that didn't work, moved closer to her and started touching her leg.

There are others who go the opposite direction and will start tearing up, apparently. Which, having read the scenarios and knowing how my wife can act, I get.
Do the doctors know it is a 'test' or is she sent in as a random patient? This is akin to scoring teachers who really know their subject matter but don't have the greatest personality for being a teacher.

Personally, I do not get bent out of shape over someone's personality, I read it a go on with things. But if I know they start lying, the conversation changes real quick.
And this is universal, regardless whether it is my doctor or my plumber.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It’s clearly an effective assessment and hopefully they did not receive their license without at least retraining, addressing their specific deficiencies.

A medical doctor is simply a person who’s good at examinations and thus some of them will be d*ckheads, kn*bscratchers and tos*pots. The same applies to fighter pilots, astronauts, accountants, police officers etc etc.
But I would Much rather have the best professional for any job type, regardless of their personality.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do the doctors know it is a 'test' or is she sent in as a random patient? This is akin to scoring teachers who really know their subject matter but don't have the greatest personality for being a teacher.

Personally, I do not get bent out of shape over someone's personality, I read it a go on with things. But if I know they start lying, the conversation changes real quick.
And this is universal, regardless whether it is my doctor or my plumber.
They are fully aware it's a test. They've flown in for this specific thing, are given a scenario and told that someone will be acting it out, with the scenario being recorded to be graded later. They also know that she is fully aware of the scenario they were given.

Her theory regarding the lies, is that some of them don't bother reading the scenarios fully. So they're just riffing what would sound best (or they think would sound best). They end up getting some key facts wrong that are mentioned in the second paragraph (and apparently yesterday a couple people got the names of the patient wrong).

I'd be very concerned if a doctor couldn't be bothered to read a 2-3 paragraph prompt. It probably means they can't be bothered to read previous notes in a patients chart as well.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
@Dirty Dog, just heard Chevrolet is discontinuing the Malibu to make room for more EV production. This then makes the only totally Gas powered car left in there lineup the Corvette
Looks like the gas powered Camaro will survive for at least one more year, and the have a few SUV's as well.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They are fully aware it's a test. They've flown in for this specific thing, are given a scenario and told that someone will be acting it out, with the scenario being recorded to be graded later. They also know that she is fully aware of the scenario they were given.

Her theory regarding the lies, is that some of them don't bother reading the scenarios fully. So they're just riffing what would sound best (or they think would sound best). They end up getting some key facts wrong that are mentioned in the second paragraph (and apparently yesterday a couple people got the names of the patient wrong).

I'd be very concerned if a doctor couldn't be bothered to read a 2-3 paragraph prompt. It probably means they can't be bothered to read previous notes in a patients chart as well.

I spent several years working in hospitals with doctors in my 20s and early 30s. And to be honest, some, not all, i have dealt with, I’m not surprised by this

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I spent several years working in hospitals with doctors in my 20s and early 30s. And to be honest, some, not all, i have dealt with, I’m not surprised by this
I know plenty like this. I just don't understand how they know they're essentially being tested on their performance and can't be bothered to at least pretend to do the bare minimum.

This isn't all the doctors, but one or two each day she has some sort of story like this. Which amounts to about 20% of them.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Dirty Dog, just heard Chevrolet is discontinuing the Malibu to make room for more EV production. This then makes the only totally Gas powered car left in there lineup the Corvette
It seems that US manufacturers are getting out of the passenger car game altogether.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's already a hybrid powered Coevette. The E-Ray.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I would Much rather have the best professional for any job type, regardless of their personality.
When I was a student, my GP was a grumpy, Calvinist, Scottish bloke. Quite unpleasant, but he knew what he was doing and that was fine with me

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Toyota Yaris Hybrid.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a student, my GP was a grumpy, Calvinist, Scottish bloke. Quite unpleasant, but he knew what he was doing and that was fine with me
I hear you. Throughout the years I had some professors that were nearly intolerable, but they knew their field.