Last Poster #7

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am known to drink actual hot water.
Yes, it does give you weird looks.
I did not want cold water, and no office coffee.
It was something a famous opera singer back in the day did. She had a TV show (way back in the day) and interviewed folks (about opera and classical music) and at one time explained that she had just that, simple hot water in her cup.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am known to drink actual hot water.
Yes, it does give you weird looks.
I did not want cold water, and no office coffee.
It was something a famous opera singer back in the day did. She had a TV show (way back in the day) and interviewed folks (about opera and classical music) and at one time explained that she had just that, simple hot water in her cup.

That is all Mrs Xue drinks. And it I drink water these days, she has me doing it too. I can't drink ice water anymore

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm rereading some of my old, but recent posts.... I need to proof read more carefully. Not have 2 eyes that see things the same is making it difficult, and depending on spell check just ain't workin'... sorry about that

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm rereading some of my old, but recent posts.... I need to proof read more carefully. Not have 2 eyes that see things the same is making it difficult, and depending on spell check just ain't workin'... sorry about that
Spelling doesn't count. If it did it would be math.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I PICKED UP A NASTY Trojan horse FROM OUR FORUM SITE TODAY. I KNOW IT WAS FROM OUR FORUM BECAUSE THIS PARTICULAR COMPUTER I'M USING IS ONLY USED FOR ONE THING, MARTIAL TALK.

I'LL BE GONE FOR A WHILE, HAVE TO TAKE THIS DOWNTOWN AND GET IT WIPED CLEAN.

YOU ALL TAKE CARE.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I PICKED UP A NASTY Trojan horse FROM OUR FORUM SITE TODAY. I KNOW IT WAS FROM OUR FORUM BECAUSE THIS PARTICULAR COMPUTER I'M USING IS ONLY USED FOR ONE THING, MARTIAL TALK.

I'LL BE GONE FOR A WHILE, HAVE TO TAKE THIS DOWNTOWN AND GET IT WIPED CLEAN.

YOU ALL TAKE CARE.

Unless you were hacked...

or possibly Computer Covid... has your computer been near other computers showing symptoms :)

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Catfish and salmon picatta with fettuccine and sauteed spinach.

But I can't find any capers, so I don't know if it's still picatta. I don't speak Italian, unless it's a dish.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Catfish and salmon picatta with fettuccine and sauteed spinach.

But I can't find any capers, so I don't know if it's still picatta. I don't speak Italian, unless it's a dish.
no capers?
They are on the top shelf in the pickle aisle in our Walmart store!
If you have a decently stocked grocery store, you should be able to find some. (or pickle your own Nasturtium buds)

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
no capers?
They are on the top shelf in the pickle aisle in our Walmart store!
If you have a decently stocked grocery store, you should be able to find some. (or pickle your own Nasturtium buds)
Well I realized why I had none on hand, I hate capers and never cook with them. I've got a huge store of foodstuffs, it's easy to forget I don't have everything.

But it turns out there's an excellent alternative to capers in most recipes: diced green olives. Wow.

It was amazing, one of my best dishes ever. Just not sure if it's still "picatta". Italians are picky about their cuisine, if I make this for my Italian friends, there could be trouble.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well I realized why I had none on hand, I hate capers and never cook with them. I've got a huge store of foodstuffs, it's easy to forget I don't have everything.

But it turns out there's an excellent alternative to capers in most recipes: diced green olives. Wow.

It was amazing, one of my best dishes ever. Just not sure if it's still "picatta". Italians are picky about their cuisine, if I make this for my Italian friends, there could be trouble.
Depending on the recipe, I'll also use green peppercorns in brine as a substitute for capers (and vice versa). I make beef wellington a few times each year, for special occasions, and like to make a green peppercorn sauce... which is sometimes a caper sauce. :D

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depending on the recipe, I'll also use green peppercorns in brine as a substitute for capers (and vice versa). I make beef wellington a few times each year, for special occasions, and like to make a green peppercorn sauce... which is sometimes a caper sauce. :D
never heard of those.....

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haaappy International Coffee Day everyone!!!!! Let us celebrate this wondrous nectar that is coffee!!!

20221001_112705.jpg

Screenshot_20221001-205822_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221001-210530_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221001-210909_Gallery.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
ALSO the Aussie fellow Anthony Douglas won the World Barista Championship yesterday! Incredible... am bummed out I missed it, it was held at the Melbourne International Coffee Expo which I usually go to every year, but with my current reflux issues I decided not to go. I could have just gone to look around, buuuuut the tasting is the real drawcard for me.

His winning routine is on YouTube, I'll have to watch.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Bill Mattocks ,I have to say, as a culinary guy, I've never seen any food with as many positive medical studies than coffee.

It's funny because a lot of the kung fu guys claim all sorts of different teas are best for this and that, coughing, training, sleep. But tea does not give these same benefits (they checked).

As I pound my third cup (really the last of 3 in one big 24 ounces), I feel pretty good.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
a lot of the ideas about tea and coffee are from folklore.
I once gave my grandmother 'bean coffee' as old folks called it in the afternoon.
She had requested decaf because otherwise, she could not sleep.
We had just had a big family party, so I was sure we had decaf, otherwise, we did not keep that.
I could not find it. So I made the regular coffee and lied my tail off. SURE it is decaf.
I took a page from my mom's experience in nursing, some folks can sleep like babies with a caffeine pill on board if they think it's a sleeping pill,, while sleeping pills may drop their blood pressure too far, so they can't sleep.

Oma slept like a rock. I asked.
Without telling her why. or she would have developed retro insomnia.....

Latest Discussions