Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
158333_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

None were stock, all had at least a custom pain job and custom tires and wheels
This has been bugging me since I posted it, something just didn't seem right. I was walking past this car at dusk coming from behind and i just wasn't sure. So I took another walk by from the other direction, in daylight..... I was right it was a Chevy...but I was off on the year...it is this... a 1953 Chevy

1953_chevrolet_bel_air_1626268011987988F4FE5362-8883-484F-A1D7-E21464435941.jpeg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw somebody pulling out into the street in an old Mercedes.
And I mean OLD. Naturally, I could not turn and look/ask what year, but I am guessing early 50s, if not earlier.
The dude inside wore a sleveless T-shirt, bright orange.
Back in the day, the driver would have never entered unless clothed in suit and tie (with hat!)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw somebody pulling out into the street in an old Mercedes.
And I mean OLD. Naturally, I could not turn and look/ask what year, but I am guessing early 50s, if not earlier.
The dude inside wore a sleveless T-shirt, bright orange.
Back in the day, the driver would have never entered unless clothed in suit and tie (with hat!)
This reminded me of something. When I was working in insurance for a few years (burned out in consulting and needed a break), I had a client who had an older (not OLD) Rolls Royce. I don't recall which model - probably a mid-70's. It was very nice. I don't know if he ever drove it, but I always hoped so. I doubt those have a very high value, but it was beautiful.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This reminded me of something. When I was working in insurance for a few years (burned out in consulting and needed a break), I had a client who had an older (not OLD) Rolls Royce. I don't recall which model - probably a mid-70's. It was very nice. I don't know if he ever drove it, but I always hoped so. I doubt those have a very high value, but it was beautiful.

When I worked at Midas muffler in the early 80s a guy came in with, if my memory serves, and 1979 Silver Shadow. It needed the entire exhaust system, and parts of it were stainless steel. It was going to cost over $2000 in the early 80s, and we would have to order the parts from Rolls. I took the guy aside and asked him if he was the original owner, he was, I asked why aren't you taking this back the dealer, it is just a mile down the road. He said I figured Midas would be cheaper. I said, "Cheaper than free". HE was shocked, and I was too, he did not know the Rolls Royce warranty. Back then, and maybe still, if you were the original owner, parts were free to replace.

He left, headed t the dealer, and never returned.

190008_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I worked at Midas muffler in the early 80s a guy came in with, if my memory serves, and 1979 Silver Shadow. It needed the entire exhaust system, and parts of it were stainless steel. It was going to cost over $2000 in the early 80s, and we would have to order the parts from Rolls. I took the guy aside and asked him if he was the original owner, he was, I asked why aren't you taking this back the dealer, it is just a mile down the road. He said I figured Midas would be cheaper. I said, "Cheaper than free". HE was shocked, and I was too, he did not know the Rolls Royce warranty. Back then, and maybe still, if you were the original owner, parts were free to replace.

He left, headed t the dealer, and never returned.

190008_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
Wow. That's a sweet deal if you keep the car a long time. And that's a beauty, right there.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wow. That's a sweet deal if you keep the car a long time. And that's a beauty, right there.

Many MANY years ago, Cadillac had the same deal. But that is LONG gone. I think it still stands with Rolls Royce, but I am not 100% sure.

But if in 1956 you were 16 and got a 1956 Rolls and you were still alive and still had it...they would fix it for free, last I knew

1663082871521.jpeg

Note: Just looked it up. it appears it is now only 4 years with unlimited mileage

Rolls Royce Warranty

But I do believe they would still have to honor the guy with the 1956 Rolls, based on original Warranty. This was Cadillacs problem with then did away with the lifetime warranty...

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
probably the same with Craftsman Tools....
Probably, but then it costs a whole lot more money to not get the lifetime warranty for a Rolls than Craftsman tools.

But the Craftsman tools one really annoyed me. I still have all my tools from my mechanics days and about half a Craftsman and the other half Snap On. My Craftsman 1/2 inch ratchet broke a couple years ago and I we nt toSears to get a new one...only to find out they no longer honor that...or really sell Craftsman tools... they are all in Lowes in my area now

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Probably, but then it costs a whole lot more money to not get the lifetime warranty for a Rolls than Craftsman tools.

But the Craftsman tools one really annoyed me. I still have all my tools from my mechanics days and about half a Craftsman and the other half Snap On. My Craftsman 1/2 inch ratchet broke a couple years ago and I we nt toSears to get a new one...only to find out they no longer honor that...or really sell Craftsman tools... they are all in Lowes in my area now
yeah. Never thought I'd see the day when Kobalt and Craftsman share shelf space

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This has been bugging me since I posted it, something just didn't seem right. I was walking past this car at dusk coming from behind and i just wasn't sure. So I took another walk by from the other direction, in daylight..... I was right it was a Chevy...but I was off on the year...it is this... a 1953 Chevy

1953_chevrolet_bel_air_1626268011987988F4FE5362-8883-484F-A1D7-E21464435941.jpeg
I like that green. Very close to a British racing green which is hands down my favorite color on a car.
Many MANY years ago, Cadillac had the same deal. But that is LONG gone. I think it still stands with Rolls Royce, but I am not 100% sure.

But if in 1956 you were 16 and got a 1956 Rolls and you were still alive and still had it...they would fix it for free, last I knew

View attachment 28876

Note: Just looked it up. it appears it is now only 4 years with unlimited mileage

Rolls Royce Warranty

But I do believe they would still have to honor the guy with the 1956 Rolls, based on original Warranty. This was Cadillacs problem with then did away with the lifetime warranty...
There was a story I heard once. Probably not true and I’m 100% sure I don’t recall all of the details, but good nevertheless. An oil guy brought his rolls to Saudi… back in the 70s…. The sand and heat were rough on it and it broke down. He called someone and Rolls Royce flew a technician out to repair it. He asked about the bill and the tech said they’d send it later. Weeks turned to months and he finally called them again to ask about the bill. The person on the phone said, “I’m sorry sir. There must be some misunderstanding. A rolls Royce doesn’t break down.”

So there ya go.

I saw a new rolls in Bellevue last weekend. It was very pretty.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Man, I would love to own that car. (As long as I knew a mechanic who could work on it if necessary)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I like that green. Very close to a British racing green which is hands down my favorite color on a car.

There was a story I heard once. Probably not true and I’m 100% sure I don’t recall all of the details, but good nevertheless. An oil guy brought his rolls to Saudi… back in the 70s…. The sand and heat were rough on it and it broke down. He called someone and Rolls Royce flew a technician out to repair it. He asked about the bill and the tech said they’d send it later. Weeks turned to months and he finally called them again to ask about the bill. The person on the phone said, “I’m sorry sir. There must be some misunderstanding. A rolls Royce doesn’t break down.”

So there ya go.

Many years ago I heard from an Egyptian I meant that was a roommate for a friend of mine at Northeastern. There were expensive cars, including rolls royce all over the desert. He said the guys who own them, when they break down, it is cheaper and easier to call the helicopter to come pick them up, leave the car there, and go buy a new one. Apparently the desert takes them over pretty quickly

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I inherited a 1964 silver cloud 3. It was beautiful. It also was an electrical nightmare. I sold it for 35,000 10 years ago.
Yeah, that's the problem with things of beauty like that. If they're not running like a Swiss watch, and there's not a mechanic that has intimate knowledge and the proper garage nearby, man, it's gotta' be tough.

My heart goes out to you on that. If I still had my old house I might have bought it, kept in in my garage, and just used it for reading books and smoking fatties.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

So there ya go.

I've always called that car color Money Green. It's way cool.

Latest Discussions