Last Poster #7

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, went for a different rapid desk kit, from a different company and...... it came back positive. So it appear I have the Covid....again
Sorry @Xue Sheng. Hope recovery is quick.
For what it's worth, it does seem that the more recent variants, while easier to spread, cause less severe symptoms. Hope that's true for you.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry @Xue Sheng. Hope recovery is quick.
For what it's worth, it does seem that the more recent variants, while easier to spread, cause less severe symptoms. Hope that's true for you.

Last time I had Covid (June 2021) it was like a very bad cold. This time is is just a bad cold. So the symptoms this time are not as bad as last time. The only thing that is worse is my throat, I don't remember it being this sore last time, but ever that appears to be getting better

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Read a thread on reddit...a teen who just took a year off training (TKD) came back last month and is testing for 3rd dan next month. Before that year off was only working on forms according to her. Also apparently did the same thing before her 1st and 2nd dan, and she's18 years old, while also skipping colored belts to go straight to first dan.

From her comments, she's been training 8 years total, got to 2nd dan (with taking time off) in two years, and has only been training 3 of the last 6, so very inconsistently. Essentially 5 years total training time, which technically meets the requirements, but most of that is as a kid and with not sparring. She also doesn't even know what the requirements are for her 3rd dan test she's taking in a month.

That last part follows kukkiwon guidelines, but if I'm reading this right: Kukkiwon : World Tae kwon do Headquarters WTF World Taekwondo Federation her skipping colored belts, having breaks rather than training before both dans, and even without that, spending 2 years total to get from white belt to 2nd dan is not following their guidelines. And yet these tests have apparently occurred in Korea at an "official kukkiwon testing" (not sure if that's an actual thing in Korea).

Oh, and she doesn't even know the requirements for 3rd dan. There's a reason TKD does not have a good reputation in terms of belts.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Life's funny sometimes. Shortly after posting that, I checked FB and found out that two people at my dojo just get their black belt in BJJ. One was training for 15 years and the other for 20.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Life's funny sometimes. Shortly after posting that, I checked FB and found out that two people at my dojo just get their black belt in BJJ. One was training for 15 years and the other for 20.

My youngest was 7 years in Aikido just to get to what is to a brown belt in the kids class and then on to 4th kyu in the adult class.

Heck, it took about 15 years before my taijiquan shifu walked by and said "good job" after that I found myself doing push hands with him a lot...and of course, getting knock to the floor on occasion

Last edited:
OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read a thread on reddit...a teen who just took a year off training (TKD) came back last month and is testing for 3rd dan next month. Before that year off was only working on forms according to her. Also apparently did the same thing before her 1st and 2nd dan, and she's18 years old, while also skipping colored belts to go straight to first dan.

From her comments, she's been training 8 years total, got to 2nd dan (with taking time off) in two years, and has only been training 3 of the last 6, so very inconsistently. Essentially 5 years total training time, which technically meets the requirements, but most of that is as a kid and with not sparring. She also doesn't even know what the requirements are for her 3rd dan test she's taking in a month.

That last part follows kukkiwon guidelines, but if I'm reading this right: Kukkiwon : World Tae kwon do Headquarters WTF World Taekwondo Federation her skipping colored belts, having breaks rather than training before both dans, and even without that, spending 2 years total to get from white belt to 2nd dan is not following their guidelines. And yet these tests have apparently occurred in Korea at an "official kukkiwon testing" (not sure if that's an actual thing in Korea).

Oh, and she doesn't even know the requirements for 3rd dan. There's a reason TKD does not have a good reputation in terms of belts.
One year to 1st Dan, 1 year as 1st Dan to get to 2nd, 2 as 2nd to get to 3rd. So 4 years to 3rd Dan fits the KKW standard.

The KKW doesn't really care what is done with geup ranks. They do not record them, they do not collect any fees from them. I cynically think that last is partly why they couldn't care less about geup ranks. They support skipping Dan ranks (although you still pay them for each of the skipped ranks).

They do have a set of minimum rank requirements, but the key word there is minimum. I spent a little time wandering the KKW site, and I couldn't even find a geup rank curriculum requirement posted. Basically, at 10th and 9th Geup, you learn basic stances, kicks, blocks and punches. Starting at 8th Geup, you learn the Taegeuks, one per geup rank.

However... there are lots of schools that give KKW rank without actually teaching the KKW curriculum. And from things posted here, it's pretty common for students to forget each form as soon as they've tested on it. There are also schools that go beyond those very minimum standards. These schools are to be applauded.

It's unfortunate that more people don't realize that the KKW is not TKD. It's merely one style, generally with a very narrow focus.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This was an absolutely beautiful day in Seattle. Spent most of the weekend working in the yard, and am now enjoying a well earned beer while the rest of the family is at the movies. They're watching Dirty Dancing on the big screen for a 35th anniversary showing.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Today, lunch and dinner was authentic homemade steamed Chinese vegetable Baozi and vegetable Jiaozi, made by an authentic Chinese person... they were delicious. Also I had green tea, dang I've missed tea... but you just have to have tea if you have Baozi and Jiaozi

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Watching Jackie Chan, the Accidental Spy...all I have to say is...that guys nuts.... the stunts he does.....movie is a typical Jackie Chan Martial Arts movie, not bad at all...but he and his stunt team are crazy

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Today, lunch and dinner was authentic homemade steamed Chinese vegetable Baozi and vegetable Jiaozi, made by an authentic Chinese person... they were delicious. Also I had green tea, dang I've missed tea... but you just have to have tea if you have Baozi and Jiaozi
I had my very first tamale this weekend. It was not bad.

Latest Discussions