Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

No.......that's way to expenisve..... more like this

giphy.gif

My neighbors run when they see my weeding outfit...

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
How was everyone's weekend?
Nice thanks for asking, how was yours?

Last class for the term on Saturday. And randomly an instructor from up north messaged me, saying he was visiting my area and taking class at his dear friend's dojo. He's someone I really look up to and have always wanted to learn from him (trained online with him once), and he randomly personally invited me to train haha. Was over the moon, and training was incredible.

But today had the funeral and wake for my grandmother (a very late funeral, almost two weeks after she passed, as they were just shortstaffed). A very hard day but it was beautiful.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I only got a sense of smell recently (like last 2 months), so I recently discovered the smell of skunk. Not a fun one. Were you able to air out the house or is it going to have skunk smell for a few months?
Wait a minute, are you saying that you had zero sense of smell for your entire life, until recently??

If so, how did you suddenly get it?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait a minute, are you saying that you had zero sense of smell for your entire life, until recently??

If so, how did you suddenly get it?
Not quite zero. My sense of smell was probably about 10%. If I stuffed my face in incense and sniffed a lot, I could smell it. I could also sometimes (not always) smell when I was in porta-potties. I can always smell newark when I had to go through there. I smelled spoiled milk once when I was a kid (I think I hid it in my room because my brother kept drinking it, not realizing it would spoil), was not a fan.

I'm not entirely sure how I got a sense of smell. It came as I got over Covid and over the course of the next month has gotten quite a bit stronger. So that's the only thing I can attribute it too-doesn't really make sense that it would be covid, but covid does weird things to people so maybe it gave me smell?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice thanks for asking, how was yours?

Last class for the term on Saturday. And randomly an instructor from up north messaged me, saying he was visiting my area and taking class at his dear friend's dojo. He's someone I really look up to and have always wanted to learn from him (trained online with him once), and he randomly personally invited me to train haha. Was over the moon, and training was incredible.

But today had the funeral and wake for my grandmother (a very late funeral, almost two weeks after she passed, as they were just shortstaffed). A very hard day but it was beautiful.
Mine was fine. Went to a graduation party for my cousin/niece saturday, did a bunch of gardening for my mom sunday then went hiking and out to eat with the wife.

I'm glad you guys were able to have the funeral at least. And sounds like fun, always nice when someone reaches out to you specifically to train!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So covid gave you a sense of smell....... interesting
Yup. Not entirely sure that's what did it, but seems like a really weird coincidence if not. And I'm absolutely positive I have a better sense of smell now than I did before.

My wife finds it hilarious she has to teach me smell associations at almost 30 years old.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not quite zero. My sense of smell was probably about 10%. If I stuffed my face in incense and sniffed a lot, I could smell it. I could also sometimes (not always) smell when I was in porta-potties. I can always smell newark when I had to go through there. I smelled spoiled milk once when I was a kid (I think I hid it in my room because my brother kept drinking it, not realizing it would spoil), was not a fan.

I'm not entirely sure how I got a sense of smell. It came as I got over Covid and over the course of the next month has gotten quite a bit stronger. So that's the only thing I can attribute it too-doesn't really make sense that it would be covid, but covid does weird things to people so maybe it gave me smell?
All I can say is, wow!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yup. Not entirely sure that's what did it, but seems like a really weird coincidence if not. And I'm absolutely positive I have a better sense of smell now than I did before.

My wife finds it hilarious she has to teach me smell associations at almost 30 years old.

You are in for a treat.....and some other things that may make you wish you never got your the sense of smell..... hint...avoid NYC subways in the summer

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are in for a treat.....and some other things that may make you wish you never got your the sense of smell..... hint...avoid NYC subways in the summer
I'm more concerned about nyc in the winter. I have a habit of going over the sewer vents because they're warmer. Get the feeling that won't be as pleasant anymore.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You may find you appreciate food a lot more.
Honestly, no change there. People have said that in the past. It's one of my pet peeves-whenever someone finds out that I couldn't smell well, they'd inform me I have no sense of taste, and argue with me that I just don't understand taste if I tell them I can.

Yet, I can taste everything, I know what I enjoy, I've done blind taste tests with people who have full sense of smells and won. And since getting an improved sense of smell, there's been no change whatsoever to my sense of taste; my guess is that my brain just doesn't relate smell and taste like most people, so a lack or gain of smell doesn't impact it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Honestly, no change there. People have said that in the past. It's one of my pet peeves-whenever someone finds out that I couldn't smell well, they'd inform me I have no sense of taste, and argue with me that I just don't understand taste if I tell them I can.

Yet, I can taste everything, I know what I enjoy, I've done blind taste tests with people who have full sense of smells and won. And since getting an improved sense of smell, there's been no change whatsoever to my sense of taste; my guess is that my brain just doesn't relate smell and taste like most people, so a lack or gain of smell doesn't impact it.
Could be. I only know that for most people, when you take away their ability to smell, it really impacts their ability to taste. Wasn't trying to touch a nerve.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be. I only know that for most people, when you take away their ability to smell, it really impacts their ability to taste. Wasn't trying to touch a nerve.
That's fine. Mentioning it normally doesn't bother me, just caused a flashback to when people try to insist to me on how my senses of taste and smell work, and that does bother me.

But to answer, for me at least, no difference. My best guess is losing your sense of smell impacts taste since your brain already connects the two, but not having it to begin with does not.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tongue directly senses a lot of flavors. Smell does help with detecting subtle differences. But it sounds like your friends don't understand the difference between reduced and NO sense of smell.

Latest Discussions