Last Poster #7

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a fairly mild case of shingles about 10 years ago. It looked like a star constellation arching around the side of my head. Certainly not pleasant but not nearly as bad as the case my sister had.
Since I have already had shingles is there any need for me to get the vaccine?
A friend of mine got shingles and said it was the worst pain he ever experienced in his life....and he was shot twice in Vietnam and once in Mexico when he got car jacked lol. So as soon as im old enough for the shingles vax im getting it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Dooooo it. Best decision I ever made. I still have to have a job right now (stupid kids in college) but im loving being retired from law enforcement

Part of the thinking is the youngest will be in college then. Also I have said..anyone asks me anything about computers or IT related things once I retire....the better be ready for the 3 stooges "Slowly I turn...step by step...INCH by inch"

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dooooo it. Best decision I ever made. I still have to have a job right now (stupid kids in college) but im loving being retired from law enforcement
I mean, it is so much nicer to have a job and a retirement check coming in.
Not working one job does not mean you can't have another one. Especially when you are still young enough.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Part of the thinking is the youngest will be in college then. Also I have said..anyone asks me anything about computers or IT related things once I retire....the better be ready for the 3 stooges "Slowly I turn...step by step...INCH by inch"
well, then you could either charge them a HUGE amount as consulting fee
or tell them outright where to go and how to get there,
while you consider your options (like a vegetarian themed Imbiss)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, these college bills are no joke lol. I don't want my daughter to have large student loan debts so we have been covering a large portion of the ill. Im trying to talk her into transferring to a cheaper school but she's not liking that idea lol. She changed her Major now so Im hoping that opens the door to a new school

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I had a fairly mild case of shingles about 10 years ago. It looked like a star constellation arching around the side of my head. Certainly not pleasant but not nearly as bad as the case my sister had.
I have been told that you can get it repeatedly.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shingles vaccine does not prevent the infection. You have shingles because you had chicken pox. There is an urban myth that once you have chicken pox you will never have it again. That's not actually true. The varicella never goes away. It just takes a nap in your spine. When it wakes up you get shingles. You can think of the shingles vaccine as a sedative for the varicella virus. The virus reduces outbreaks by about 90%.
The specific outbreak you describe is actually potentially one of the worst. When you have an outbreak, the virus follows the path of the nerves as they leave the spine, and the lesions appear at the nerve endings. That's one reason they hurt so badly. Outbreaks on the head and face have the potential to affect the eyes. Going blind is bad...

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine got shingles and said it was the worst pain he ever experienced in his life....and he was shot twice in Vietnam and once in Mexico when he got car jacked lol. So as soon as im old enough for the shingles vax im getting it.
You don't actually "get" shingles. You get chicken pox when you were a kid, and have recurrent outbreaks of that virus throughout your life.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah, these college bills are no joke lol. I don't want my daughter to have large student loan debts so we have been covering a large portion of the ill. Im trying to talk her into transferring to a cheaper school but she's not liking that idea lol. She changed her Major now so Im hoping that opens the door to a new school
Our deal is we pay for two years for all the kids. My daughter and her husband managed to get through their undergraduate degrees without incurring any debt. We shall see how grad school goes. Not too worried about those two, though. Daughter has a biochem degree and is looking to get her Phd in chemistry, and her husband is wrapping up architecture and construction management. He’s already been offered jobs. They will be fine. And they’re incredibly frugal.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Mrs Xue us determined that the youngest will have no bill after college, and I feel the same. However Mrs Xue is not even thinking about colleges tours at lower price colleges.... Mrs Xue is set on Ivy League or darn close to it...notice I keep saying Mrs Xue......not sure what the youngest Xue wants yet

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mrs Xue us determined that the youngest will have no bill after college, and I feel the same. However Mrs Xue is not even thinking about colleges tours at lower price colleges.... Mrs Xue is set on Ivy League or darn close to it...notice I keep saying Mrs Xue......not sure what the youngest Xue wants yet
Honestly, Ivy League is pretty similar in cost to other schools. My daughter got into Yale and the financial aid packages offered made the cost similar to other schools. She decided to go to Texas Christain University they actually cost us more than Yale would have. She liked the weather and being close to Dallas more than CT winters lol

Im trying to talk her into a state school even out of state tuition at Florida State and University of Florida are cheaper then TCU

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Honestly, Ivy League is pretty similar in cost to other schools. My daughter got into Yale and the financial aid packages offered made the cost similar to other schools. She decided to go to Texas Christain University they actually cost us more than Yale would have. She liked the weather and being close to Dallas more than CT winters lol

Im trying to talk her into a state school even out of state tuition at Florida State and University of Florida are cheaper then TCU

There is no way I would ever get my wife on board with a state school

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You don't actually "get" shingles. You get chicken pox when you were a kid, and have recurrent outbreaks of that virus throughout your life.
I was told by a Doctor I had it when I was about 22. If I remember correctly it was like a rash under my arm pit area. Definitely said shingles..I did not have a Clue what it was.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is no way I would ever get my wife on board with a state school
This question is posited purely to expand the conversation.
Why Not a state school?
What do you feel is that much better at a private university and do you feel this is consistent for all private universities?
I can only speak to the field I have experience in which is engineering. I have worked with people from dozens (probably hundreds) of different schools including MIT and Stanford. Consistently, the 'usable' part of the education comes after leaving school. Many people have trouble talking theory after college let alone understanding application.
There is little discernable difference in a 4.0gpa kid from UT and a 4.0gpa kid from MIT. Except for possibly a high sense of entitlement and the debt burden they carry after school.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This question is posited purely to expand the conversation.
Why Not a state school?
What do you feel is that much better at a private university and do you feel this is consistent for all private universities?
I can only speak to the field I have experience in which is engineering. I have worked with people from dozens (probably hundreds) of different schools including MIT and Stanford. Consistently, the 'usable' part of the education comes after leaving school. Many people have trouble talking theory after college let alone understanding application.
There is little discernable difference in a 4.0gpa kid from UT and a 4.0gpa kid from MIT. Except for possibly a high sense of entitlement and the debt burden they carry after school.

I don't think they are better, I went to several and eventually even graduated from one. Mrs Xue is against them.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having mixed emotions right now. Still in my PJs.
Blizzard was giving out free transfers from low population servers to busier places. So the remaining few pack up and move, when a resident there tells me those folks are wanting to up and leave in December. I am starting to hate Blizzard. I wonder f they are in breach of contract by making the game basically unplayable. those are First World Problems though.

Yesterday my dad was buried. In my absence. As I had Surgery 3 weeks ago, and I will have to see an oncologist on Monday.
Four days ago my sister's uncle passed away as well. (a slight chuckle, imagining how my dad would greet him in the afterlife 'what are you doing here' - but it lightened the mood, and would have been true to form)
Hubby is moping around, his issues compounded by worry about my situation.
And yeah, his family is being stupid for the Holidays. But that is A-Ok with me. I was not planning on attending any gatherings this year either. Although word has it they are all vaccinated.

I am feeling rather unproductive, even if I managed to save almost 2000 PDFs in a week. Another First World Problem: the proprietor of one of my favorite websites is calling it quits The lady has amassed an incredible body of work, designing an insane amount of clothing for fashion dolls.
(and some of the files saved with the watermark turning into a gray bar, obscuring the print)

Drinking green tea. I had wine last night and it did not agree with me.

Latest Discussions