Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Honestly as crazy as it sounds it was probably a good thing for me long-term. Since I retired from Law Enforcement and the start of Covid then my wife's diagnosis and treatment of Cancer I really let my health and weight go. I've packed on about 100 pounds since 2019. Im sure that played a major role in the severity of the illness my unhealthy lifestyle and my weight. So it was a huge slap in the face to get my act together. In the month I was in the Hospital I lost 60 pounds. So I'm using that as a jump start to get back in the gym and am looking to start training again.
Not the way you generally want to lose weight, but good for you getting moving again. My wife and I are thinking about retirement in a few years, and I worry about the same thing. I will definitely need some structure of some kind, because I'll tell you on the weekends, if I don't have a project, I will happily drink coffee and watch movies all weekend long. I don't think that would be a sustainable lifestyle for me, though.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
@ballen0351

Watching NHK News this morning. Apparently the exact symptoms you had are getting rather common in India. They think they have a head cold and then all of a sudden their O2 levels of their blood start dropping. This is a major concern at the moment in India
I like to watch NHK news, and generally find myself watching their other shows, too. The sumo tournament is on right now, too. Day 10 today, I think.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
@ballen0351

Watching NHK News this morning. Apparently the exact symptoms you had are getting rather common in India. They think they have a head cold and then all of a sudden their O2 levels of their blood start dropping. This is a major concern at the moment in India
Yeah Im just glad I'm a tech geek and "needed" the latest and greatest smartwatch. I would have never gone to the hospital at all had I not been wearing it. I was reading a story about a State Trooper not too far from me who was just found dead in his bed they say it's covid related. I wonder if it was the same thing as me he didn't feel that bad was just going to ride it out at home and then his levels dropped so low he died.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not the way you generally want to lose weight, but good for you getting moving again. My wife and I are thinking about retirement in a few years, and I worry about the same thing. I will definitely need some structure of some kind, because I'll tell you on the weekends, if I don't have a project, I will happily drink coffee and watch movies all weekend long. I don't think that would be a sustainable lifestyle for me, though.
It definitely is something to be deliberate about or it will sneak up on you. Mine I believe was a combination of my new office job life, covid lockdowns so I wasn't out and about traveling and being active anymore, and then stress eating with my wife's illness. I forget sometimes Im on the downhill side of life now and can't eat and behave as I did in my 20s and 30s I need to start taking my health more seriously.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah Im just glad I'm a tech geek and "needed" the latest and greatest smartwatch. I would have never gone to the hospital at all had I not been wearing it. I was reading a story about a State Trooper not too far from me who was just found dead in his bed they say it's covid related. I wonder if it was the same thing as me he didn't feel that bad was just going to ride it out at home and then his levels dropped so low he died.

Glad you were too

It's Scary stuff, that's for sure.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It definitely is something to be deliberate about or it will sneak up on you. Mine I believe was a combination of my new office job life, covid lockdowns so I wasn't out and about traveling and being active anymore, and then stress eating with my wife's illness. I forget sometimes Im on the downhill side of life now and can't eat and behave as I did in my 20s and 30s I need to start taking my health more seriously.
It's never easy but also it's never to late to turn it all around.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And if I remember right, you are quite the BBQ pitmaster, too. Aren't you?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im a legend in my own mind lol. But yeah I love grilling and smoking but honestly haven't even used my smoker at all this year sadly. But I might fire it up and throw some rock fish on it soon.
Smoked some ribs and salmon over the rainy weekend. We have a nice covered entertainment area but the rain held the smoke in more than usual. Not bad just a little nuisance when checking the meat.
Is a rock fish the same as a rock bass?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you need to get one of those remote thermometers. No checking until the fire is right, no checking until the food is ready.

come to think of it, I have not smoked a thing in 2 years it seems. Once, perhaps.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you need to get one of those remote thermometers. No checking until the fire is right, no checking until the food is ready.

come to think of it, I have not smoked a thing in 2 years it seems. Once, perhaps.
I have a pit boss with an app so I always know the temp, but you have to sop and marinade from time to time!
These pellet grills are like cheating they hold temp so well. Takes some of the old social side of hanging out around the fire pit out of smoking.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a pit boss with an app so I always know the temp, but you have to sop and marinade from time to time!
These pellet grills are like cheating they hold temp so well. Takes some of the old social side of hanging out around the fire pit out of smoking.
smoking is a boring proposition. If you do it right, it's HOURS
Now, the actual act of grilling, it's the caveman thing, Hey Gurk, meat burn good eats.
and it makes thirsty
It is an international phenomenon though, men gather around the fire, the women in the kitchen.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
smoking is a boring proposition. If you do it right, it's HOURS
Now, the actual act of grilling, it's the caveman thing, Hey Gurk, meat burn good eats.
and it makes thirsty
It is an international phenomenon though, men gather around the fire, the women in the kitchen.

I oove to cook outside whether smoking or grilling. I have two kamado grills (a big one and a little guy). Use one or both at least a few times each week.

regarding smoking, it’s not boring; it’s peaceful. Very nice hanging out, reading books, drinking coffee and minding the fire.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I oove to cook outside whether smoking or grilling. I have two kamado grills (a big one and a little guy). Use one or both at least a few times each week.

regarding smoking, it’s not boring; it’s peaceful. Very nice hanging out, reading books, drinking coffee and minding the fire.
Don't disagree.
But it isn't a social event.
The eating part is.

And OMG....the mere existence of a hickory wood fire makes me drool
I think I need to get some pork chops to make Schwenksteaks.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I miss traveling for work mainly for the food lol. Right before Covid I had a BBQ lover's dream trip for work. I started in North Carolina for the Pulled Pork, flew to Texas for Brisket and sausage, and finished in Kansas City for the ribs. I wish I could get out west but we have a west coast person So I tend to stay East of the Rockies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I miss traveling for work mainly for the food lol. Right before Covid I had a BBQ lover's dream trip for work. I started in North Carolina for the Pulled Pork, flew to Texas for Brisket and sausage, and finished in Kansas City for the ribs. I wish I could get out west but we have a west coast person So I tend to stay East of the Rockies.
Sounds great. I spent 3 months in KC a few years back and ate a lot of great food. To be honest, though, the BBQ was good but the steak was amazing. Top two meals I will never forget from KC were both steaks. The first was at a restaurant/jazz club in KC called the Majestic. A dry aged ribeye with a side of grilled asparagus and mashed potatoes, and a barrel aged Manhattan. The club was at one point a speakeasy, and then a furniture restaurant. I guess at some point, the current owners bought them out and turned it back to a jazz club in what used to be the speakeasy downstairs.

The second meal was at a more trendy restaurant, Anton's Steakhouse. This place was pretty cool, too. They hand cut the dry aged steaks to order. You could go downstairs and see their meat locker. They also had a hydroponic garden that was fed by an onsite tilapia farm. As I said, super trendy, but that didn't make it less cool.

I prefer pork ribs cooked like I had them in Texas growing up, dry rubbed and sauced at the table.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Since today is the National Great American Pot Pie day, I think I'll make a simple beef and potato pie for dinner.

Still haven't tried a Ned Kelly pie, @drop bear , but it's on my list.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions