Last Poster #7

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One day when you get older, you will understand that no news is good news.
LOL, I am old.
However, I have gotten the middle of the night phone calls
The topic was definitely not good. so now I dread the phone ringing.
I just meant to clarify, my dad tripped and broke his arm, and 2 weeks later we talked and it was an oh btw thing...
It does not matter how old I get, he will never believe me that I can dump a bucket of water with the directions on the bottom...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, I am old.
However, I have gotten the middle of the night phone calls
The topic was definitely not good. so now I dread the phone ringing.
I just meant to clarify, my dad tripped and broke his arm, and 2 weeks later we talked and it was an oh btw thing...
It does not matter how old I get, he will never believe me that I can dump a bucket of water with the directions on the bottom...
Just a point, those late night phone calls are never good. As a teenager, I kept my ringer full blast as a couple of my friends had SI. Without teenage hormones that's not as much of an issue anymore, but i still keep my volume all the way up, and I never assume it's good when my phone wakes me mid-night.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
DANG!!!

Yesterday at Physical Therapy they did some forcing of the joint to try and increase range of motion so I could possibly avoid the manipulation. When I got home I worked with it rather aggressively myself. Today the stupid thing does not want to bend and walking is more difficult than it was 24 hours ago.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
DANG!!!

Yesterday at Physical Therapy they did some forcing of the joint to try and increase range of motion so I could possibly avoid the manipulation. When I got home I worked with it rather aggressively myself. Today the stupid thing does not want to bend and walking is more difficult than it was 24 hours ago.
That sucks I hope it loosens up on you soon.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
DANG!!!

Hang in, keep at it it will bet better...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Read this today

China Targets ‘Effeminate’ Men in Xi’s Mounting Push for Conformity

And for some reason it made me think that Xi now wants all Chinese Men to look like a Young Bolo Yeung

artworks-fui4fX7KK57U6KNb-CfdpZw-t500x500.jpg

With Moustache of course.

In all seriousness, there is a bit of a power struggle going on in China at the moment, between Xi's group and another group. If Xi wins, per the people my wife knows, China is likely going to have Cultural Revolution 2 and all those that opposed him would be dead. If the other group wins, no cultural revolution, the second coming, but how this would affect the Chinese global view, no one knows.

Xi is a BIGTIME worshipper of Mao and at the moment in public appearances he is even dressing exactly like Mao. So this whole anti-effeminate men thing could just be bringing China back to the way folks had to dress during the Cultural Revolution.

Also on mainland China LBTGQ is looked at as an abhorrent, yet curable disease.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hang in, keep at it it will bet better...

Thanks, I will know more after Thursday
The manipulation could make things better, could make things worse, could do nothing at all. But researching it did not help me since one of the things they said was that it could also break your leg... If I have to go this route...I'm hoping for the makes things better choice.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will know more after Thursday
The manipulation could make things better, could make things worse, could do nothing at all. But researching it did not help me since one of the things they said was that it could also break your leg... If I have to go this route...I'm hoping for the makes things better choice.
I was thinking more of full range of motion techniques. Now that I took another look at your post the word forced does take it to a whole new level....After my operation for a torn meniscus the doctor sent me home and said to work at straightening my knee. With my knee on the exam table he pushed on my knee "hard" and it straightened right out as I almost went through the roof. After that he said now go home and have your wife do that everyday until it loosens up.......she was ruthless, but, diligence paid off.............she did what I was reluctant to do......Let the force be with you Xue sheng and heal.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most, certainly. In the last month, I've personally seen 60-70 Covid infections.
First, thank you for what you are doing. I just got out of the ICU a few weeks ago from COVID. I was intubated for 11 days. In the Hospital for 32. None of the regularly approved treatments worked for me. In fact, they told my wife I probably wasn't going to make it and she should start looking at arrangements for my death. They even woke me up while intubated and the nurse used her personal cell phone to facetime my wife so she could say bye (thankfully I don't remember any of that because that's not a conversation Id want to remember).

I luckily got picked for an experimental treatment study the Department of Defense was working on with the hospital and it was the only thing that worked for me. I have a newfound respect for what nurses do. I was able to leave the Hospital and not need supplemental oxygen and not need to go to a rehab center because of one nurse that listened to my request and helped me get better even against some of the doctor's thoughts at the time. The Docs told me I would need oxygen even at home for a few months at least maybe for life and because I lost so much muscle Id be going from the hospital to a rehab center. I couldn't even stand up my legs were so weak when they finally took the tubes out of me. Definitely wasn't able to walk. But that nurse would come in and help me several times a day to build up my strength to the point that the doc finally agreed to let the PT folks come work with me. I know she didn't need to do that because none of the other nurses would do it. On her days off I would just be left in the bed.

I have a Random question however while I was in the ICU I overheard 2 of the nurses talking about what they needed to put in their letter to the Hospital system to get an exemption from the vaccine. The one nurse was telling the other she took a 3rd nurse's letter and just changes some of the wording and she would give her a copy to do the same. Are you seeing much of that in your hospital? Nurses that are treating covid patients not wanting the vaccine? I kinda thought that was odd to me.

Full disclosure I wasn't vaccinated not that I was against it or anything I just never got around to getting it. My wife has been battling pancreatic cancer and between her doctor visits and chemo and radiation treatments 3 hours away and running my kids all over for school and sports I just never got around to it I just kept putting it off. I am now they gave me the J&J vaccine the day I was released from the hospital.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was thinking more of full range of motion techniques. Now that I took another look at your post the word forced does take it to a whole new level....After my operation for a torn meniscus the doctor sent me home and said to work at straightening my knee. With my knee on the exam table he pushed on my knee "hard" and it straightened right out as I almost went through the roof. After that he said now go home and have your wife do that everyday until it loosens up.......she was ruthless, but, diligence paid off.............she did what I was reluctant to do......Let the force be with you Xue sheng and heal.

Thanks

Yes, I've been through that with both Meniscus repairs and this replacement and I agree, it hurts a lot. 6 days after my replacement surgery I was in PT and the therapist grabs my leg and forces it to a 90 degree bend...that hurt even more. And the other day my wife offered to force my knee to bend....I told her to get away from me, she looked like she would have enjoyed it too much ;)

But with this there is a possibility that the scar tissue is built up a lot more and they want to do a straighten and bend manipulation. It was explained o me that they give me anesthesia so I'm asleep and then the doctor force my knee straight and bends it past 90 degrees about 12 to 15 times. And after that I am guessing I have a migraine in my knee for a few days....I will know more on Thursday

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks

Yes, I've been through that with both Meniscus repairs and this replacement and I agree, it hurts a lot. 6 days after my replacement surgery I was in PT and the therapist grabs my leg and forces it to a 90 degree bend...that hurt even more. And the other day my wife offered to force my knee to bend....I told her to get away from me, she looked like she would have enjoyed it too much ;)

But with this there is a possibility that the scar tissue is built up a lot more and they want to do a straighten and bend manipulation. It was explained o me that they give me anesthesia so I'm asleep and then the doctor force my knee straight and bends it past 90 degrees about 12 to 15 times. And after that I am guessing I have a migraine in my knee for a few days....I will know more on Thursday
that sounds like torture. Im pretty sure its against the geneva convention.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Read this today

China Targets ‘Effeminate’ Men in Xi’s Mounting Push for Conformity

And for some reason it made me think that Xi now wants all Chinese Men to look like a Young Bolo Yeung

artworks-fui4fX7KK57U6KNb-CfdpZw-t500x500.jpg

With Moustache of course.

In all seriousness, there is a bit of a power struggle going on in China at the moment, between Xi's group and another group. If Xi wins, per the people my wife knows, China is likely going to have Cultural Revolution 2 and all those that opposed him would be dead. If the other group wins, no cultural revolution, the second coming, but how this would affect the Chinese global view, no one knows.

Xi is a BIGTIME worshipper of Mao and at the moment in public appearances he is even dressing exactly like Mao. So this whole anti-effeminate men thing could just be bringing China back to the way folks had to dress during the Cultural Revolution.

Also on mainland China LBTGQ is looked at as an abhorrent, yet curable disease.
This post is a perfect example of why the 'informative' choice is needed instead of 'love'. Love just feel weird on this site and it usually not an accurate expression anyway.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
First, thank you for what you are doing. I just got out of the ICU a few weeks ago from COVID. I was intubated for 11 days. In the Hospital for 32. None of the regularly approved treatments worked for me. In fact, they told my wife I probably wasn't going to make it and she should start looking at arrangements for my death. They even woke me up while intubated and the nurse used her personal cell phone to facetime my wife so she could say bye (thankfully I don't remember any of that because that's not a conversation Id want to remember).

I luckily got picked for an experimental treatment study the Department of Defense was working on with the hospital and it was the only thing that worked for me. I have a newfound respect for what nurses do. I was able to leave the Hospital and not need supplemental oxygen and not need to go to a rehab center because of one nurse that listened to my request and helped me get better even against some of the doctor's thoughts at the time. The Docs told me I would need oxygen even at home for a few months at least maybe for life and because I lost so much muscle Id be going from the hospital to a rehab center. I couldn't even stand up my legs were so weak when they finally took the tubes out of me. Definitely wasn't able to walk. But that nurse would come in and help me several times a day to build up my strength to the point that the doc finally agreed to let the PT folks come work with me. I know she didn't need to do that because none of the other nurses would do it. On her days off I would just be left in the bed.

I have a Random question however while I was in the ICU I overheard 2 of the nurses talking about what they needed to put in their letter to the Hospital system to get an exemption from the vaccine. The one nurse was telling the other she took a 3rd nurse's letter and just changes some of the wording and she would give her a copy to do the same. Are you seeing much of that in your hospital? Nurses that are treating covid patients not wanting the vaccine? I kinda thought that was odd to me.

Full disclosure I wasn't vaccinated not that I was against it or anything I just never got around to getting it. My wife has been battling pancreatic cancer and between her doctor visits and chemo and radiation treatments 3 hours away and running my kids all over for school and sports I just never got around to it I just kept putting it off. I am now they gave me the J&J vaccine the day I was released from the hospital.
Jesus, you have been put through the ringer. I am really sorry to hear about all of this, and it sounds like you have been dealing with one thing after the next. Glad you're on the mend, and hopefully your wife is, too.

Regarding health care workers and vaccines, I read an article on NPR a few weeks ago, and they said the rates in healthcare are higher than outside of it. If I recall correctly, the national vaccine rate is somewhere in the area of 65% and in healthcare workers its up around 75%. But they're regular people, too, and I'm sure a cross section of them are susceptible to the misinformation that's being spread around.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jesus, you have been put through the ringer. I am really sorry to hear about all of this, and it sounds like you have been dealing with one thing after the next. Glad you're on the mend, and hopefully your wife is, too.
Thank you, She is on the mend. She had what's called the Whipple surgery at the beginning of July. Basically, they removed a bunch of her pancreas, some of her intestine, some of the stomach, gall bladder and then put the remaining parts back together and hope they all work again. She had an amazing surgeon at Johns Hopkins and the surgeon was pretty confident she removed all the cancer. They even cut out a large portion of the portal vein and put it back together which a lot of surgeons won't touch. She then has to have 4 rounds of chemo post-surgery and she's finished 2 of them so far. So 2 more rounds and she's hopefully done. Then just monitor and hope it doesn't come back.
Im almost fully back to normal. I had a check-up last week and my lungs looked great. Doc said they sounded like I never even got sick. Im still building my strength and endurance back but Im able to walk 2 to 3 miles in the evening now and will start jogging soon. Which is great considering a few weeks ago I couldn't even pick my cell phone up off the table it was too heavy.
Regarding health care workers and vaccines, I read an article on NPR a few weeks ago, and they said the rates in healthcare are higher than outside of it. If I recall correctly, the national vaccine rate is somewhere in the area of 65% and in healthcare workers its up around 75%. But they're regular people, too, and I'm sure a cross section of them are susceptible to the misinformation that's being spread around.
It was just really interesting to listen to them talk about the vaccine as Im laying in bed having almost died from Covid.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thank you, She is on the mend. She had what's called the Whipple surgery at the beginning of July. Basically, they removed a bunch of her pancreas, some of her intestine, some of the stomach, gall bladder and then put the remaining parts back together and hope they all work again. She had an amazing surgeon at Johns Hopkins and the surgeon was pretty confident she removed all the cancer. They even cut out a large portion of the portal vein and put it back together which a lot of surgeons won't touch. She then has to have 4 rounds of chemo post-surgery and she's finished 2 of them so far. So 2 more rounds and she's hopefully done. Then just monitor and hope it doesn't come back.
Im almost fully back to normal. I had a check-up last week and my lungs looked great. Doc said they sounded like I never even got sick. Im still building my strength and endurance back but Im able to walk 2 to 3 miles in the evening now and will start jogging soon. Which is great considering a few weeks ago I couldn't even pick my cell phone up off the table it was too heavy.

That is outstanding. I've lost quite a few friends, family, and coworkers over the last 2 years. It's really great to hear good news. I hope your wife gets through the chemo and radiation. That's no fun at all, but hopefully she comes through with a clean bill of health.

It was just really interesting to listen to them talk about the vaccine as Im laying in bed having almost died from Covid.

Looked for the article I read a few weeks ago, and couldn't find it. But I did see this one from just a few days ago that hits the topic head on.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is outstanding. I've lost quite a few friends, family, and coworkers over the last 2 years. It's really great to hear good news. I hope your wife gets through the chemo and radiation. That's no fun at all, but hopefully she comes through with a clean bill of health.
Yeah sadly her brother died in Oct 2019 from pancreatic cancer. She was diagnosed in Oct 2020 a week from the day he passed. But that's the reason they caught her so early because of her brother so his death saved her life.

Looked for the article I read a few weeks ago, and couldn't find it. But I did see this one from just a few days ago that hits the topic head on.
Thanks Ill look it over

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

My God. That was frightening to read. I'm so glad you're still around and made it through that. My best to you and your wife.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Wow, that's a lot, I'm sorry you had to go through all of that. Glad that you're still alright, and that you don't remember that convo. Definitely not one that you want in the back of your head.

Latest Discussions