Last Poster #7

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the longer we drag this out, the more likely there will be a strain that is resistant and virulent. That is the concern. Initial deaths were a result of the pandemic. But all (most) of the deaths since the vaccine was widely available are self inflicted and entirely our fault. If folks would just get the damn vaccine and think a little about the common good….
Most, certainly. In the last month, I've personally seen 60-70 Covid infections. If we count @Xue Sheng, there were 4 breakthrough infections. One of the breakthrough infections was admitted. One. None died. None were intubated. None had severe symptoms.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, never said that. I said it is used for a strain of covid. The particulars I do not know nor worry too much about since it is not the primary reason I have ever used it for.
I had never even hear of covid until all this crap started. Coronavirus, yes. Covid, no.
Covid appears to be a term for a disease caused by a coronavirus (which would include common colds and influenza). Perhaps it was one of those. At least two of the cold-causing viruses have similar spike proteins - enough so, that some scientists suspect being exposed to those strains may produce a small immune response against SARS-CoV2.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soooo...
we can minimize the mortality (which isn't the actual problem, really) with dewormer (which is available in human grade and dose)
Vs minimize sickness at large via vaccine.
hmmmmmm
That study does make a reasonable argument for the inclusion of ivermectin as a part of the treatment protocol. I don't think anything in it suggests it is prophylactic against infection (there's a sentence that could be interpreted that way, but I read it as reducing the virus count - didn't read the entire article yet to figure that out).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might have been, and there would have been records, of course. If you're not sure, just get one next time you see your provider. If you're still current, it won't hurt anything.
That's probably what I'll do. I'm overdue for a visit, anyway, and have some others on my list. Might as well get all they can give.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Covid appears to be a term for a disease caused by a coronavirus (which would include common colds and influenza). Perhaps it was one of those. At least two of the cold-causing viruses have similar spike proteins - enough so, that some scientists suspect being exposed to those strains may produce a small immune response against SARS-CoV2.
Neither the common cold nor influenza is caused by a coronavirus. They do share some traits, but they're not a coronavirus.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither the common cold nor influenza is caused by a coronavirus. They do share some traits, but they're not a coronavirus.
What are Coronaviruses? This says 2 human coronaviruses cause the common cold (there are other causes, of couse).

Apparently, I was misremembering something I'd read/heard about influenza.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are Coronaviruses? This says 2 human coronaviruses cause the common cold (there are other causes, of couse).

Apparently, I was misremembering something I'd read/heard about influenza.
I'll expand on my comment...
The flu is caused by an influenza virus. There are four basic types, each of which tends to mutate over time. That's why the vaccine is changed every year; to try to cover the changes.
Colds are caused by Parainfluenza, RSV, Rhinovirus and coronavirus. The coronavirus cases are the least common.
They do all share some characteristics, starting with their preference for the respiratory system, but they're not the same thing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
He said a strain of Covid. I don't know the general usage, but that could refer to other coronavirus-induced diseases (other than Covid-19).
Sure. I’m skeptical that a deworming medicine will be effective against a virus in cows. I don’t think @dvcochran is very credible in this area. So I’m asking for some credible information.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are saying this is not correct?

Is the common cold caused by a coronavirus?

Yes, but not all colds are caused by a coronavirus. “Common colds can be caused by a variety of different viruses [and] one type that causes the common cold is the coronavirus,” says Prathit Kulkarni, M.D., assistant professor of medicine in infectious diseases at Baylor College of Medicine in Texas.

The human coronaviruses 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1 are the ones that can cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses like the common cold, per the CDC.

Colds can also be caused by rhinovirus and respiratory syncytial virus, Dr. Watkins says.

Source: Yes, the Common Cold Is Caused by Coronaviruses—Here’s What You Should Know

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are saying this is not correct?

Is the common cold caused by a coronavirus?

Yes, but not all colds are caused by a coronavirus. “Common colds can be caused by a variety of different viruses [and] one type that causes the common cold is the coronavirus,” says Prathit Kulkarni, M.D., assistant professor of medicine in infectious diseases at Baylor College of Medicine in Texas.

The human coronaviruses 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1 are the ones that can cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses like the common cold, per the CDC.

Colds can also be caused by rhinovirus and respiratory syncytial virus, Dr. Watkins says.

Source: Yes, the Common Cold Is Caused by Coronaviruses—Here’s What You Should Know
It's worded in a misleading way. The way it's written, it gives the impression that most colds are caused by coronavirus. That's not correct. They're the least common cause.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it fighting a strain of covid, or somthing caused by a different coronavirus?
That I cannot fully answer. I do know the words covid and coronavirus have been thrown around a great deal in the TCA and NCBA.
It was on the labels of most bottles but so much has been made of it I do know it has been pulled for some if not all. Listerine and Clorox also used to state this.

Before all this I would say what we saw in cattle was commonly called bovine pneumonia. We treat with the best known measures which is broader in spectrum than most human treatments I suspect.

This article may answer your question.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That I cannot fully answer. I do know the words covid and coronavirus have been thrown around a great deal in the TCA and NCBA.
It was on the labels of most bottles but so much has been made of it I do know it has been pulled for some if not all. Listerine and Clorox also used to state this.

Before all this I would say what we saw in cattle was commonly called bovine pneumonia. We treat with the best known measures which is broader in spectrum than most human treatments I suspect.

This article may answer your question.

Thanks for posting that.

Yes, I can see where some of the talking heads started this mess from. I suspect they don't recognize that "coronavirus" is just a description of the shape of the proteins, and that not all coronaviruses are necessarily similar, nor do they necessarily respond to similar treatments.

And there are enough folks out there who won't read anything beyond what those talking heads say, that they just accept what is said without question.

In any case, it would be interesting to hear someone who really understad viruses describe how similar or different these bovine viruses are to SARS-CoV2, and how much those similarities and differences matter in how it attacks the body and is affected by antibodies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that.

Yes, I can see where some of the talking heads started this mess from. I suspect they don't recognize that "coronavirus" is just a description of the shape of the proteins, and that not all coronaviruses are necessarily similar, nor do they necessarily respond to similar treatments.

And there are enough folks out there who won't read anything beyond what those talking heads say, that they just accept what is said without question.

In any case, it would be interesting to hear someone who really understad viruses describe how similar or different these bovine viruses are to SARS-CoV2, and how much those similarities and differences matter in how it attacks the body and is affected by antibodies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that.

If you have not already, there are some really interesting articles about covid and parasitic control in Africa, who has a very low infection rate.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That study does make a reasonable argument for the inclusion of ivermectin as a part of the treatment protocol. I don't think anything in it suggests it is prophylactic against infection (there's a sentence that could be interpreted that way, but I read it as reducing the virus count - didn't read the entire article yet to figure that out).
well, I am a little confused by the compilation of studies listed: A great many have not happened yet, at least one was aborted and relatively few were listed as complete.

Seems that different studies suggest that Ivermectin does nothing against COVID 19.
In any case, people should not take the stuff from the feed store.
It is not made for humans, not dosed for humans and can kill humans.

As I understand it, initial results of tests conducted on cell cultures seemed to indicate there was something there.
But the subsequent results were less than inspiring.

Vaccines however show promise to reduce the risk of getting the disease, or reducing the severity greatly.
I find it ironic that the majority of the disinformation spreaders are actually fully vaccinated.
There should be legal ramifications for killing thousands of people in this fashion!

And it isn't just the people who get COVID due to this malarky, but also those people who cannot be seen by a doctor or receive treatment because the lemmings fill up every single hospital bed in their community.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find it ironic that the majority of the disinformation spreaders are actually fully vaccinated.
There should be legal ramifications for killing thousands of people in this fashion!
Can you clarify this one? You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, I am a little confused by the compilation of studies listed: A great many have not happened yet, at least one was aborted and relatively few were listed as complete.

Seems that different studies suggest that Ivermectin does nothing against COVID 19.
In any case, people should not take the stuff from the feed store.
It is not made for humans, not dosed for humans and can kill humans.

As I understand it, initial results of tests conducted on cell cultures seemed to indicate there was something there.
But the subsequent results were less than inspiring.

Vaccines however show promise to reduce the risk of getting the disease, or reducing the severity greatly.

And it isn't just the people who get COVID due to this malarky, but also those people who cannot be seen by a doctor or receive treatment because the lemmings fill up every single hospital bed in their community.
Meta-studies are always nothing more than suggestive, in my experience. Even with the best attempts to control for variables in the analysis, it never seeems to work as well as a study designed ot control for that variable. The language used in the abstract on that one is pretty vague, and my statistics knowledge is too old to help me understand the confidence percentages they cite.

I've not been able to find any study with any solid evidence ivermectin has strong (or even significant) effect reliably.

Latest Discussions