Last Poster #7

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that for cows? You said you use it for cows to treat COVID-19.
Nope, never said that. I said it is used for a strain of covid. The particulars I do not know nor worry too much about since it is not the primary reason I have ever used it for.
I had never even hear of covid until all this crap started. Coronavirus, yes. Covid, no.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nope, never said that. I said it is used for a strain of covid. The particulars I do not know nor worry too much about since it is not the primary reason I have ever used it for.
I had never even hear of covid until all this crap started. Coronavirus, yes. Covid, no.
You said:
Ivermectin fights a strain of Covid in bovine livestock. I have no idea if it works on humans or is even offered as such. I do know it has a very broad range of benefits.
I’m curious to see a link to something about ivermectin being used to treat cows for something other than worms.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You said:

I’m curious to see a link to something about ivermectin being used to treat cows for something other than worms.
I clearly said it fights a strain. Just like old labels of Listerine and Clorox used to say.

Look at the Durvet or Ivomec or any of the manufacturers websites.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, that is it primary and original use but it is on the very long list off label used medicines.

To be clear, I am not advocating one way or the other. But there is about as much information on the web for using it as there is against using Ivermectin. It is out there, just look for it.
Here is a random one I grabbed.
soooo...
we can minimize the mortality (which isn't the actual problem, really) with dewormer (which is available in human grade and dose)
Vs minimize sickness at large via vaccine.
hmmmmmm

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You said:

What is ivermectin used for?

Ivermectin is an anti-parasitic drug that is used to treat river blindness and intestinal roundworm infection in humans and to de-worm pets and livestock. Lotions and creams containing ivermectin are also used to treat head lice and rosacea.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
soooo...
we can minimize the mortality (which isn't the actual problem, really) with dewormer (which is available in human grade and dose)
Vs minimize sickness at large via vaccine.
hmmmmmm
Like i said, again, I am not advocating either way.
If you want to do a little reading lookup the stats and facts in Africa.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not all that surprising. Couple of notes. If you get it, and presuming you survive without long term ill effects, they still recommend the vaccine. That's mentioned in the article. Also, from the article

This is kind of like polio. Reinfection of polio was very rare, and most kids who survived it were immune for the rest of their lives. They were also dealing with significant physical issues for the rest of their lives like paralysis. I see this as kind of like that. :)
What I couldn't find in that study (possibly because it isn't commonly tracked) was which strain folks were infected with. I expect those infected with the Delta strain have higher immunity to Delta than those who were previously infected with Alpha (or another strain). But I haven't read any discussion of this yet.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Current recommendations are to get a tetanus booster every 10 years, 5 if you get cut. We recommend don't. I tell people to pretend it's 2020, and get a booster every time the year ends in zero.
Which reminds me, I'm probably way overdue, unless that was part of the protocol prior to my trip to India.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ivermectin fights a strain of Covid in bovine livestock. I have no idea if it works on humans or is even offered as such. I do know it has a very broad range of benefits.
Is it fighting a strain of covid, or somthing caused by a different coronavirus?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a heck of a scare with my puppy yesterday. I attached her leash wrong and she bolted out of it into the street. It's a fairly busy street on a steep hill.

With this new found freedom she wanted to play keep away from dad. And she's very fast. I had one shot at a flying tackle and took it. Coming down on top of her I was afraid of breaking her legs so I scooped her in a death grip and rolled.

Got her. But this morning I look like an infomercial for bandaids and Neosporin. Cracked my elbow so hard on the pavement I initially though I broke something. I have good breakfall, but not without at least one of my arms.

Damn, I'm sore. But I tell you one thing, if it wasn't for training in Martial Arts I never would have been able to do that. It teaches you to think while on the move under stress.
My MA training has helped me more in non-martial situations than I could ever want it to help me in fights.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it still recommends the vaccine. I had the vaccine, I still got Covid. But I believe I had a much easier time of it because of the vaccine
There's a lot of that going around now. Prior to Delta, the vaccinated were apparently difficult to infect. Now we're mostly harder to kill.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Semi related, not so fun fact. COVID is the leading cause of line of duty deaths for police, by a lot.

167 out of 280 so far this year and it’s speeding up. The number on June 30 was less in the 70s.

243 out of 372 last year

Each are more than the total number of line of duty deaths in 2019, which was 151.
Yeah, they are unable to avoid exposure. Unfortunately, some of the guys I've worked with at the courthouse chose to oppose masks. They didn't have a choice on the vaccine (sheriff required it).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
then again, in certain jurisdictions, there was a tendency to not jump on the scientifically proven common sense bandwagon in terms of mitigating measures.
(In short, too many cops neglected to wear masks, or get vaccinated.)
In our county, the sheriff opposed masking, to the point that he refused to enforce mask mandates, even in governement buildings (unless the senior occupants of those buildings required them).

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which reminds me, I'm probably way overdue, unless that was part of the protocol prior to my trip to India.
It might have been, and there would have been records, of course. If you're not sure, just get one next time you see your provider. If you're still current, it won't hurt anything.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There's a lot of that going around now. Prior to Delta, the vaccinated were apparently difficult to infect. Now we're mostly harder to kill.
But the longer we drag this out, the more likely there will be a strain that is resistant and virulent. That is the concern. Initial deaths were a result of the pandemic. But all (most) of the deaths since the vaccine was widely available are self inflicted and entirely our fault. If folks would just get the damn vaccine and think a little about the common good….

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely.

Although most of what I've read seems to say the vaccine may lower transmission a bit, but doesn't prevent it, is that what you mean in reference to seeing virtually zero transmissions?

I need to research more haha, always thought the vaccine didn't prevent transmission entirely.
What I've seen (nothing updated recently, so there may be newer info) was that pre-Delta it lowered transmission risk (both outward and inward) significantly. The risk of outward transmission is mitigated much less with the Delta variant. With that being the dominant variant, it's what most media reports on.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah, they are unable to avoid exposure. Unfortunately, some of the guys I've worked with at the courthouse chose to oppose masks. They didn't have a choice on the vaccine (sheriff required it).
Yup. Combination of anti mask, anti vaccine, and lack of choices.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why I ain't going back to work until this thing is over. And I've had both shots, the booster shot and a flu shot. Next week I'm going to get vaccinated for shingles and pneumonia.

Maybe I'll never go back to work. The pup tells me I shouldn't. Maybe she knows something, she's always been straight with me.
I've yet to meet a dog that suggested anyone should go back to work, unless they had a habit of taking the dog.

Cats are another matter.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've yet to meet a dog that suggested anyone should go back to work, unless they had a habit of taking the dog.

Cats are another matter.
Speaking of dogs. My wife is trying to convince me to adopt a chihuahua. We have two cats, a Pyrenees and a St. Bernard. Why do we need another animal in the house?

Latest Discussions